don't click here

Sonic 3 Complete

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tiddles, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Sonic Megamix uses B+C to transform.

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    No, I don't. But nice try anyway. ;)

3. Chaos Knux

Chaos Knux

Stable avatar temporary. Randomizer site down. Banned
    Curses, foiled again!

4. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    I think one or more of you missed the second post in this thread. =P

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I believe he was referring to wanting to switch back and forth between normal, Super, and Hyper Sonic if you had all 14 emeralds, which if I recall has not been done before. However the BC transformation process has been done with Megamix, yes but perhaps BC could be used for Super Sonic and AC could be used for Hyper Sonic or something

6. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Or the fact Tweaker just spilled the beans, of the 14 emeralds in megamix!

7. MastaSys

MastaSys

I was waited like, years, to something like this!

Play the Sonic 3 Final boss in Sonic 3 & Knuckles!
    Thanks for your work!

Just one thing, when I was in Marble Garden with Sonic (only) I couldn't control Tails in the boss, he was always falling down, I don't if the problem was in me or something you changed. But is a boss I fought for years and this never appened.

Also an suggestion (only if you don't mind of course).
    Could you please make the levels like they were in Sonic 3, like the Launch Base, I always found it far more easy in Sonic 3 & Knuckles (maybe because it isn't the final zone there...)
    Please put this into consideration. :)

8. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Testing YOUR Hacks Since 2005... Member
    Emerald Hill Zone
    Looking for a Rom Hack to Test.
    What differences are there between Sonic 3 and S3&K Launch Base Zone other than the Fact if you glitch into Knuckles Boss room with the twin Hammers nothing happens in S3? Am I being Niave?

9. MastaSys

MastaSys

There were more obstacles, like Dr. "Eggman" Robotnik's monitors, more spikes and in those rotative platforms there were more of those ball and 4-spikes Badniks.
    That made overall the zone more harder... not that matters now since my gaming skills now are better to those I had as a child, but still it's nice to have the difficult of the Sonic 3 version since after all this is an "Sonic 3 Complete".

And while I posting it here...
    And I also remember the start of Act 2 of Hydrocity the item placement were different on the part of the smashing wall.

There must be more relevant differences, but I really can't remember more.

10. I'm wondering if a IPS patch or something could be made to disable the music speedup when Super/Hyper Sonic/Knuckles/Tails is on. =P Have you considered creating a 'fixed' version of Sonic 3 since it has a lot of bugs that could potentially be fixed. =P

EDIT: Has anyone notice any slight glitches in Carnival Night Zone Act 2, especially after the lights go out?

EDIT 2: It happens in Launch Base Zone Act 2 also, seems to have something to do with the water in both levels. I'm playing as Super Sonic in both levels if it matters.

11. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    Get in an accident and wake up in 1973
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean regarding these glitches. Could you elaborate at all?

I do know that you'll get a brief pause, and occasionally a palette flash, whenever you scroll the water line into view, on any level, but this is the same in the original S3&K. Lights-out CNZ2 shows this worst of all because the underwater palette is still based on the lights-on version, so certain things that should be dark above water flash bright briefly and look especially weird. I'm not aware of any other problems so far.

A fixed regular Sonic 3? Not as such, but I thought it might be neat to build something that works similarly by making a copy of S3&K with only the old zones in it, using their old layouts, and other relevant twiddles (bring back the old credit sequence, use the old save data etc.). I doubt I'll play with anything like that until I'm done here though.

12. So are the Doomsday fixes for Tails and Knuckles still gonna be in this?

I have always wanted this one aspect to be fixed.

It could be some kind of alternate game mode, like "Knuckles Complete" and "Tails Complete," which would simply let Tails and Knuckles go through all the Zones properly. This means Knuckles would NOT go to his Sky Sanctuary and would go to Sonic's instead.

OR EVEN BETTER you could make it so Knuckles can simply bypass his own teleporter (which when hit will take you to his SSZ) and go to Sonic's instead with the cutscene intact! IN FACT you could have that work for Sonic and Tails too! If they want to fight Super Mecha instead of go right and fight Knuckles...they could hit Knuckles' teleporter again to go there!!

