don't click here

Knuckles' design

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mr. Fox, Oct 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

I always wondered what were their inspirations for the design of Knuckles. Why does he have the rastaman bits (dreadlocks and the shoe color)? And what's up with the 'Nike symbol' on his chest? Did the developers ever explain the whole deal behind his look?

This comic sums it up pretty nicely:
    [​IMG]

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Not quite sure what he is, but it all wraps up into an awesome looking character. That's why I like him :D

3. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    I've heard that one of the strategy guides for Sonic 3 gave him a Jamaican accent.

4. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    I've laughed about this before, too, only it goes one further for me. Because of his name, and the way he says "mugs" and other slang in the Archie comic, I always thought of him as sounding like an Italian gangster with a Scott Baio voice.

But Knuckles has more than that to worry about.

5. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I honestly had always believed it to be a reference to the Asiatic Black Bear of all things, as probably a throwback to Girl's Garden or something similar. Of course I don't have an official statement on the matter so I'm probably stretching things

And yes, if true, that makes his nationality all the more confusing.

6. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    Knuckles doesn't actually have dreads, they're just quills. Why that guide gave him a Jamaican accent I'm guessing is because they too thought those looked like dreads and his shoes' colors. I mean, if we follow that logic, then I guess Sonic would be a Japanese guy with some sort of weird mohawk and Tail would be a Polish kid who's bald safe for a tuft of hair on his forehead. It's a style, nothing more.

If anything though, I'd say that Knuckles would be some sort of Mayan-esque descendant. The actual origins of characters' species don't seem to matter in the series, instead simply being an excuse for characters' appearances.

EDIT:
    HOLY SHIT WTF
    ...Also, female echidnas are apparently sluts that fuck 11 males in a row. Tikal may not be all that princess-like after all!

7. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Quills are basically dreadlocks, only they're held together with keratin instead of oil/sweat. I suspect Sonic goes one step further and has multiple quills in bunches to come up his six, or that's just how Oshima decided to draw them. Hedgehogs have much smaller individual quills than Echidnas.

8. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    So you're saying that there is no official statement anywhere that refer to his quills as dreadlocks? I feel that there is, but all that comes to mind is quotes from the Archie comics.

9. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    Not as far as I can recall, no. I could be wrong, of course, but from what I remember every source that calls them dreadlocks is referring directly or indirectly to the guide, so the comics may call them that because of the guide and then some other media would refer to them as dreadlocks too because of the comics and so on. I don't think any official material (IE, games, documents or interviews) refer to them as such.

It's hard to say without getting in Oshima's head, but here's what I can think of: The original style probably intended for Sonic to only have 8 large quills as it was fitting with the part anime part cartoon style where details are generally not shown and main features are amplified. Nowadays however fur texture can be seen on Sonic's entire body including his quills, depending on the game, and since real life quills are essentially thick hairs which make up the fur, well you shouldn't technically have multiple bits of fur appearing on a single quill unless it's made out of a bunch of smaller quills.

Of course though, in the end, it's all irrelevant because it's simply a style.

10. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    I would say that you're thinking it the opposite way. I always saw that he WAS intended to be Jamaican- all sources we have from that time say so, from his "Jamaican accent~" to his Reggae-esque appearence in Sonic Underground. His colors are those of Jamaica. It's mnot "he looks Jamaican let's make him Jamaican", it's "we designed him with Jamaica on mind."

After Sonic Adventure, this became obvious. Back then, he was simply the descendant of a race that had all stereotypes of ancient cultures, from pyramids to sphynxes.

That's hot, Tikal.

Also, wasn't it already established that Knuckles' design started as a publicity stunt with Nike, hence the Nike-er shoes and the logo, but then SEGA said No Fuck You?

11. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    But my point here is that said "sources" aren't official, though. Sonic Underground? Clearly not. Other than that questionable guide, what would be the other "sources"? Comics? Those aren't official either.

12. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    Even if there isn't a direct quote he has Rastafarian colors, whether it was an assumption or not they did consider giving him a Jamaican accent at some point, he lives on a (floating) island, he has a so-called black voice, iirc SA2 gave him a darker muzzle compared to the other characters. and I could even compare his abrasive nature to the Jamaicans I've met in real life.

That is a lot of Jamaican references so I feel it is safe to assume the quills are inspired by dreadlocks.

13. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    I always felt Knuckles was inspired out of Jamaican themes, hence the shoes and dreadlock like hair.

14. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I remember reading all about Knuckles' design years ago, but I can't remember where I read about it (sorry guys ^^; ).

*edit* I think I recall it might've been in one of those Sonic the Comic specials, I'm not sure...

I find it amusing though that Knuckles was originally supposed to be green of all colours! I found that in the Trivia section of this Sonic wiki article.

*edit 2* Found out a little more here:

15. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    So the mark on his chest wasn't from a sun bear?
    [​IMG]

16. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sls-ojfT65c

Actually not the glitch I was looking for (I was trying to find the overwater one), but that one is even worse o_O

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    The small bears in Sonic 2 do have that mark, though.

18. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Reminds me of a shitty fancharacter I made back in the day.

19. ShadowDog

ShadowDog

I always thought he was Australian...

20. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    There's loads of islands in the world, with all sorts of cultures associated with them.
    Black voice...? He has a rap-filled theme song, but his voice seems pretty normal to me. He never actually went around saying obnoxious crap like "Yo diggity-diggity dawg biatchez". Thank god. If anything, he has a mellow voice.
    True, but he had peach/skin colored one in SA1 and they then went on to give him a yellower muzzle in later games.
    That's a generalization and, actually, kinda racist.

I have long hair that tends to curve a little, maybe Knuckles' quills were based on that? I'm just saying, he has long "hair" that happens to be made out of spikes. The only real hint I can see would be his shoes, but they're also gray and lack the green part when you're not playing as him in S3K.

Also, comparison shots.
    Knuckles:
    [​IMG]

Jamaican:
    [​IMG]

...Alright, I'll admit that Tom's shirt isn't on my side. =P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.