don't click here

Gaming Historian talks about Sonic The Hedgehog

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Rage, Jul 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It's "Say-gah" though occasionally it pops up as "Seh-gah" possibly because of accents or whatever. I blame the "Seh", because some people will pronounce that as "say" and others "sehhh"

Sega Rally and Outrunners are two official games that have a slight variation, but even in the master system days it was "say-gah"

but in the early days of PAL ads it was See-gah

so basically the only people to blame are Sega's inabillity to get their name right in the late 80s and accents

2. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    It really annoyed me how he pronounced Ristar. I've never heard it said Rye-Star before.

3. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I think he meant it like, "SEGA has released the Genesis - or Mega Drive (in EU/JP) - in the United States."

4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Yeah, that's not right at all. It's supposed to be Rist-ar - because it's a pun on his wrists, which he uses a lot of in the game =P

EDIT: And it's say-gah.

And Ma-rio, not MAH-rio =P

5. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid
    its Say - Guh .. . .. . if you say "see - guh" . . . youre from the midwest, or south dakota don't cha know.

Its Rye-Star. . .like rising star.

the red brick building shown as sega is the new sega building in san francisco - the actual old one (88-93) was in south san francisco

if "mad" is the mother of sega then . . yeah well I'll just leave that one alone. . but then by the same reasoning this guy <a href="http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,9915/" target="_blank">Bert</a> is the dad... but in a confusing timmy has four dads and a mom but they live in different houses kinda way. hes the guy who solidified the reward scheme of x# of rings = continue and x# = free man..etc. hes the us arm that went to japan during development.

the clinton thing is highly dubious. .. but like the michael jackson or teddy roosevelt it depends on how many people believe it to be true... then it becomes true.

[​IMG]

re: the mickey and mario poses being similar: its the two buttons that signify suspenders and the "y" from ymca pose...after sonic launched, see how many mascots followed that popped out of a circle and had their fingers up as either #1 or peace sign or thumbs up...including but not limited to ghostbusters1-2, chuck e. cheese, crash, bubsy, bug!, conker, awesome possum, zero, aero,

I guess episode 2 is in the works?

6. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    Well, maybe the American Branch say it [sæ.g?], but im sure is [s?.ga], at least thats how the japanese will pronounce it because they pronunciation is more similar to Spanish, at least with the vowels.

7. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Just watched it, he seems to have basically paraphrased the Gametap Retrospective.

Dean: The Bill Clinton thing come right from the man himself (Oshima).

8. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    I'm pretty sure they say Sehga in this thing, which IS a PAL-Release.

9. PorpoiseMuffins

PorpoiseMuffins

Saturday Morning Sonic
    Hmm... Why add a "y" that's not there? I don't know of many other words in which "e" gets a long A sound.

But obviously both pronunciations are used by both the company and its fans, so who really cares?

...and my vote goes for "wrist-ar" :P

10. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    That was a pretty cool video, nice find. Wonder when part 2 will be up.

11. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    From what I've been looking around, it seems that pretty much almost all languages use those vowels, with English being the major exception =/

12. Malpass

Malpass

Fell at the Battle of the Wing Fortress, 1992. Member
    Well thanks to that screen and sound on the Mega Drive Sonic games, I've always said it as "Say-ga".

13. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

Earth
    You must be hearing wrong because it clearly says [s?.ga] not [sæ.ga], but it extends the ? part so is more like [s???.ga], there must be better transcription for that but I forgot what it was.

In fact I have my genesis playing that sound to be sure.

14. HighFrictionZone

HighFrictionZone

Hi. Member
    Katy, Texas
    Nothing
    I pronounce it like in this video. If I had to write out a way to say it, I'd write it out as SAY-guh, but I do not know how to best represent it textually, so that's just the best approximation I can get to the way I pronounce it.

As for this video, it is kinda neat seeing all this information summarized, but I don't think any of it is really new.
    Waiting for part two!

15. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

Earth
    If you really pronounce it like that, then you pronunce it more like [s?.ga], Say-guh [sæ.g?] will sound very differently. English writing is really bad with vowels, this language has more than the usual "latin" vowels, so is kind of confusing writing a textual representation, thanks to a phonetics class I took in my University I learned a lot of this stuff, is really interesting, like what we are having right now, different ways to pronounce Sega.

16. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    <div align='center'>[​IMG]</div>

Two movies that debuted years before Sonic.

A chain of family themed restaurants founded by Nolan Bushnell, the Atari guy, back in 1977.

17. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Freaking hell, is just "Say gay" ¿?

NOT.

18. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Say-Gah has always been the way I've pronounced it.

19. Verse

Verse

Posts once a year. Oldbie
    Pomona, CA , USA
    Freedom Planet Soundtrack
  20. Deathbyteacup

Deathbyteacup

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons. Member
    Just out of curiosity, did you ask Sega / Masato Nakamura for permission to remix it in the first place?

He's using it to illustrate the music in the game. It's fair use IMO considering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.