don't click here

Sonic Boom

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by iojnekns, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    It's sad that I have to quote myself. But it's worth taking heed. :eng101:

2. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    Because I hate hype in general.

3. Malevolence

Malevolence

Tech Member
    And therefore to hate something which has no effect to this game at all will seemingly influence your overview of it.

4. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

Gotchya. I know you guys wanted to go for extra difficult, but I really did want to make sure you didn't go off the deep end.

5. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

Earth
    Nope because the things I didnt like about this hack are things that no hype could affect, and keep in mind there isn't a lot I really hate, I believe most of the things I hate will be fixed eventually or at least Gorbichev, because from what I read he was incomplete.

6. Malevolence

Malevolence

Tech Member
    I understand this but you seem to come in here stating a feeling of anger due to hype and not the game. If I were to quote you from a previous statement you did say "First of, yes the first line was a bit sarcastic but this was the fastest way I could sum up my reaction to this game, for me I didn't believe the hype but still was irritated by the hype it had"

7. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

Earth
    Oh no but im not angry about the game, juts pointed out a few things and like and didn't liked.

8. Malevolence

Malevolence

Tech Member
    Then was there a real reason for being sarcastic now that we rule out hype affected game play or anything to do with the game?

9. randomselect

randomselect

?!?! Member
    Nothing recently
    :words:

Okay really, the constant empty debating and the quote after quote doesn't really go anywhere.

I don't understand why some people refuse to drop it.

It's just a matter of whether you like it or not in my eyes.

10. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

Earth
    Is more a less to continue from what I left off last time I talk about the hack, nothing more.

11. HighFrictionZone

HighFrictionZone

Hi. Member
    Katy, Texas
    Nothing
    In an effort to move away from the hype-discussion quote pyramid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XweQ7NXOzwU

I'm at it again! More tool assisted running, but this time I'm taking mostly different routes with less re-covering of my own steps, resulting in a VAST improvement over my old act 1 time and a pretty good improvement over my act 2 time. I only managed to improve my act 3 time by two seconds, but I also illustrate why going off screen in act 3 is more bad than it is elsewhere: the fire shoots out to fill the screen, meaning you're in the hot seat as soon as the camera catches up to you. But hey, two second improvement, and it looks waaaaay more awesome now!

Also, for some reason the video cut off before the act 3 tally. If anybody wants the gmv file I recorded, just kinda PM me.

I'm really liking this game for TASing. Just as I'm learning how to be better at the game, I'm also learning how to be better at TASing.
    I think my next video will be a non-assisted speed run, just to illustrate that this is emulator trickery and that I'm not secretly a robot ninja.

Edit: and could somebody tell me the method I should encode my videos so that youtube can have high-quality versions and also so that youtube mangles them the least?

12. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I hate the discussion over this hack, mainly because I experienced this with ProSonic, so I know exactly how this feels. I know most people here (from what I've read so far) have been pretty respectful, but then I read this among a few other things:

That was not a smart thing to say, with all due respect. How did you honestly think the team would take that? The rest of the message after that seemed to indicate that you had good intentions, but that line itself ruined everything you wrote because that line is an extremely negative thing to say. If this was my hack, that line alone, regardless what else you wrote, would piss me off. And the discussion on hype is silly -- that's created mostly by people who support the hack, not the team itself. Just try to think before you speak and consider other people's feelings when giving out criticism, okay? I know you're better than that.

If the hack is flawed, that's fine. I thought it was flawed and got very frustrated when playing it! I was amazed by it, but it was just too hard. The first level felt like level 4 or 5, and the act 1 and 2 bosses both felt like final bosses or close to that! I would also recommend choosing some better voices for the Sonic Boom theme as they just didn't seem to fit well in my opinion. The other songs sounded amazing though (especially the DN3D song! WOW!) Again though, I'm willing to accept it's flaws. There's room for it to improve, and I believe the team is more than capable of doing it and will.

Great job on this. Again, WAY too hard in my opinion for being the very first level, but I'm willing to accept that since it's not done. The stuff in this hack hasn't been done in any other hack I've seen to date. I'm truly impressed for what you have achieved thus far. If this was my hack, I'd be extremely proud of it. Keep it up!

13. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    Huh guys, it's okay to debate but could we avoid those fucking pyramid quotes please?

14. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    Fair enough people have mixed reviews of things, but when you should stop you should stop. For anyone saying "this the best hack", well again its a matter of opinion. I like the unique, and technical side to this game which was very well done. Sure people complain about a few things but nothings perfect. As I see this, this hack has some major potential, and I defiently want to see this go further. Congratulations so far, and good luck with the rest of the project :)

15. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

Earth
    Removed the controversial line, after reading the review again it seems a bit too harsh for the tone I wanted to give, it might give the impression that I hated the hack.

16. Ice Sonic

Ice Sonic

Ice Cap
    No, I am not working on any hack, fanart, or website.
    What's wrong with a boss having an instant death attack? Blame your slow reaction.
    Seriously. Gorbichev is badass and no one should change that. Also how the fuck is the double jump useless? The other moves enhance the gameplay experience (the team did a very good job on that). The levels are so fast but there are still lots of paths and hidden rooms to explore. Speed + Exploration = win.

Here's mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeRpnSN3iW4

I've never had so much fun since S2RR. The music is fantastic. All those Megaman X ports sound amazing. The sprites are excellent. A bit too dark than we are used to but still very good. I freakin' love the spindash sprite.
    I could go on and do a full review on this but I'll spare the details. The hack is good.

17. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    4:26, pure win dude. Pure win.

18. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

Yes, it always HAS to be the player's fault Ice. :tinfoil: That has to be one of the lamest justifications ever.

Remember NHY, this is a prototype, things will change (hopefully).

Ice, there is a reason most Sonic games don't have this, and this boss characteristic will (hopefully) be changed... it's called nobody wants to kill the replay value of their hack or game with completely broken characters/bosses. That's what insta-kill in this fashion (and there is a difference between bosses with a insta-kill move and this boss' current form) is - broken. Simple as that.

As I got yelled at for not realizing before, this is just a proto, things are gonna change between this and the next release for sure.

19. JDAdams

JDAdams

Gorbichev just does what the Globe Holder in Ecco - The Tides of Time does! Go play that - in its second phase the damn thing chases you round the (very small) room, intentiaonally trying to squash you against the walls. I actually find it more annoying there and that's a finished game. Curious also in that Gorbichev's helix move strongly resembles the Asterite from the same game(s). It's pretty rare to see Ecco influences in Sonic, that's for sure.

20. There's a difference between an instant death attack and, say, having the boss teleport on top of you. (Trigger the thing Gorbichev does every 5 hits with an attack from below)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.