don't click here

Sonic Blitz

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by RGamer2009, Apr 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Count me in too. I could at least do boss arenas. (since it will be hard to lock the screen in 3D)

2. corneliab

corneliab

I tried to read them, but I noticed that you lumped Sonic Advance 3 in the "hold right to win" category.

So then I stopped reading.

3. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Alright, you two! Group huddle. Read what I put on the site in my sig, and let's get to work. =P

4. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    I seem to recall Damizean saying that the current version of the engine had some kind of physics bug that meant it had to be rewritten.

I've been looking for a 3D Sonic fan game to lend a hand to.

5. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    You do 3D stuff? I mean, I'm obviously not making any fangames now, but it'd be cool to see some of your work.

6. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Big island of bigness is impractical. I recommend something similar to Metroid Prime, where new maps are seamlessly loaded as you progress- doors wouldn't work, but gimmicks like S-tubes would. Elevators are obvious for, say, GHZ to Lava Reef-esque areas. The elevator would make sense and act as an unobtrusive loading screen.

7. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    I'll distribute the New Sonic model I just finished rigging. in Blender.
    Also, the Camera needs work: it need to switch between vomit and normal mode on loops and corkscrews.

And lose the Boost technique, it gets old FAST!

8. Phos

Phos

I don't have much to show right now, I spent month of and on working on this model of Sonic, trying to get it looking right. Then I realized that I was trying to shape his head the wrong way, it was rather hilariously shaped kind of like the head of those mascot costumes. Then I weant back to college and didn't get the urge to start working again on it until recently, though I plan on working on some more stuff soon.

Indeed, open worlds are probably one of the hardest things to get working, they usually require some form of intelligent data streaming to get them to work. I still remain unconvinced that having an open world would actually provide that much of a benefit for Sonic.

9. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Which is why we take the Metroid Prime model and fake it with doors/elevators/etc. so we can just work with a system like this psuedocode:

Code (Text):
    1. is player at loadpoint
    2. if true:
    3. loadpoint.info.get
    4. unload MapA
    5. move MapB to MapA
    6. load MapB [loadpoint.info.goto]
    7. door.open
    Essentially, just shuffle a couple of maps around in memory to make it APPEAR to be open. Have certain properties, including the map to be loaded, set for each door/elevator/S-tunnel/airplane/whatever, and work from there.

10. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    I think it would be awesome to do a Hydrocity to Marble Garden transition in 3D, where the camera pans underneath Sonic as he's getting shot up by the stream, then as he exits, the camera pans up and locks into top-down perspective, where you can see the edge of the Hydrocity ruins and the sprawl of Marble Gardens adjacent from a bird's eye view... before plummeting back down.

11. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    I think this Engine shows pretty well why them loops on recent games are automated scripts- if not, it's the most vomit-inducing camera confusion you've seen.

12. Andeh

Andeh

Derp herp. Oldbie
    True, but at the very least, they could just lock the camera without the loop itself being scripted.

13. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    I may need freshening up, but I remember quite clearly this being what happens in Sonic Heroes- the camera is fixed, and like in the old games, you press right to go through the loop. Or you can not press anything and fly out of it.

14. OR they could simply take the Sonic Unleashed route and make loops only happen in a 2D perspective, which I think is the best way to do camera angles on loops.

15. Andeh

Andeh

Derp herp. Oldbie
    AKA, lock the camera.

16. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Man, when people were saying the engine was faster I though y'all meant it ran more efficiently, not that Sonic's top speed was increased.

17. Damizean

Damizean

As classic as rock Member
    Valencia, EspaƱa
    Various projects
    Something like this?. Sorry for the half assed test playground.

18. Namagem

Namagem

USA
    Hah, that's pretty awesome; If you could switch to and from that on the fly, for loops and stuff, it would totally work.

19. Phos

Phos

Loops would work fine with a regular camera if it's set up right. There's basically never any enemies nearby. The loops in that video are so broken because he had the vomit camera off.

Edit: Digging the new running animation.

20. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Damizean, that camera is awesome. Can you make it where in certain areas Sonic comes in contact with an invisible object that can trigger that to 2D movement / camera lock?

And I'm thinking about making a topic about this project? I should I go ahead and do that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.