don't click here

That's a...Chaos Emerald!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by David The Lurker, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    BUT MAYBE THOSE CHAOS EMERALDS THAT I BROUGHT BACK WITH ME HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH WHAT'S HAPPENING

2. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    The way I see it, it is simply being constantly retcon'd.

Sonic 1- 6 emeralds.

Sonic 2- 7 emeralds

Sonic 3K- 7 emeralds, BUT WAIT KNUCKLES AHS ALWAYS BEEN THEIR GUARDIAN how did they appear on sonic 1 SHUSH. Super Emeralds were retcon'd out of history as they only existed for the purposes of connecting the two games. Either that or they are a reaction to the Master Emerald.

Sonic CD- Time Stones lol

Sonic Championship- 8 emeralds

Sonic Adventure- 7 emeralds. "but in the past they are huge" DON'T THINK ON IT. Chaos is their God

Sonic Adventure 2- 7 emeralds, a giant space cannon in space was built using them as an engine

Sonic Heroes- 7 emeralds

Shadow the Hedgehog- 7 emeralds, an ancient alien has wanted them ever since 4000 years ago

Sonic Battle- 7 emeralds broken into pieces, ancient robots eat them

Sonic Riders 1 and 2- 7 emeralds that everyone seems to find easily

Sonic 2006- 7 Deus ex Machina that are laying around and make people come to life

Sonic Unleashed- remember when we said Chaos was their god well that's bull they are actually powered by gaia whom we never heard anything of and they have these huge temples that we never heard anything of.

It seems to me this is simply too inconsistent, so I follow what ends up the majority. Knuckles was never the guardian of the Chaos Emeralds, just the Master Emerald, but when Sonic comes in with the emeralds his people had used before gets them. There are 7 emeralds, and a Master Emerald. If we want a bit of that old school flair, the Gray Emerald controls all. Chaos is a mutated Chao, and the Emeralds are actually fuelled by Gaia. They love to scatter around to magically appear when people need them. THE END :D

3. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    Wait, why are we trying to make sense of Sonic again?

4. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    You forgot about 3D blast, but yeah. That's true.

5. Neoblast

Neoblast

Hidden palace is empty until sonic takes the emeralds there and then they turn super emeralds...
    Those emeralds ( the ones sonic got after being stolen by knuckles ) are the same knuckles steal in the beggining of sonic 3, hence the ones in sonic 2, that might have been in angel island in ancient times but after that they scattered all over mobius. So... I think it's one set...
    Knuckles probably put them in special stages after stealing them...

6. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
    How about I add more of a damper to your theories?

Try including Chaos Emerald theories from the Sonic the Hedgehog comic in your theories. I guarantee, your brain will explode. :colbert:

7. You mean the one stating that every dimension has a separate set of Chaos Emeralds?!

PLEASE GOD NO.

It is SIMPLE guys. 1 set of Emeralds warps around to different locations.

WHY? Because every time the emeralds are together, they split apart again.

1st to other dimensions (As seen on the Genesis Games) and later in random places on Earth.

Why is this so hard to comprehend?!

8. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    The Chaos Emeralds are plot devices; their properties are whatever is needed at the time while maintaining DRAMA.

/thread

9. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    ...I got in trouble for coming up with a bloody theory concerning the Chaos Emeralds, yet now we have a theory full of them!? (Albeit not actually meant to be one for theories but for what the Japanese Manual said about another set of Chaos Emeralds)

Here, I'll drag this from another topic:

* Meant a subnote suggesting sabotage from Black Doom, because let's face it, that git's just insane.

If I were to continue, I'd go on to say the Super Emeralds were the Emeralds the Japanese Manual refered to, with a Safety Mechanism activating when Angel Island was forced down into the water which removed the Super Emerald's Energy and hid both the energy and Super Emeralds in the Special Stages. Robotnik says Sonic stole them and shrunk them with his evil magic, which Knuckles believed due to lack of knowledge on the outside world, blahblahblah, when Sonic takes the Chaos Emeralds into the Hidden Palace, they deactivate the Safety Mechanism and return the Emeralds, but fail to return the energy and Sonic is forced to go into the Special Stages and retrieve the energy. As said in the above, Sonic uses the Super Emerald's energy to fight Robotnik in the Robotnik-Proclaimed 'Doomsday Zone', where upon they shatter...Yeah, I know, bad theory but hey, it's better then others out there.
    [/fanwank]

10. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Once I had this heated discussion with some friend of mine about how and why the emeralds warped to special stages or not, when and how and to diffferent places at that. I was trying to convince him that it was just a plot device and their properties changed just like Sonic's anatomy did but the guy was too stubborn and wouldn't budge. So I just screamed maybe they feel like it. The guy didn't get that I was tired of the conversation altogether and proposed the emeralds had a will of their own. Then we got into another heated discussion as to why they'd decide things like this but I really liked the idea that they were conscious of their behaviour. I dunno, magical stones.

