don't click here

Amy's Appearance

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HighCaliburFun, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Pretty much this, yeah.

Don't take me wrong though. I like Shadow, but he hasn't a place within the cast as he0s right now. He was supposed to be filler to begin with, so.

2. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Fang - the thief
    Eggrobo - the villian's clone

:P

But yeah, it's like every character back then was made exclusively with a purpose. The new-school characters often are either made to fill up a storyline or fill a role that was already filled by another character before.

3. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Sonic 06 and the Rivals games would like a word with you.

4. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    If we're going to go there... Mighty, Ray, Espio, Vector, charmy, heavy, bomb. =P I think there's even a few more I'm forgetting.

5. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Save for Ray, Heavy and Bomb, those characters were hardly "filler" in the conventional sense. They weren't shoehorned into the franchise with the intention of tapping additional demographics to score more sales; Knuckles' Chaotix was essentially built from the ground up to facilitate co-op play (though they ultimately failed there when the game is difficult enough to play alone), and they added a number of new characters with unique abilities to accommodate this new direction. Of course, this would only have been truly practical had they provided character-specific paths à la S3K, but when the characters are all spectacularly well designed, each with their own distinct style of play, you'd be hard-pressed to say that they weren't worthwhile additions to the series. They aren't even all that intrusive either, so there really is nothing to complain about.

Amy latches onto Sonic, gets kidnapped and drives fucking stupid cars. Worthless and intrusive. At least she wasn't the eyesore she is now.

6. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    I enjoyed Amy's levels in SA and Sadv1. Her gameplay is slower but I find it has more in common with the genesis games because it's not constant speed but puzzle platforming.

7. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
    Vector (1991). :v: (Vector was originally to be on a music band image for the S1 sound test)

I consider Metal Sonic to be a part of the original crew in Sonic. Every enemy has to have a henchman or aide, and Metal Sonic fits that.

8. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    My man. Gimme dap.

9. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    This and the fact that nobody else has Amy as a character (at least very few) are why she's in my hack.
    Edit: and Vector doesn't count. I was going by first released game. Vector is not in Sonic 1 final.

10. Ayla

Ayla

West Linn, OR
    I didn't mean the chaotix as filler.. I misread the post and whatnot. Go fig..

11. HighCaliburFun

HighCaliburFun

I gotta juice! Member
    USA
    I personally think Amy is a fine addition to the Sonic Universe, and I think her; as a character has brought a lot to the franchise as well. I know several women who became interested in the Sonic franchise because of Amy's personality and characteristics. To me, Amy is essential to Sonic's world.

12. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    <div align='center'>[​IMG]</div>

Using that logic, Minnie Mouse is nothing more than a fan character. And here's the funny thing. Amy is still a pink Sonic in a dress! The only difference between both characters is hair and actual clothes on Amy.

Terrible example.

Because she is?

They've stated several times that their relationship would be no more than a brother/sister sort of love. Can't blame you though, since SEGA can't seem to get their shit together on what they want them to be.

<div align='center'>[​IMG]
    Don't mind me, just posting superior brother/sister relationship.</div>

Yes? As a young child, girls were icky, men were men. Not to mention I wouldn't give a shit who's in the game. If I can't play them, or fight them, they're pointless to the game, especially in a platformer.

Mega Man didn't have a main female character until Mega Man 9, 20 years after the first game. Roll and Kalinka were there, sure, but they were minor characters and only mentioned in manuals.

Really, this is the worse argument you could ever come up with.

13. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    I did not say that Amy was a fancharacter, just that she looked like one. And Minnie Mouse doesn't even have a different hairstyle, just a bow! So, Shadow is just a dark Sonic? [/obvious] Silver is just a gray Sonic? Knuckles is just a red Sonic with dreadlocks?
    That was just an example. If you can find a better sprite, I would love to see it. I don't like this sprite's hammer animation.

I will say that the main reason I like modern Amy is because since Heroes, she's only a little bit slower than Sonic. Classic Amy had like, four playable appearances, while modern Amy has had ten that I can think of right now. Amy has made progress as a playable character. I don't like Amy in Adventure a whole lot, less than Gamma.

14. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Er, co-op could've been done with the already established characters. A character who is a defensless and female was a good addiction to the series because there was nothing like it at the time and she served a purpose no one else could fill, by your line of thought. I agree there's nothing to complain about the Chaotix though, just as there's nothing to complain about Amy, even if she was used more than the Chaotix.

Amy got kidnapped twice and held hostage a third time. We haven't seen any of that since SA2. She drove a car because the spinoff made the characters go for a race. She didn't ran as fast as them, hence the car. No one was angry to see Eggman driving the eggpod there either. I understand you do not like the character, but saying she's a eyesore just because hate her is pushing it. I mean, Amy was there for two cutscenes in Unleashed, everything else was optional. This isn't intrusive or an eyesore.

15. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    I don't know about the PS3/360 version, but in the Wii version, she is there every/nearly every time you talk to Professor Pickle after she finds out about Sonic's condition. It's far from optional to see her and talk to her.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    In the 360 version she simply stands outside professor pickle's study. You can talk to her if you want but she doesn't do anything outside of cutscenes. She was probably the most pointless character in the entire game, however I'll tip my hat to sega to dramatically cutting the number of characters in Unleashed (even so much as to getting rid of almost expected regulars like Knuckles and Shadow)

17. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

HD version. She just stands there and will only interact with Sonic if the player decides so. You can skip everything (except seeing her there I guess).

Yeah, she was pointless and the game would've been exacly the same if she wasn't there. The same with Tails, if we see it well. At least they both had excuses to be there though, they didin't do anything important, but they were seen, so it's nice for the fans of those characters for example.

Knuckles is my favourite character after Sonic and Eggman. Though I missed him, kudos to sega having the balls to cut off everyone else.

18. Ayla

Ayla

West Linn, OR
    I hope they have the balls to do it again with Needlemouse =P

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Nah not Knuckles. It's been a while since I've seen the classic gameplay as Knuckles I love so much. I don't care if there are multiple characters, its just if they're good or not. Knuckles and Tails are good. Rouge and Marine... and many others, are not.

20. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Rouge is a combo of Knuckles and Tails. How are they good and she's not?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.