Concept Art & Mockups - Aquatic Ruin Mockups Needed!!

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vangar, Mar 13, 2008.

1. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    You just got me thinking there. What if Death Egg Zone was semi 3D. When you defeat Robotnik, The Death Egg starts exploding and 3D sections come off breaking apart as they fall to really dramatically show it falling apart instead of just seeing explosions. It would have to be given a test first to see if it fits with 2D. But that would be a good example to show some 3D art represented. If it looks really good but would be better in 2D. It could be traced over with 2D art.

Do you think you could do something like that MaximusDM? Some kind of destructive version in motion?

2. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    Someone already made the ending of Sonic 2 in 3D. I hadn't seen it until yesterday. And it seemed fairly well done. I've never beat Sonic 2 myself, surprising as it is. o_o

3. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    It's the bit before that. Have a look on Youtube on the last battle of DEZ to see what I'm on about.

4. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Ah, well, RGXSuperSonic, your question been answered already, but I would suggest looking more towards the official level art thread for answers on the art direction since that thread generally only contains stuff that's been approved. I suppose I'm a bit at fault since I've not posted anything new on here in awhile, but regardless, I'd go to the official threads for certain aspects of the game whether it be level art, badniks, or something else.

5. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Good to see you back around here RGX. We could definitely use your help in polishing up that Metal Sonic remaster you did awhile back should you have the time for it.

6. Vague Rant

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute Oldbie
    What are you doing uploading a bitmap, anyway? Convert to PNG, then upload. I'm not saying for sure that TinyPic won't mess with it, but they're more likely to leave PNGs alone than BMPs, because they have their own hosting and bandwidth to worry about. I can't think of any reason to put a bitmap on the Internet. Either way, I'd trust myself to convert an image to PNG more than I'd trust generic image host #343234.

7. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    wait a tick, didn't Mindchamber make a great/perfect Metal Sonic a while ago?

8. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
  9. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    Something seems off about Silver Sonic for some reason. Can you post a side-by-side comparison with the original sprite?

EDIT: Wait, I think I know. The left leg is bent in a rather strange position, creating a very spatially confusing posture which doesn't exist in the original sprite.

10. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Thanks for pointing that out T.O. Not sure how I got that mixed up.

There are still a few areas on it that need cleanup work done. Some of the curves along the back spines have a bend in them where there should be a continuous arc, and some division lines are needed where the ears connect to the head. I'm sure others can point out improvements as well.

11. test-object

test-object

Concept concept conceeeeept!
    Loads of additions coming up, but this will be the actual LAVA part of the lava. There will be flames engulving it (according to Vincent at least.)

[​IMG]

Any tips aside from "make it in 3D"?

12. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Yes: Check out this to make it more reallistic and awesome. You should add some white glows in the light parts too.

13. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Great start! :)

For this WIP my suggestion goes to make the flames coming out more detailed and the top part not melted into a liquid surface(as MTZ Lava is).
    EDIT:

As per flames aspect I mean something like this: [​IMG]

14. test-object

test-object

lol, way ahead of you. I didn't use it yet though. This was only the WIP.

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Good work, but where did those "original" graphics come from? They're all wrong.

EDIT for clarification: They look all blocky and are made from pieces of the different animation frames.

16. test-object

test-object

dunno, ask Vincent

[​IMG]
    Gotta put more emphasis on the flames surrounding the lava, but it ain't easy.

17. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Making those flames is not an easy task for sure!
    Finding the correct plugin / fire brush, could prove to be very handy for this remastering, but it's all about experiments, really..!

@Test & ICE
    [​IMG] (APNG)
    If anyone has a better rip please do post it! :)

18. FlackoWeasel

FlackoWeasel

Blue cheese lover! Member
    Awesome to see how one people works on 2D style and other 3D. Awesome work MaximusDM!

When looking the 2D HD and the 3D Chemical plant, I kinda thought at the Monkey Island on Xbox Live, with the switch from old to HD function. That would be also sweet if MaximusDM does the 3D ver and other members 2D (Sprites stays the same) and people can switch it by their likes.

If this doesn't work, no harm done. Don't really want to bother hard working people with harder works. It was only an idea when watching the 3D and 2D pictures.

Keep up the good work.

19. RGX

RGX

Animator Member
    US
    Sorry CK, I never worked on Silver Sonic, you must have mixed me up with someone else, if I do work on it, most likely it'll be done from scratch.

20. test-object

test-object

Robautnich > Ecchumahn.

[​IMG]