The reason it should be a mode and not just a revised ROM is because maybe some people would like to keep it the original way.

13. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    I just had a few goes at this and I couldn't reproduce what you described - Tails was always controllable via both control pads as usual, regardless of character choice. Does it happen to you every time? If you can find any specific scenario that seems to cause it I'll see if I can dig further.

I'm still undecided on whether to do anything with this - as you say, it was likely done to even out the difficulty, but I do miss some of the Sonic 3 layouts (there's this one lightning shield in Launch Base 1 that got changed to invincibility that always irks me... IMO that actually makes the level harder, provided you can keep the shield past where the invincibility would run out.) It's complicated slightly, because just pointing at the object layouts from Sonic 3 itself is likely to lead to a devastatingly incomplete Knuckles game, since, having explored those areas in Sonic 3, the bosses are pretty much completely missing, plus probably various other set pieces.

I'll probably try to do something about the sprites at least. I'm not likely to make the zones accessible via any other method than the current level select+debug though - it would be a nice extra, but for the most part, in this hack, my business is with tidying up what's already there.

14. MastaSys

MastaSys

I think I found out the problem.
    It was the emulator itself, not the rom, a problem with the "port 2", that gave the control of Tails to the second controller.
    I was playing with Sonic only so I didn't notice this sooner...
    So that what it was, sorry for bothering you...

15. MastaSys

MastaSys

Sorry for the double post, but since the last one is from days ago, I think it's fine.

I noticed that you fixed the backwards "Sonic" on the Tornado.
    You might look to Dr. Robotnik in the load screen, I always thought since Sonic 3 that was something very wrong about him...

[​IMG]
    ( Game version / Correct Version? )

Not that the 2º is fine or something (the glasses for example), but I think that what was intended in the first place instead that "Indian" forehead.

And maybe those "rotation" one-saw Sonic sprites used in some spiral pillars, maybe....

Of course these are just suggestions, as the creator of the modification you're the one that decides here :v:

16. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    No worries, good to know it wasn't something I'd done!

Huh, I never noticed that - I think the last time I actually deleted a save might've been when I still only had a real MD running on RF, I don't see that image too often. It does look weird. I'll add it to the Neverending List of Doom? in any case.

17. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    It's supposed to be a white shine. They probably drew that before Knuckles made it into the menu and they had to adjust the palette for his extra shade of red, and missed that one tidbit since the colors are pretty close.

18. MastaSys

MastaSys

Since my experience of hacking roms is almost zero, I didn't know how the palettes were, and the small nose, that is usually bigger, made me think of that way.
    Still if Tiddles doesn't mind, it's would look better with that "shine" fixed. :)

19. Ooooo May we see this?

20. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    Well, I can't post it, since it's neverending and wouldn't fit. ;)
    But in all seriousness, it's really a collection of incoherent thoughts, some of which I've ruled out already, some of which I will probably never touch anyway... but when I feel like doing something with this, I pick something out of it and have a go.

I don't want to post it all so as not to disappoint when some of it never happens. But as a consolation, I will post some things I've been working on recently:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    These mostly work but I want to do a bit more tweaking before they see the light of day.

Here's the list of stuff that should definitely be in for the next release, unless I find something very wrong:
    • The normal super transformation sound effect is now used in Doomsday.
    • Fixed HUD shadow colour in burnt Angel Island. (Thanks to Hayate)
    • Fixed spring artwork occasionally not being loaded for the Gumball Bonus Stage.
    • Knuckles' intro cutscene now plays in Angel Island rather than S&K Mushroom Hill.
    • Debug only: Hyper Knuckles can now wall smash when turned hyper by a monitor.
    • Debug only: Tails' ring counter now falls in Doomsday
    • Debug only: Characters other than Sonic appear correctly in Doomsday.
    No HUD palette changes in AIZ1 at this point due to the rock colour issue. I've changed it over in AIZ2 because I didn't find anything that used the HUD shadow colour there. And the super transformation sound effect really sounds fine with the Doomsday music tempo fixed at the start, so I'll have that back in by default.