don't click here

Amy's Appearance

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HighCaliburFun, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Does...

Does anyone care?

2. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Would you continue to buy the Sonic games if the only characters in them were the 4 main men over and over again? It's an age-old storytelling tradition to have females in the stories. They make things more diverse. If they weren't there, that's like taking away females from real life, it would simply be suckingly boring and repetitive.

3. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    Classic Amy -did- have Marzipan syndrome.

4. RevFirst

RevFirst

Maybe if some story is involved. Even then, it's about a blue hedgehog so I'm not sure why you were expecting realism (let alone drama). I'm still wondering why Sonic Team expects this too.

5. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
    Whoa, I did not know that. :psyduck: You did an amazing job!

lol

I also agree on the point that, with all the characters being introduced, it was inevitable that a female character would have to be introduced. Heroes generally have a 'love'-interest...even if they have stalking-like attributes. Amy fits this character.

Also, what happened to Amy's tarot card and fortune telling skills?

6. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    Mentioned in Sonic Battle.

7. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

I did.

OMG A FEMALE CHARACTER. I even bought a orange skirt and everything.

8. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    C'mon people, now you're just trying to stick your nostalgia goggles down your throats. It was obvious a female character would appear sooner or later, it just gives interest to the world that's happening. I mean, the only exception that comes to my mind now is Wile E.Coyote and Roadrunner, but hey, everyone knows how their gmaes ruled 8D

Amy's not a bad idea, she's perhaps a badly-IMPLEMENTED idea. I honestly prefer her Fleetway design, it wasn't SheSonic, but no Red-and-pink either.

9. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Used in Sonic Chronicles.

10. The Pulse

The Pulse

GLUTHAWK, KING OF THE HAWKS Member
    -Classic Amy is cute

-New Amy is nice

-STC Amy's outfit is all over the place

-STC Online is shit

^My views.^

Also: In the next game, Amy needs to summon her hammer by stomping the ground and having it fly out of the earth, catching it at the apex of its ascent.

11. Machenstein

Machenstein

I agree with this. To be honest, cute works much better for the Sonic characters than "mature" does. I firmly believe Sonic is suppose to be cute, and Amy is no exception. I would like her old design back as well.

But replace that orange and green dress with a sailor girl outfit. Now that would be cute.

12. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    ^ This. New Amy pwns clown Amy.

13. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Amy got more than a physical design change in Adventure- she was essentially a different character. Her personality changed from that of a poor, defenseless Sonic fan-girl into a fashionable young lady. Sure she still has a crush on Sonic and is always after his attention, but she has a life outside that, most clearly shown in Battle and Unleashed.

Also for those of us that were still young back in '98 (I was only 6), did anyone else not notice her design change? >.>

14. Lyrica

Lyrica

(Formerly: Donnyku) Oldbie
    Pennsylvania
    Wedding Planning
    I want a dress like Amy's current dress, I actually dreamed I had one last night :E

15. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Yes, cute works better. I always thought that a mix of cute and cool was what Sonic was all about to be honest. I mean, that's the vibe I get from the games, all the way to adventure (who can forget his getting hit or sliding down in sky deck animations) and portrayed again in Unleashed. Long Sonic is out of place, both 3D model and personality wise, while the cute design for Unleashed is Sonic's best model (to me) since SA. I don't like when Sonic is portrayed like some delinquent (in most spinoffs) or in any way mature. That's why the Sonic ova and that Sonic CD animation shorts rank so high to me, cool and cute. He has attitude and is a baddass, in a cute sort of way. He's flicking Eggman off and he still looks cute.

Amy attire isn't very mature, if we think about it. It's a halter dress with no cleavage and supposedly it reaches her knee, the skirt is flared because of a petticoat, and of course, there's Alice headband. All of this is associated with little and cute girls. Sure she looks more mature, but she still looks like a kid mostly. Overal however, we get a different vibe, I blame the colour scheme. I guess giving her a bow in that headband could help making her look more cute for example. The toy hammer already helps a lot I think.

16. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Dun see a problem with either a more mature portrayal of Sonic & co. nor Amy's current design. In fact, I prefer it.

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    This is exactly what I was gonna say. It's more like they ditched an old character that wouldn't fit with the new "vibe" Sonic's reinvention (redesigns, etc) was aiming for.

I personally think fangirl Amy was a more enjoyable character, which fitted better in the old games that didn't take themselves too seriously.

18. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Yes? It's not like I'm playing Sonic for any character other than Sonic, and I think the series would've attained the same popularity with or without the addition of a new chick in a relatively obscure game on a console that was never really alive to begin with. I'm surprised you even felt compelled to ask that question when the community never wastes any time in clamoring for the immediate removal of every character in the series save for the original four. What you're telling me is that Amy deserves to be there simply because she's female, and frankly, I think that's pretty bullshit: Games don't need females, they need good characters. Gender is irrelevant.

Hell, I don't even know why you're playing this angle when I can name a couple hundred great franchises that flourished with an all male cast. The Contra games consist almost entirely of sweaty beefcakes, and they didn't do too bad, right? I mean, there was Sheena in Hardcorps, and perhaps a few others somewhere along the way- do you want to know how many Sheena fans I've encountered over the years?

19. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    In my mind, there is only the original five. Sonic (1991), Dr. Eggman (1991), Tails (1992), Amy (1993), Knuckles (1994). And maybe Metal, cause he's awesome.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    This. Only I would definitely include Metal. He serves as an evil Sonic, which is great because unlike Shadow, who is an evil Sonic as well, Metal Sonic is emotionless, and purely evil. Shadow is bogged down with his past and is emo and depressing. All the roles are filled with the original 6.

Sonic - the hero
    Tails - the sidekick
    Knuckles - the rival
    Amy - The hero's annoyance; person in need of saving
    Robotnik - the villain
    Metal Sonic - the villain's right hand man/robot; evil clone of the hero

The rest are just filler.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.