don't click here

Sega Genesis/Megadrive Ultimate Collection coming to iPhone

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Diablohead, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    http://toucharcade.com/2010/01/20/space-ha...icial-emulator/

[​IMG]

If anything it will be the same as the Sonic 1 emulation already on the app store, same emulator with different games.

The app is suppse to be released sometime today for free, and the freebie game it comes with is Space Harrier II, other games as DLC include:

Sonic the Hedgehog: $5.99
    Golden Axe: $4.99
    Ecco the Dolphin: $2.99
    Shining Force: $2.99

Don't tell sega but they priced Shining Force too low for such awesome :ssh:

2. http://kotaku.com/5452810/sega-gensis-emul...h-its-own-store

Hmm... Seems interesting...Kinda nice to buy ONLY the games you want.

Don't have the IPhone though.

3. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    Your url tag is done wrong. But this is interesting; I wonder if Apple lost to the FCC :v:

4. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Interesting. I don't have an iPhone but I know a few people who will probably find this news beneficial.

5. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Just gonna go ahead and say...still no Sonic 2. Still no S3K...Sonic 1 is boring in comparison.

6. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
  7. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
  8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Agreed. I'm just sooo sick of Sonic 1.

9. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    The current Sonic 1 standalone iPhone app is a pretty lousy emulator by the way, low framerate, very unresponsive controls, etc. I hope they intend to improve it...

10. Nova

Nova

Even if I had an iPhone or iPod Touch, I'd still stay far, far away from this. Playing Mega Drive titles on a system with one button? No thank you.

If anyone would care to inform me how the controls for the standalone Sonic The Hedgehog app work, then please enlighten me. It just seems like it would be horribly clunky and unresponsive or lacking in the required precision to accurately emulate a Mega Drive controller.

11. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Are you running the latest updated version? not a solid 60 but was suppose to help framerate a fair bit. Also you running on an old iPhone or 3g, newer?

12. Wonder if they'll release it for the Google Droid?

13. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    It's Sega. Of course they will. If not, someone will code up a Genesis emulator anyway.

14. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member

Well, I'm running it on an iPod Touch, but the OS is the lastest (iPhone OS 3.1.2) so I figured the difference shouldn't be that big. Still, for what I've seen I'd say the device is perfectly capable of running a solid 60 fps emulator.

15. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    There was an update to the actual game though, not the OS, it supposedly improved some things.

16. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    I've tried Sonic 1 on my Touch, and it runs at full speed. Better than genesis4iphone (!), too.

17. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    Is the official Sega port of Sonic 1 any easier to control than genesis4iphone? I've played genesis4iphone, and while the emulation is okay (other than sound), the controls are just terrible. A touch screen just isn't a good way in general to control a game like Sonic.

18. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    Well, it does diagonals, and the buttons are much easier to press, so I'd say yes.

19. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Part of me wants to say leave it to Sega to, once again, try to be a pioneer in the field, this time by taking the emulator and rom system and making the whole thing a pay service—pretty much trying to legitimize the practice in a mass market approach.

The other part of me feels someone's done this before (Nintendo with the Virtual Console, Microsoft with some Xbox Live Arcade titles... and probably those little multi-games that are a joystick that has AV cable hook ups), albeit not in this fashion and not in a portable form with an apparent decently working emulator.

I'd hold no objections if they did something similar to this for the PSP.

20. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    This. The iPhone port of Sonic 1 is one of the smoothest, most responsive 2D games on the iPhone - the control system is damn near perfect and genesis4iphone is sad in comparison.

They obviously put a lot of work into it and it's nice to see a solid 60fps on my iPhone 3G.

And yes, the app really did suck before that update, I got like 30fps before.