don't click here

Running Mac OSX on a PC

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by LordOfSquad, Dec 7, 2009.

1. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    So I uninstalled Ubuntu and am torrenting Snow Leopard as we speak. I have my reasons for this. I wouldn't be uninstalling Ubuntu if I had the hard drive space. =P

Now, dual-booting it with Windows should be as simple as making a hard drive partition and letting 'er rip, right? Or am I going to have to jump through some hurdles first? I can't seem to find any updated guides, so a helping hand would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! =)

2. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    Install OS X, then Windows. This allows NTDLR to install in your hard drive's MBR.

Then, download CHAIN0 and add it to c:\boot.ini to launch mac OS X from the windows bootloader. This method is super simple and has worked for me.

3. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    So I need to start from scratch then?

4. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    It would be far, far easier - I mean, if you're not backing up your windows shit anyways, and you fuck this process up and end up having to reinstall windows anyways, then...well, just make a fucking backup :P

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Without meaning to be too blunt, why are you moving from a *nix OS that likely has good support for your hardware to a *nix OS that doesn't?

6. Yuzu

Yuzu

This.

You want to look up your computer's hardware before installing Mac OSX on it, the only drivers for my graphics card(9600 GT) were for the Macbook version, which wouldn't work on desktops, I couldn't get hacked versions working without locking up. :/

7. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Nonsense. OS X86 hardware support is getting very good now. Most of the drivers are linux ports anyway.

I recommend iPC personally. As for dual booting, I used EasyBCD.

8. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

W)(at did you say? Banned
    I remember trying this once. BIGGEST WASTE OF TIME AND DVD-RS EVER! Just stick with Ubuntu, it can fulfil just about any need you may have. gobjc + OpenSTEP = A pretty good Cocoa environment. &c.

9. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    Mac has GarageBand, Ubuntu does not. :rolleyes:

Also, our computers at school are all Macs. Makes life easier if I don't have to worry about compatibility issues.

Trust me, it's not an issue of dislike against Linux, it's just a matter of which is going to be more useful to me. I plan on installing all 3 operating systems on my next PC.

So, anyway, it's looking like I'm going to just back-up everything to my external and make a fresh start on Mac OSX, then install Windows 7 on Boot Camp. Can't hurt to do that, especially considering that I'm still running on the beta version of Windows 7.

When? Soon, hopefully. Gotta pick up some dual-layer DVDs.

10. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

Plenty of good alternatives to Garageband. Office, media, and graphics formats can easily be exported with any linux app. Use OSx86 if you must, but just keep in mind that Ubuntu can suffice.

11. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    On the flipside, the similarity of all netbooks has made them an ideal target for hackintosh projects. IIRC, the MSI Wind actually got a semi-offical OSX86 port leaked from someone high up at MSI. The big problem now has to do with the wifi hardware in such netbooks, as they're rarely supported. But it's a simple task to replace them and you'll wind up with a fully functional OSX netbook.

I preferred to stick to Ubuntu, though. Netbook remix is pretty close to perfect for my Aspire One, so long as you remove that stupid-ass front-end.

12. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    Oh, for funsies, I'll point out that if you are downloading the retail Snow Leopard image (the dual layer one) you should stop right now. This is not how one installs Mac OS X.

13. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    Then how does one? >_>

14. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    You need a hackintosh ISO. Check out the OSX86 project.

15. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    Darn, alright. Thanks.

16. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    That's not entirely true, a bootloader (including needed patches and kexts for your system) + retail disc is the preferred method these days. It makes updating with system update less of a worry than it was before. If you've got a netbook, you can also use the netbook bootmaker utility to patch a retail iso for a virtually hassle free install.

17. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

I just deleted my image of the retail version and downloaded OSx86 10.5.6. No joke.

...Should I download the retail image again? =/

18. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

Try whatever you have now. If it doesn't work, try that other method.

19. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    Well, shit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I asked for help here, so maybe they'll be able to help. But if not, can anyone help me with what Taxman was talking about?

20. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    As I don't want to overly say "Told you so" right now, I'll concentrate on the issue...

Well, the first visible error was the "ATA Disk: Checksum cookie not valid" and it continued spiraling on from there. This error has a decent amount of hits on Google with little help, but I did find this page talking about Leopard and it seemed to hint there's a potential issue there with SATA drives. What are yours, SATA or PATA?