don't click here

Concept Art & Mockups - Aquatic Ruin Mockups Needed!!

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vangar, Mar 13, 2008.

1. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Really captures HTZ! Love it! High above Earth where the fire pits are always burning. The road Sonic must take to enter the mystic caves :D

2. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Okay, put in with the other assets for comparison's sake, I'll agree that the pivot and post don't fit stylistically. The post has a texture that nothing outside of the background does, and the pivot's shading looks fairly smudged now. To fix it, sharpen up the edges around the center of it. To add a bit more character to it, and since there's been complaints, and justified ones, about the swirl design, you could segment the outer ring to make it look like it's been divided into 6 or 8 beveled areas.

This is also a reminder that we need someone to take a crack at those trees.

3. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    fixed

Can't quite imagine what you have in mind.
    I can do that :P

Anyway, no-one noticed I got rid of the grass? Doesn't it look prettier/more original?

4. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    Not really, it just looks lazy and incomplete.

5. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Indeed, though it would be a lot less work for me if we didn't have to have grass.

6. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    T.O., here's a an example of what I was describing:

[​IMG]

Of course, you'd have less emphasis on the dividing lines, not to mention fewer of them in yours, but I hope this gets the general idea across better.

7. test-object

test-object

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard. Your arguments are invalid.

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Yep. Those trees are now sub par. And also, look at how the mountains/Steppes/Cliffs in the background are shaded, then look at the post. That seems to work, actually. But I do agree, something else in the foreground needs to have a similar style as well. How about the tree trunks? I might mock those up myself...

Also, maybe the blue blocks of the level can be shaded similar to the blue part of the see-saw, but I think that would be a major undertaking. Not necessarily bad, but major.

9. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    Well at the very least you could try to work in some kind of floor so that it doesn't just stop, but I don't understand how it could be more work considering the whole point of the original level art was that it was Emerald Hill with a palette change. And it certainly doesn't look very good as it is, with plants growing straight out of the rock

10. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I think Gambit is just on about the grass in general on how it would be a hell of a lot less work if there was no grass in sonic at all.

11. test-object

test-object

[​IMG]
    If we alter the floor a bit, sticking weedses in-between the rocks, Gambit will have less work to do (faster results) and we'll have a fresh zone. Isn't it weird how the rocks in the background have absolutely no grass on them, yet the one you're walking has?

12. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe

I'm up for seeing different vegetation. That really could be used in an really effective way to make HTZ more independent to EHZ without changing the level into something that it isn't. A good way you could view it if there was different plant species, Like different hight and colour to the plants.

[​IMG]

Even weirder when you see it in real life. what's even weirder is seeing ice on a desert. I've taken photographs of that when flying over China's great desert.

13. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Exactly. There's a reason nobody else has tried to do anything with the grass since Sciz's concept of how it should look. It isn't because nobody has let anyone else work on it, it's because it's a pain-in-the-ass to make. Although, I find it kinda fun to make for some reason.

14. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    Don't be stupid, those are obviously placed above soil, on which the seeds fell

15. test-object

test-object

Ugh... you know what I'm implying... I'm already working my ass off on this zone to finally getting it look good.
    Don't argue with me, rather help me find some alternatives.

16. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    [​IMG]

Since lot of people were trying shit with that tree, random 3-min concept.

The tree is not simetrical, I know, but why it needs to be that way? Try to make it more "realistic" inside a toon enviroment, and please don't make it a Lego tree.

17. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Good concept El. ;)

Test, my suggestion is to keep it geometrical, while adding volume shading as suggested by EL's light green spots.
    Let go of the textures in this case, they just overcomplicate it!

P.s. I sent you a couple of PMs yesterday, did you receive them?

18. test-object

test-object

Good job on taking a different angle on Hill Top. I'm pretty sure I'll implement the trunk curl but I don't think a brown wooden trunk base works. The light blue was a recurring theme throughout the stage, I don't think we should break it. Furthermore, realism knows no place in Sonic.

What textures? The tree ain't got any.
    (Also, yes I recieved the PMs, I was just sleeping when you sent em.)

19. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
  20. test-object

test-object

So I herd you liek mockups?
    [​IMG]

Save our souls. It will be one day, but today is not that day.

Anyway, I fiddled around with the tree a tiny bit (corrected shading) and seeing it with the mock-up concludes the tree is fitting for the stage. Until you guys got more ideas, I'm gonna play with the lightning, as in El's drawing.