don't click here

How would you redesign Sonic the Hedgehog?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Pulse, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    This. I myself was a little disturbed to look into her eyes. They were the most unsettling features.

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Is that the PC version or something? I've had that game on PS1 for years and the countdown at the start is NOT on it.

3. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I don't think it's in either version. I'd like to know where he got it from.

4. PorpoiseMuffins

PorpoiseMuffins

Saturday Morning Sonic
    Nonsense. If Sega knew what the hell they were doing, their business would be doing a whole lot better right about now and Sonic wouldn't be getting trashed by every critic on the planet. Just because SEGA is a professional corporation does NOT mean they know what they're talking about. In fact, they have specifically stated on multiple occasions that they are NOT happy with the performance of the Sonic brand. "Professional corporations" go out of business and/or suffer profitability all the time because they make bad decisions. The fact is that you and I don't know what design choice would be more profitable, and Sega may very well not know either. The only way to know for certain is to try both in the marketplace and see which succeeds.

Since Sega has no competition in the market for Sonic games, they won't know until they try. Considering Needlemouse's target audience is old school gamers and classic Sonic fans, now's a better time than any to give it a shot.

EDIT: By the way, the model you guys created is EPIC.

EDIT 2: Cleaned it up a little bit

[​IMG]

EDIT 3: aaaand version 2

[​IMG]

5. Alright, I somehow managed to read through this whole thread. I was kinda hoping for more artwork on the later pages, given what the topic is.

It just ended up turning into "WE NEED CLASSIC SONIC BACK NOW!"

Not that I dislike the job you guys did with that Sonic model, it's actually pretty appealing, it just feels less like a 3D model now and more like an airbrush painting.

I suggest someone trying another one from a different angle so we could see how the spines work from the other directions, because those things have become somewhat two dimensional.

6. Lord Kanti

Lord Kanti

They should use this model.

Forget the Unleashed model, and any other model. This one is the best. Great job!

7. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    It'd be killer to see a 2D Sonic game with airbrush graphics.

8. Ross-Irving

Ross-Irving

Airbrush?! EWWWW, I wouldn't want that. It does just the opposite of making a character look like they dimension and depth by making them look like some european furniture (you know, with cellophane or whatever it is covering the couches and chairs). Sonic the Hedgehog should not look like he belongs on the front of a cereal box.

9. Sonic O's! Part of this balanced breakfast!

I wouldn't mind if it was Cel-shaded correctly to resemble more of the artwork in a way. Sonic the Hedgehog: Wind Waker?

10. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    Am I the only one who has no real problems with the aestetics of Sonic and the game as a whole so far? Yeah, seeing classic Sonic again in 3D would be cool, but Sonic honestly doesn't look bad the way he is right now. There seem to be so many classic goodies packed into this son far; returning badniks, signposts, the spindash which has been absent for too long, and SEGA have been teasing true momentum based gameplay for a while and those who've analysed the video to ridiculous degrees have found potential for alternating paths and such. It's a little early to absolutely confirm 100% momentum gameplay and such, and in all honesty, I'm really not expecting this to be as memorable, good, or even better than the classics were, but I am expecting a good game, and the color of Sonic's eyes and length of his legs won't change how much fun it is.

11. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I think you mean, RINGS! With Chaos Emerald shaped marshmallows, coming in a whole seven colors.

12. Sancho

Sancho

Anyone who says they wouldn't consume the ever-lovin' shit out of some Sonic Whole Grain Rings is either lying, or was incessantly abused as a child.

Well, with the rather lackluster "Hedgehog Week" drawing to a close, I went ahead and scanned all of my notebook sketches of my ideal Sonic that I've doodled up this week. Couldn't be bothered to clean 'em up or even edit out the notebook lines, but here they are:
    [​IMG]

Green eyes I can live with, but the thing I miss most of all about oldschool Sonic is good ol' buzzsaw back. If classic Sonic was a full set of four fingers, Modern Sonic is three and a pinky knuckle. The spines on his spine really oughtn't be so disproportionate to those on his head. Modern's long, thin torso is obnoxious, but the uselessness of his tiny back quills just make him look so damn top heavy. The only real difference between my design and the CD era's is my little shoulder muscle bubble. Whatever.

Ooh, bonus pic, inked and coloured by Trunks earlier this week:
    [​IMG]

13. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    This explains everything.

14. Sancho

Sancho

Right?
    See, I would love to see an extended sequence of this chase. Just when you finally corner Robotnik, a terrifying roboskeleton rips through his fatman suit and viciously reams your shit.

15. When did the art come back to this thread? (The Manips don't count, those are edits)

See, that Sonic's pretty adorable. Ready for adventure filled with Whimsy.

Also, I'm liking the way you drew that Robotnik.

16. For a second there I thought you were taking the Sonic I edited (Edit3 version2) and claiming it as your own. After looking at it, it seems you smoothed it out a bit on the forehead. Atleast from what I can tell anyways. Here is the original post on Sonic Retro

17. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    This is absolutely perfect. If we had a Sonic with this sort of universal design I would be much, much happier. It's just wonderful, and it takes the best of both styles. I love it. :)

18. PorpoiseMuffins

PorpoiseMuffins

Saturday Morning Sonic
    Nope, I didn't intend to claim anything. The well-deserved credit is all yours.

I just applied an edge-preserving smooth filter to clean up the edges and remove some of the artifacts from all the prior edits and format conversions. The first image I also blew up a bit larger in the process.

Actually, do you have an uncompressed version of your original edit, say a png file? That would obviously be better than trying to smooth it out after the fact (assuming the pre-compressed image is any cleaner than the jpg).

19. Yeah, Hew James is right. That's the sonic I'd love to see come back.

And I will almost ALWAYS ink/color a good sonic pic. :)

And bad ones, like this:
    [​IMG]

20. I like that filter. I do not fully know all of photoshop, just mainly use it like a digital oil painting program (so I really don't use much filters, but should). I do have the image in a photoshop file .psd that I made from a .png file. However for some odd reason tinypic will not allow me to upload the .psd file. If you could suggest a another way that would be great.

Oh, and sorry if I seemed a bit paranoid in regards to the Sonic edit I did..... I have had some bad experiences in the past with my art (in terms of people trying to take it), but I really had fun with this whole Sonic design thing. So I really don't post much of anything, however, after posting this Sonic edit as well as the three badniks I submitted (people seem to really like the barrel and Sonic). I am getting some nice exposure, and more confidence in setting up my online portfolio (and believe you me I have a lot of stuff).

I am sure you can understand my concern. And again I hope I didn't convey anything in a wrong way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.