don't click here

Problems with recording on a high-end computer

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Selbi, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    So today I was trying to record some stuff of various hacks, but it failed, EPICLY. It stucks extremly, and that gives me a headache. Here is a 5 sec example: http://selbi.se.funpic.de/Record-Problem.wmv (damnly compressed due my slow connection)
    My computer specs: http://selbi.se.funpic.de/DxDiag.txt (I know, it's not really a high-end PC, but it is very new)
    I'm having a GeForce 260 GTX, which is actually a high-end graphic card. Also, a funny thing, though, is that it works on my old crap just fine. So how is that possible? Btw, I'm using Camtasia Studio 3.

2. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    If you're recording footage of hacks you could always use Kega Fusion's AVI dumper and something like SUPER © to encode it.
    Of course, since you're using 64-bit Vista I don't know if it'll work.

3. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Isn't there a way to do it with Camtasia? Since I never used Fusion, I'm not sure how to use the dump feature and I have to get used to the controls for Save states and everything, which is very anoying.

4. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    I've used FRAPS without problem, and GROWLER GUNCAM with a problem in the last version I downloaded (before I moved on to fraps).

guncam is free, just put your PC clock forward 20 years before install and it'll be free for 20 years and 15 days.

record at 30fps and you'll be fine.

5. HighFrictionZone

HighFrictionZone

Hi. Member
    Katy, Texas
    Nothing
    Do you use gens? I use Gens Movie 11a if I need to record something. Best quality can be had using uncompressed AVI as a dump location, but I've achieved decent results using it. If you want to do a live recording of yourself playing, just select a codec and compression level to match, you can usually achieve something that, while not the best, shows off enough of the gameplay to get the idea across. Alternately, record a playback movie (.gmv extension) and have it play back the file while recording on the highest quality setting. In this manner, the game will seem kinda jittery while it's recording, but since you aren't playing while recording that shouldn't be an issue. When the encoded movie is played back, it runs at full normal speed without issue.

6. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    I don't care about the quality at all, I just want it not to stuck every 2 seconds. Also, instead of using other programs, I want to use Camtasia, because I don't want to figure out how to use other things. Also, I PAID for that shit. Oh, forgot something: My PC can't disable display acceleration, could this be the problem?

7. HighFrictionZone

HighFrictionZone

Hi. Member
    Katy, Texas
    Nothing
    Hrm, I just noticed. You're using version 3 of Camtasia? Perhaps upgrading to a more recent version might help?
    Better yet, your DXdiag indicates that you are running vista. Perhaps try switching to the windows classic desktop and/or disabling the Aero effects?

From what I'm told newer versions of Camtasia work better than the older versions, and also having any sort of effects enabled in vista could consume directx resources and slow things down.

Also also, attempt running at a lower screen resolution (800x600, perhaps?), at least while recording. Lower resolution means the computer has less to draw which should mean faster results.

Finally, perhaps get an emulator which supports recording input files. In this way, you can play the game while recording your input, then have it play back your input while your existing recording software records the video.
    While this would still incur the lagging, since you already played the level, this lag wouldn't affect you while recording, and you could perhaps take steps after processing to smoothen out the frames or some shit like that.

8. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Are you fucking shitting me? Fusion's output is the best for what you want. Laziness promotes worthlessness.

9. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Why are you being so abrasive? You could have easily expressed the same view without being a condescending dick. Show some respect.

10. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Ok, thanks everyone, but I found my own solution: Using a Virtual PC. There I have a low frame rate, but at least my head is not hurting due this stucking on my normal PC.

PS: I tried the other things you told me, HighFrictionZone, but solution, using a newer version etc. wasn't the problem. Thanks though.

11. ...haha, what.

Try using a different codec. Or look if you set the framerate correctly.

12. HighFrictionZone

HighFrictionZone

Hi. Member
    Katy, Texas
    Nothing
    In an effort to boost the frame rate that you are getting, which emulator were you using? Perhaps recording from a different emulator might achieve faster results? If you cannot achieve tolerable results without resorting to a virtual PC, perhaps you might try to improve the results on the virtual pc. Make sure the graphics and input drivers for the guest operating system are installed correctly on your virtual PC, and set it to run at the lowest resolution and graphics depth you can work with (having 16-bit color instead of 24-bit color ought to improve graphics performance), as well as increasing the amount of RAM the virtual PC has.

Just trying to ensure optimal performance all around.

13. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    have raw YUV or huffYUV or perhaps raw RGB as output format, they will require least amount of processing power, but lot of HDD space...

14. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    @Oerg: On both, real comp and virtual PC I'm using the "Auto configure" function for codecs, so I don't think there is the problem. Tried it out though, without luck.

@HighFrictionZone: I'm using Gens, but it also doesn't work properly on Fusion. Thanks for that virtual PC tips though. Gonna try it out later.

@TmEE: Sorry, I don't understand a word...

15. Come on, can it be that hard to put in 30fps in the framerate and DivX as codec for a test?

16. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor