don't click here

THE SonED2 thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Stealth, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    where was it?

2. LimitedMoon

LimitedMoon

Troy NY
    Luigi: Console Confusion
    Question about SonED2 title screen editing: I've followed the various guides to create a title screen project file, and have got it up and working... but the only thing I can edit is the background. Is it possible to edit the actual title using this program? If I can't, a quick tip or link to an explanation would be appreciated :)

3. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    I don't think so, you'd be better using PlaneEd for that kind of thing.

4. LimitedMoon

LimitedMoon

Troy NY
    Could you give me a link for that? I don't see "PlaneEd" on the program list. Thanks.

5. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=15039
    Have fun. I should make a wiki page for this ffffffff.

6. LimitedMoon

LimitedMoon

Troy NY
    Thanks for the advice, but its usage is so confusing. I'm not savvy enough to figure out the program, so I'll just find some other tile editor unless someone wants to teach me how to use the thing for editing Sonic 1's title screen.

7. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Not sure whether this should go here or in the questions thread but since it's partly to do with SonED2 I'll put it here. I've done a small bit of layout editing in EHZ1, and now when the level loads it has to scroll up to where Sonic is. And when loading after hitting a checkpoint and dying, it scrolls from the beginning all the way to where Sonic is. Not sure how this happened, but how can I fix it?

8. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    This happens when you put more than 255 rings in your layout, because they overflow to the adjacent RAM location (which is the camera position). Remove some rings.

edit: to clarify, I mean actual rings. Ring monitors don't apply for this total.

9. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    It says there's only 122 rings in there though.
    Nevermind, removed some anyway and it's fine now. It was probably because I didn't remove any of the rings from the parts I hadn't edited. Thanks

10. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

drawing
    Is there a keyboard shortcut to clear all of the objects out of an act? Or will I have to double right click 19238476219384234524350987 times? =P

11. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    SonED2 creates nonexistent files automatically- just delete the object layout.

12. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

drawing
    awesome, thanks!
    Although now I've got a problem where Sonic and the time counter freezes when I pass what seems like a vertical boundary, since it freezes no matter how high or low the player is, but how far horizontally he is. The music continues playing, though.
    What have I done?

13. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    If you're hacking Sonic 2 or Sonic 3 it's not surprising if the music keeps on playing. The game code runs on the 68k, while the sound driver entirely runs on the Z80, and it's independent from the main code. So if you're doing something wrong on the 68k side, the music has no reason to stop. And vice versa.

As for why this is happening, I absolutely have no idea at all, just letting you know that it's not a so weird scenario.

14. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    More than likely an invaild object in the layout

15. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Taking a Sand Shower Tech Member
    Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    I don't know if this is a known issue or not, but I'm experiencing a bug while working with SonED2 (v1.03).

Whenever I work with Sonic 2 and use more than $400 tiles for graphics, it works fine until I save, close the project, and reopen it. By doing this, every single tile past $3FF is gone from the tile selector. Mappings seems affected as well: a block displays a tile ID of $024 instead of $424 for example.

Can you reproduce this and, is there any way to fix this?

EDIT: One more info if this can help some way, blocks still save fine. Even if their tiles are displayed as $024 in SonED2, the saved file contains blocks with their tiles at $424.

16. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    $400 tiles is exactly half of VRAM, is it not? I suppose it was a safety measure so that your tiles don't get overwritten by other stuff beyond that. Come to think of it, isn't it at address 8000 when the tilemap for 2P starts? That would explain it then.

17. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Taking a Sand Shower Tech Member
    Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    Some sprites have their graphics located at $8000 too, like the water surface. AFAIK, no zone has so many tiles for their graphics to fill half the VRAM. But I'm building some huge dynamic patterns here, which require specific mappings just like other level blocks (that's why I use SonED2). I need this VRAM space to be used for them. The HTZ cliffs and clouds use a VRAM space starting at $A000 to $A200 for comparison.

18. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

drawing
    ok this is clearly a fuckup on my part, but I tried to import a 128x128 .pcx image of the death egg into a sonic 1 level, by using file->import->8x8, then file->import->16x16, now the art hasn't shown up in the tile editor window, but what has happened is that every tile has been changed to "not solid", so when the act starts, sonic just plummets to his death.
    halp :psyduck:

19. Tidbit

Tidbit

I'm working on zoomtubes, but when sonic begins to go up the vertical path after going up a small slope, he doesn't go all the way up it. I guess what im asking is, is there a way to increase the zoomtube speed?

20. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

drawing
    Scratch that, they still are tagged "top solid" and "all solid", but sonic still falls straight through them.