don't click here

Sonic Blitz

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by RGamer2009, Apr 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Well, look what I found.

I think this is a much better mod for BlitzSonic than the previously shown. Full ball jumping, you can go into a roll whilst moving (and to my dismay though he added a boost-roll), and you can Spindash. And although it contains the Jumpdash and the Bound Attack, I'm letting those slide because those moves could be used when you obtain Elemental Shields.

2. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Still no screeching or proper turning so he's still basically a hovercraft.

3. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Like I said though, it's a huge improvement from what it started with.

But you're right. It will take quite a bit of work to get BlitzSonic to feel like it can maneuver properly.

4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    The animation there especially is awful - I'm singling out the feet/running for special attention. Engine at large looks nice, though.

5. tonic41

tonic41

Sonic game code name? sonic classic
    and it also needs ring lost. once it has that I can die happy.

6. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    There were, of course, 2.5D games before Pandemonium, but the game which created the name "2.5D" was Yoshi's Story. The name was taken from an interview with Miyamoto from an old issue of EGM where he described the look of the game.

7. Phos

Phos

I've heard that 2.5D used to be used to describe games like Doom that used essentially 2D data to make pseudo 3D games.

And as I've said before, Sonic could function well in 3D if they hadn't tried to reinvent the wheel for the sake of doing it and in doing so ended up with some kind of memorization style game.

8. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Oh indeed. I fully agree with you, for example, that Unleashed's 2.5D segments have almost nothing in common with the Genesis brethren other than the fact that they are in a 2D plane of motion.

9. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Exactly, its basically just a generic platformer with homing attacks, rails, and speed boosts....

10. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    I think a better way of describing it would be that it's 3D Sonic in 2D. In that sense, I wouldn't call it "generic" but I wouldn't compare it to Genesis Sonic either.

11. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    The problem with these people editing Blitzsonic like this is that they're trying to take an engine that was originally built for making retro-styled gameplay, and are trying to make it into Sonic Unleashed, which takes the whole point out of why the engine was made to begin with.

It's overall confusing why they go and do this..

12. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Hate to double-post, but HECK YEAH:

click for awesome

I should've known Bagjac was a big enough genius to do it. Thanks to him, there is now a version of Blitzsonic in the works with dynamic camera angles, a tightened movement system (that means no more hovercraft!!), full Spindash AND a roll. =D You gotta love Bagjac.

Also to note, yeah, the camera and animations do look sorta jerky, but remember, this is Youtube, so I'm near sure that it doesn't really look like that when really running it.

13. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    That video was pretty horrible.

14. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    I like how it takes Sonic forever to get up to speed but only a split second to come to a complete stop. That's totally how a Sonic game should work!

15. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Amusingly enough though I'd also call most 3D Sonic to be in 2D as well. :P

Video is interesting. There's something about the level design that seems off to me (perhaps just that there are just still too few slopes for my taste; everything is really blocky), and the deceleration is maybe too fast for me too -- but that's still better than the opposite.

16. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    That level is supplied with various later builds of the engine. It's not Bagjac's fault or anything. I, for instance, got a copy of it when I got a build with various Mario stages (the ones in BlazeHedgehog's video). Only difference is that he put in the GHZ sky instead of the standard skybox one that's usually used.

17. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Hey, the decel is a lot better than tolerating Sonic decelerating like he's running on ice. At least it let's us know those things COULD be edited. Definitely an improvement if you ask me.

18. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    And are most 3D Sonic's today not just platformers with boosts, rails, and homing attacks? Outside of a few special attacks there's really nothing setting it apart from others, though the drifting in the 3D segments did provide something somewhat unique to any platformer I've ever seen. The Genesis titles had rolling AND momentum. Sonic Adventure still had some momentum though.

Yeah trying to turn a classic Sonic engine into Unleashed completely defeats the purpose.

19. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    I'd hardly call today's 3D Sonics "platformers" at all.

20. Phos

Phos

Neither does Sega. On XBL, they're listed under "Action", even though there's a category for platformers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.