don't click here

Sega 32X/CD/Genesis

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Agobue, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Agobue

Agobue

I wonder, would it be possible to construct a fully fledging Sega 32/CD/Genesis all in one system? And create some kind of BIOS screen that'd allow you to select which system you'd like to boot upon power-up?

2. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    32X does work with a Sega CDX, so with (a lot of) case modifications you could do this. In fact, I plan to do just this, plus with an inbuilt screen, controller, and battery. :v:

3. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    That'd be the easiest option.

custom case the SOB, and bolt those mofo's together!

4. Eviltaco64

Eviltaco64

Hopelessly Lost in Aisle 5 Member
    Well, this fantastic article explains how you can make a DIY Neptune. If you were to get a CDX as Andlabs mentioned above (and probably a custom case), then it could be pulled off.

I'm not too sure about that BIOS hacking part, though.

5. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    There's no need to do this, since MD games will run in a 32X (the extra hardware is simply ignored), and the SegaCD won't turn on if a ROM cartridge is inserted. (With an exception for that weird MD cartridge that could utilize a SegaCD after startup. I forget what it's called.)

6. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    The cart in question is Flux, a music visualiser.

7. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    Actually three: the official backup RAM cart, the one Nik mentioned, and the fanmade MegaCart.

You will not be able to play 32X games made for a TV signal that isn't your own (that is, NTSC 32X games on a PAL 32X). Same concept for the Sega CD. For those you WILL need BIOS modifications. I know there is <a href="http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-index.php?page=SegaCD+Multibios" target="_blank">a guide for the Sega CD part</a>.

8. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Tech Member
    Doom 32X
    I'd put the CDX/32X in a Saturn case. Plenty of room for it all there, with just about the perfect placement of the CD, a cart slot, and the controller ports.

9. Agobue

Agobue

Assuming though it'd be possible to make an entirely new smaller PCB combining all three circuit boards into one compact board?

10. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Actually four, you forgot the Pier Solar cartridge can use the Sega CD to get the CD OST =P (not counting all the Sega 32xCD games).

11. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Technically Pier Solar doesn't exist yet ;P

12. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Tech Member
    Doom 32X
    They did release a demo. I consider that enough to say it does technically exist. :)

13. Agobue

Agobue

After doing some research, we would have to either find schematics for all those systems and make a PCB based off the old hardware then remove all the chips and solder them on the new board. Or you have to find out how each chip works and replicate it using a processor which frankly even the NES isn't even replicated correctly now. You would need a team of engineers to do this in any kind of manner.

14. Agobue

Agobue

15. Agobue

Agobue

But I have no idea where I could possibly find schematic diagrams for the 32x and Sega CD, any ideas?

16. shana

shana

balls Member
    Financial Hell
    Recording Sonic Music on live guitar/bass.
    99% of those chips can actually be bought separately.