don't click here

Top 5 Sonic Games of the Decade

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Machenstein, Dec 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I'll chime in on the "Sonic Battle wasn;t that bad" campaign. I really should get around to finishing it...

2. Tanks

Tanks

I don't even have to think about it. This sums up my thoughts on the decade near perfectly. Though, I must admit Sonic Advance 2 had some good music despite it blowing chunks.

3. phoenixwright7

phoenixwright7

Cry, and my whip will accommodate! Member
    I also don't recall having to much trouble with the camera's in the 3d sonic's either, which seems to be a big complaint shared by many sonic fans. The closest thing I can think of was this one time when I was playing sonic adventure 2 battle and I somersaulted into a crate in shadow's level in a part of the crate got stuck to the camera and remained there till the end of the level. That was more humorous than annoying though XD

Also, on the topic of Sonic Battle, I thought the game was pretty fun. If you liked super smash bros, then you'll probably like sonic battle. There's a couple of annoying parts in the game, but if you don't completely suck, then you should get through them just fine :) And It's story... well... I never really pay attention to a sonic games story, so I can't remember if it was any good or not. Besides, if I want a good story, then I'll play an Ace Attorney game, not a Sonic game.

4. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    The experience with Emerl probably depends on what luck you have with his cards. I remember being stuck with almost, if not nothing in regards to the Pow, Shot, Trap skills for at least up until the final chapter, so much of the fights consisted of running/jumping/flying to avoiding the Ai while hitting them with a weak attack every now and then, making for very long, tedious battles.

5. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    All I've owned this decade have been SA2, Sonic Shuffle, sonic heroes, and Sonic Advance. So my top 5 of this decade would mostly be comprised of hax from here.

6. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    I am not in the mood to type much, so a simple list.

1) Sonic Adventure 2
    2) Sonic Unleashed
    3) Sonic Rush
    4) Sonic Heroes
    5) Sonic Advance

7. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    First, thats shallow as hell. Second, I'm pretty sure that barring possible freaky glitches I don't know about and the more obvious hacking that you can't do that in Sonic Adventure DX either.

I guess I'll try to name my 5. I don't think I can think of too much out of the last decade I've actually cared about and since Sonic Adventure DX is like this butchered port to me I don't even think I'm going to list it.

5. Sonic Advance - Slightly better than the following games. Still crap.
    4. Sonic Rush - I still don't enjoy it very much, but it at least has a little more original content than Sonic Advance
    3. Shadow the Hedgehog - yeah, you heard me. Not that that's saying a whole lot. #3 in this pool is a sad place to be.
    2. Sonic and the Secret Rings - It sucks, but I was still hooked for a while.
    1. Sonic Adventure 2/the port - I actually like this game. A lot.

8. Knux13

Knux13

Member since May 19, 2002 Banned
    1. Sonic Adventure - Fits with the classic games, has a great energy, and made great use of multiple-character-multiple-storyline.
    2. Sonic Advance - A little bland, but enough fun to keep you entertained for a few minutes.
    3. Sonic Heroes - I liked it.
    4. Sonic Adventure 2 - Smoother gameplay than SA, although you're forced to change characters. Chao garden was nice.
    5. Sonic Mega Collection - Suck it.

9. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    Sonic Adventure is last decade chief.

10. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Sonic Adventure 2

Sonic Unleashed

Sonic Advance

Sonic Advance 2

Sonic and the Secret Rings

In that order.

11. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    5. Sonic UnWiished - Still haven't been able to play the HD version yet, but I still like this one. Much better than Heroes, Shadow, or '06 in terms of overall gameplay. Though the cutscenes were unskippable, the Werehog had an overspent welcome, and Mazuri and Empire City aren't fucking playable, it still gets a number 5 spot.

4. Sonic Advance 3 - Much better than number 2 in the sense of platforming and branching paths, and I enjoyed the character pairing system to an extent.

3. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle - Besides the fact that the nostalgia I get from this game is matched only by that of Sonic 2, the Sonic and Shadow levels were good, Metal Sonic playable in 2P mode, and the fucking CHAO ruled my life for years.

2. Sonic Adventure DX - Best physics of the 3D games, Pretty much the only 3D game where Tails is playable in a remotely decent way, same chao system as SA2B,

1. Sonic Advance - The first Sonic game that I played made in this decade. It was great overall, multiple characters retaining their movesets from both Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Sonic Adventure. not as much unnecessary bullshit as its successors, underwater levels, Tiny Chao Garden that doesn't need to be unlocked, Tails following Sonic cheat, etc.

Sonic Riders and Sonic Battle were okay too, so they get honorable mentions both for the extremely addicting gameplay.

12. Mama Luigi

Mama Luigi

Can't complain. Member
    u mama
    Mystery something game
    1. Sonic Adventure 2
    2. Sonic Adventure
    3. Sonic Advance
    4. Sonic Rush
    5. Sonic Mega Collection

13. NioZero

NioZero

Concepción, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    my top 5 will be...

1. Sonic Rush
    2. Sonic Unleashed
    3. Sonic Mega Collection Plus
    4. Sonic Advance 3
    5. Sonic Rush Adventure tie with Sonic Advance 2

14. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    Seconded.

Also I guess now would be a good time to ask if Sonic Rivals (1 or 2) is worth my seven quid?

15. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Oh, can we do multi-game collections?

1) Sonic Mega Collection
    2) Sonic Mega Collection Plus
    3) Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection
    4) Sonic Rush Adventure
    5) Sonic Gems Collection

16. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    I'm deadly serious when I say that my top 5 Sonic games of the past 10 years consist entirely of fangames and hacks.

I can't list them though because nobody can ever fucking finish anything!

Seriously though guys, thanks! If it wasn't for you I wouldn't still be a Sonic fan today and I wouldn't be here. :thumbsup:

Now get back to work!

17. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    1) Sonic Rush
    I enjoyed this game a lot, but I was also 15 and do not know how it stands to this day.

2) Sonic Advance
    Time attacked the shit out of this one, enjoyed it but was also young as well.

3) Sonic Shuffle
    It's a good party game and my sister and I still play it occasionally. It could have used more boards and a few more minigames, but overall it's pretty fun and had some charm.

4) Sonic and the Secret Rings
    At first I liked it. Then midway I suddenly didn't. Then the last third of the game I liked it again. The game has its ups and downs, but it's a decent game worthy of a 7 or 8 rating.

5) Sonic and the Black Knight
    It's short. It's weird. But it's also completely unique and isn't that bad. People immediately dismiss it because it's on rails and of course Sonic has a sword, but it's a nice rental/pirate. The music is great, and you feel a sense of badass-itutde when you pull off some sick moves. I did stream myself playing it from start to finish for #retro when it came out, so the fun combined from that may alter my opinion a little bit. I still think it's an alright game that is also visually well looking on the Wii.

Special Number Worst) Sonic Unleashed
    I didn't play the HD version, I hear it's not as good/about the same anyways. Either way, the Werehog began to wear (Haha) on me fast and the daytime levels didn't give me the type of platforming I expected of a Sonic game, or even a good game. Far too much automotion stuff, as well as too much rooftop/bland scenery. I liked it when Sonic games levels were extremely varied, and mostly in the wild (GREEN PLEASE). Fighting while running got tiring quick and rather exploitable, and the story was pretty bland. I wasn't even able to finish the game because it was so awful. It was an attempt to return to form, or at least reinvent Sonic, but it just didn't make the cut at all. If you're dying for some platforming games, then you may be able to stomach it, but not I.

I didn't play 2006, so I can't put it on my "Worst".

18. corneliab

corneliab

So you're listening to retards, I reckon?

19. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Just wanted to say the same, the HD version is pretty much an entirely different game.

20. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I completely regret buying the Wii version. I did so based on two factors: I was 10 bucks too short from getting the 360 version, and I listened to the goddamn reviews. Never. Again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.