11. Søda the Junker

Søda the Junker

WE MAKE THE DREAMS COME TRUE Member
    *5 Project Multi-Tasking*
    I liked the deal they included in Sonic 3 and in Adventure. Being part of the shrine of the master emerald makes much more sense, anything else really just convoluted it.

also, How about those Time Stones and Precious Stones?

12. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Isn't it the Master Emerald that makes it float, rather than the other emeralds? The Island didn't have any major gravity issues until Robotnik made his move in Hidden Palace.

And for the record, I always thought it was what Aquaslash said - one set that just scatters after the end of every game (ie they're usable for a while then they just disappear to their new locations). Would make sense, considering they're essentially Dragon Balls anyway, minus an ability to wish for Bulma's panties =P

13. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Actually, the Island was forced into the ocean when the Death Egg crashed into it. Hence why it's in the ocean at the start, and lets not forget the Emeralds disappeared when Robotnik arrived, therefore there maybe some connection.

14. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    The Precious Stones are just for whats-her-name's world. So, I doubt they reallty matter. Not sure about the Time Stone.

15. Shadix

Shadix

Oldbie
    Actually no. I'm just taking this subject from a feasible developers perspective, and given the data and elements of SAs continuity, no direct proof exists that the developers original intent was to connect that game to the original series besides these wanky manual additions. I would believe this full-heartedly if Sonic Adventure and subsequent games didn't have so many inconsistencies.

Edit: Also, that Chaos Emerald Theory is hilarious.

16. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    OK, so there's a limit as to how much weight it can hold up, but I'm more thinking of the amount of wobble the Floating Island has after he takes the Master Emerald. Take a look in Sky Sanctuary.

17. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

I don't think Sonic Team even cared about consistency within the classics. Six emeralds to seven (and eight), then the Death Egg retcon from S2 to S3, then this whole mix up with the emeralds, amongst others (like Sonic's age for example). Sonic Adventure's inconsistencies to me are equivalent to these ones. I tend to put most Sonic Team's games as one continuity and then add everything else that doesn't contradict them too much.

18. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I'm well aware of the island's tilting, but then if the Master Emerald was the sole power source, then the island would've most likely sunk as soon as the Emerald was taken, even with residual energy, which probably wouldn't have held out as long as it did. All I'm trying saying is perhaps the Chaos Emeralds were a sort of backup system for if the Master Emerald is taken, where they'd hold the Island up as long as possible, until the Guardian managed to retrieve the Master Emerald. This is kinda shown in Sky Sanctuary, when Knuckles either fails and the Master Emerald is lost, in which the island falls, or he succeeds and the island stays aloft.

19. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    Every Sonic The Hedgehog game takes place within a set of parallel dimensions relatively close to one another. Each game features one incarnation of Sonic the Hedgehog in one of those dimensions. No incarnation of Sonic has ever collected/used the Chaos Emeralds more than once. When Sonic is finished with the Chaos Emeralds, they leave his dimension forever, and travel to another dimension with one of his alternate dimension counterparts, ready to be used for the next game. The only exception is Sonic 3 & Knuckles, where the Emeralds finally settle in that dimension's Angel Island for eternity.

Which is basically sci-fi gobbledygook for "Every game is in its own closed world, except for Sonic 2/3/K."

Evidence (AKA reasons why this insane fan theory should be adopted into canon):
    Each adventure is more or less a carbon copy of the last; same hero, same villain, same planet in danger.
    The world never remains truly consistent from game to game, and yet characters never age. In fact, they sometimes age backwards (Charmy).
    SEGA doesn't need to bend over backwards to make future games work with this story; it already works.
    It explains so much about Sonic's universe, except the Chaos Emeralds, which keep their mystique intact.
    A much-needed overhaul of Sonic's character would be instantly justified in-universe.

20. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    A lot of this is answered in Chaos Zero's official profile on Sonic Channel.

It states that the Chaos Emeralds are called such because of the drama they caused what became Angel Island. Also the island floats due to being charged by the energy of the M.E. when Chaos went postal.

As far as the Super Emeralds, I reckon it was a one time deal. Hyper Sonic used up all their energy on the first activation, so they can't become the Super Emeralds again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.