don't click here

Project Needlemouse: old threads

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Aquaslash, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lizam

Lizam

Lizam Member
    Australia
    Mario & Sonic: Worlds Clash
    Here's an example with Sonic:
    Sonic Adventure Opening Cinematic

It may be only brief, but skip to 0:54

I thought that was spot on. So, Sonic running at top speed and pumping his arms in sync can work.

2. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    I think you can chalk that up to the camera angle. I was going to make a GIF of it, but VirtualDub won't open the video like it is and Handbrake is being useless for some reason.
    Dash's arms are also much smaller in relation to his body compared to Sonic. He also doesn't have the large begloved hands.

Edit: Actually, I'd go so far as to say that Dash's arms are freakishly short, his hands just barely reach his hips.

3. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    Wasent Sonic running with arms back as early as Sonic CD? Thats pretty classic, I mean, 1993. Used the same style of running in Sonic the movie in 96.

I just looks cool, I don't see what the problem is

4. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    You mean this? (It's at half speed so you can see it better.)
    [​IMG]

5. Ross-Irving

Ross-Irving

You've got a good point. They oughta shorten Sonic's arms, just a little bit. That reminds me of how ridiculously long they looked in Sonic Riders, everyone's arms looked long. To tell you the truth, my least favorite 3D sonic model is not the one from STH 06', but from the SR Zero Gravity.
    I thought it was clear that we didn't care about whether it was classic or not at this point.
    Yeah, that's it. Though, I wish the camera angle was a little better to show the movement.

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I think they tried to interpret Sonic's classic running pose in Sonic Jam's Sonic World, and it ended up looking... pretty bad. I think the arms-behind-back approach to the running pose is probably the best they could manage to fit with the character to look better at pretty much every angle thrown at it.

Not only that, but if you watch Sonic run at a side view in Sonic Adventure, you'll notice it's actually pretty close to the the classic view in terms of positioning. I don't think the change was as arbitrary as people play it off to be.

Also...
    This is a pretty valid point as well. It doesn't seem like it's ever been that out of place, all things considered...

7. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Agreed. What was ever wrong with Sonic running like that? Sure, I like the wheel-o-feet as much as the next guy, but the way his arms are positioned when doing that run looks rather funny in 3D. SA1's runstyle fits good enough (and hate all you like, but I liked Nextgen's run to an extent).

The only problem I have is when they don't make it look like Sonic is really running and is just sort of gliding across the ground in Unleashed. The thing I liked about the running in previous 3D entries was the fact that it made Sonic bob up and down, and it had a very aesthetic appeal to me (very realistic running) that made it look like it required some skill to get to that speed. Unleashed's run looked like he was high-speed figure skating.

8. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    In Sonic Adventure (DX), sonic stops bobbing up and down when he reaches maximum speed.

9. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Actually that makes a nice bit of sense. Although I've thought he "stopped bobbing" because he was moving his body so fast it seemed like he wasn't doing any of that kind of movement. Kind of supports the aesthetic appeal, actually.

I just think it looks sort of out of place whenever you're not even top speed and he's slipping and sliding across the floor of the level.

10. All this talk on Sonic's running sprite made me think of something.

I would like to SEE if Sonic could pull off the wheel of feet in a 2.5D environment.

Its both 3D and 2D so it would be something different to see that.

Would also hark back to the Genesis days for sure.

11. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    @RGamer2009: Sonic does a perfect 2.5D super peelout in Super Smash Brothers Brawl. The standard circular motion would just be the same type of animation without going into the figure 8.

12. trakker

trakker

[​IMG]

yeah that didnt look to bad in brawl, but it still didnt look quite right lol

13. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    I just hope they have the Super Peelout.

14. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    It would indeed be nice to see the Peel-Out return for this next game, hopefully in the style of Brawl's.

15. PorpoiseMuffins

PorpoiseMuffins

Saturday Morning Sonic
    The motion blur in brawl was perfect.

Sonic looks like his legs are hardly moving in Unleashed. As for the arms, I have no problem with the behind the back look at top speeds. I think it's great. If you were moving that fast, you wouldn't want to be wasting energy pumping your arms. It just looks silly. Wind resistance, too.

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    But, keep in mind this is not gonna be a 3D game, so those "that pose looks better in 3D" arguments are kinda invalid here.

17. Actually, I'm still thinking the trailer meant 2.5D, which is what Brawl was really. No point using such technology if you could pull something similar off on a machine from the late 90's, unless they plan on giving the game a MASSIVE amount of levels.
    Having said that, we don't know if the game is going to be VC/XBLA/PS3 equivelant yet, so I may well be talking out of my rear.

18. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    I still think that they meant 2.5D in the Sonic Rush sense though - basically using 3D models with an orthogonal projection (Brawl used perspective projection like a normal 3D game). Either way, I'm fine, I guess.

Probably we should wait for some gameplay footage, though.

19. trakker

trakker

I just hope they don't pull a "new super mario bros Wii" on us and just port up a sonic rush game ¬_¬

20. What?
    They are doing precisely what Nintendo are doing, which is precisely NOT that. NSMBW has similar but much improved graphics, but is completely different. New levels, powerups, characters, enemies/bosses. Project Needlemouse is doing the exact same thing. We don't know what graphical style it is going for, so we can't say which game it is 'porting'. But damnit, one is as bad as the other. No, sorry, one is as GOOD as the other. Where you are getting port from is beyond me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.