The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Well it's decided, the animal system in SA2 wasn't properly tested. Not only did I find yet another level with an extra animal, but I found that each of them inside a steel container in Crazy Gadget is there again after Sonic dies and adds to the counter anyway as well. Not happy with this, I found a glitch in the Chao containers as well, which I haven't understood very well how it works but it's there.

2. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Here's something weird I found out quite a while ago.

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, PAL-Version, Dark Side Story, cutscene before Final Chase.
    If you have German subtitles on, the instrumental of "Fly in the Freedom" will play for the entire cutscene, but when set to English subtitles (and presumably the others), the music will pause and then switch to the instrumental of "Throw it All Away" after Rouge's revelation.
    Weird.

3. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    I can't say that I've seen someone do something quite like this before. After watching some S3&K Let's Play videos I felt like whipping the game out. I was curious and wanted to try that trick where I kill the Angel Island Miniboss go throught the tube in Act 2, and then go backwards all the way to where the fire started. I did a spin dash when I was at the Starpost and accidentally died because the spikes came through as soon as I spindashed. The craziest thing happened. When I came back, Act 1 music started playing (this is where it normally plays anyway but since you already defeated the mini boss the Act 1 music keeps playing as you run into Act 2). I'm wondering what the behavior is for this in Sonic 3...my instinct says that Act 2 music still plays because of the glitch that happens when you exit the Bonus Stage. Either way I found this pretty funky and I think I may try something else to see what happens.

To my knowledge I've never seen anything quite like this so I was wondering if anyone else has.

On another note, this Act 2 music comes back after the boss.

EDIT: Just what I thought! When doing the same thing in Sonic 3 alone, this doesn't happen. I guess the glitch they "fixed" in S3&K created another "bug". In S3&K after you would normally "return" to that area after a bonus stage, that portion is fixed to correctly playing the AIZ Act 1 music, however I guess that have it set even when you die! Although this "cover up" is a great solution to get rid of that pesky Act 2 music bug, it overrides everything. But I guess this is fair since they never anticipated anyone to go backwards!

I really wish I could post video of this :/

4. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Testing YOUR Hacks Since 2005... Member
    Emerald Hill Zone
    Looking for a Rom Hack to Test.
    I did this the other day (after watching GOLDS Video). Its good if you don't like AIZ 2's Music :)

5. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Interesting....

and btw, his video quality is perfect. :P

6. HighFrictionZone

HighFrictionZone

Hi. Member
    Katy, Texas
    Nothing
    Uploaded a video showing how to trigger this glitch to youtube.
    Sorry it took too long to upload, was having connection issues all night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA1D7m3XscA

It should be done processing within a few minutes. I'll try to add annotations to explain some things once it's finished processing. Hopefully, youtube doesn't make it out of sync or reduce the quality to an unrecognizable point.

EDIT: Added quote because of newpage. Now people will know just what I posted a video of!

7. XCubed

XCubed

Thanks so much for your robust level of awesome!

8. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    So does it mean that they patched it by forcing the act 1 music to play when respawning from that specific checkpoint? =/

9. XCubed

XCubed

I think so. They just didn't think anyone would go backwards. But I'm wondering why the invisible barrer after the miniboss dissapears. It makes sense to be blocked at the site of the "fire" because it's a completely different "level."

10. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Its locked until you go into a special stage or bonus stage. The reason it unlocks is because the game is loading Act 2 again which means its gonna have the full size size in place again.

Of course, yea, they could have ran checks to reenforce the screen lock though...

11. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    If you think that the blue shield in Sonic 3D is useless, you're wrong... It actually protects you from the floor hazards in Gene Gadget zone :o

I'm not the first one to find this certainly but I guess it should be here =P

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Just a question. Do you ever think that you'll make a Saturn version of the No Flickies in Sonic 3D Blast hack that you made?

Also that's cool lol Yay non useless shield.

13. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

It also protects against the electric current that some towers spew in Panic Puppet. It's like the electric shield, but with no magnetic force to attract rings.

14. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I thought in the manual it mentioned that it provided basic defense against electric attacks...

15. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    I'd need to learn to hack Saturn games first... Then disassembly all program files and see what has to be modified... But before all that I'd need to get a working Saturn emulator. YABAUSE sucks badly, SSF is made assuming you have a CPU with 9001 cores (which I don't) and I can't find the version of Cassini that used to work in my old computer =| (good luck finding anything newer than Cassini 1.0)
    I don't have the manual >_>

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ah. The Saturn emulator actually works on this computer (It lags a bit during Spring Stadium though). I didn't think that there would be many code differences beyond some menus and the art or something, but what do I know. Just asking because IMO the Saturn version is superior to the Genesis graphically and musically... and Special Stage wise.

17. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    They probably used similar algorithms, but the hardware is completely different (two SH2s instead of the 68k, two VDPs with different capabilities, no ROM but only RAM and program and data has to be loaded from the CD, etc.). It'd be pretty much the same as disassembling a whole new program.

18. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Fun Fact:

The Genesis/Mega Drive version of Sonic Spinball features our loveable Assface Sonic and classic Robotnik.
    [​IMG]

The MS/GG version, however, depicts AoStH-style Robotnik and a slightly Japanese-styled Sonic.
    [​IMG]

19. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    You mean better faced Sonic.

20. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    That's (arguably) not better.