don't click here

Region Bypass Game Genie/ PAR codes

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Glisp, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Glisp

Glisp

That one weird guy that does stuff. Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.
    Damn, you're good! How much would it cost for you to mod my Nomad. Oh BTW my Nomad has some dead Pixels so there are orange spots on the screen. Can that be fixed or is that something I'm going to have to live with. I actually Don't really care about the blurriness at all because I play Gameboy Games that suffer from similar problems. In fact eventually problems like that don't stop you because you get used to them. Example: I used to die a lot in Sonic Heroes but now that I'm used to the unresponsive controls and know how to work around them it doesn't bother me as much even with the occasional bad clipping glitches.

Is it possible to have the Nomad play games from all regions simultaneously? It seems like they originally designed the Nomad as a way to play out of US titles with how the cartridge door was designed. Someone needs to fix up the Nomad wiki article I'd do it myself but I'm lazy. Last time I checked the wiki article they were making it sound like the Nomad could only play US titles. That is a lie of course a number of the contributors seemed to be from Europe so it makes sense since the Nomad was never released beyond the US and Japan. (Sega Mega Jet in Japan with no built in screen.) No offense to Europeans intended by the previous remarks.

Actually entering Game Genie codes every time I want to play an Import doesn't really bother me. Of course that's most likely because I'm insane. I am after all the person that can listen to Sonic and Knuckles Invincibility theme for nearly an hour non-stop.

2. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Haha, do be careful using a soldering iron. I have a couple lovely blisters on the inside of my hand due to a clumsy handling of it. If you do cut the wrong links, though, it's fairly simple to just solder them back together though.

Yeah, electronics lab was interesting this week.

3. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    You don't seem to be living in Europe, and that means you're gonna have probably high shipping cost on your side... more than the mod itself would go for (I ask 10EUR (13USD) for the mod), shipping cost will depend on the weight of the package.

For the screen, in 50Hz, it becomes very non blurry, games like sonic become very playable (the shots I took weren't exactly the best, many frames got mangled into one)... I have beaten quite a few shmups on my nomad recently, as long as bullets aren't using same colors as backgrounds, its gonna be fine. (My Nomad is put into 50Hz without a switch, I have my other Nomad for 60Hz :P)

A Nomad is nothing but a MD2 with screen, and all rules that apply to MDs will apply to Nomads... it is only 1 region at the time, BUT what I like to do is map region settings under buttons, so for example holding Start will mean Japanese, release means English... or Mode is 50Hz when down, 60Hz when up (50/60 is recommended to be put as a switch if you want to play something IN 50Hz).

And some other nice mods I did to my Nomad are Mode+Start=Reset, enabling SMS and 32X compatibility. I will hook my Nomad to a MegaCD sometime ;P

aaaand Nomad is US only, it never saw any Japanese or European release... the thing is fully 50Hz compatible and I see no reason why Sega did not release it in Europe... Europe was the strongest market for MDs (except in Germany and Scandinavian countries).

I have got plenty of burns from soldering during some 12 years... fingertips of my left hand are quite numb as they get burned a lot (holding components with fingers, best way to know when things get too hot :P).

4. Glisp

Glisp

That one weird guy that does stuff. Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.
    I have 13 US Dollars on me right now. That just leaves the Shipping costs.... If I send the Nomad by itself how much would you guess it would weigh? Actually never mind because I'm too familiar with the US metric system. lol. But I'll weigh the Nomad by itself and Then I'll put it into a lightweight Shoebox with some leftover bubble wrap lining from one of the Packages I recieved from Ebay. (I never throw anything away.lol.)

Now are HZ and FPS the same thing? Because I've heard the Genesis/Mega Drive referred to as going 60 frames per second. In fact the only time I actually see 60/50 HZ is when game Region locks are involved in the same sentence.

How did you manage to get a hulking 32X on your Nomad? Those two things together must weigh a ton! It would be nice to have a portable Sega CD. the only annoying part would be the size. The Nomad's huge enough. (No offense.) I probably get a ton of Penis size jokes behind my back at school due to the size of my Nomad.XD Something tells me that the Nomad is going to be really popular with all of this information.

Yeah I know. Most likely it was because of the time it was released. (1995 or so.) The Genesis/Mega Drive's popularity was dwindling and I suppose they feared that since the Nomad didn't fare too well in the US that bringing it into European markets would be a very bad idea.

5. TmEE

TmEE

Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    Sending the Nomad back to you will cost 15USD, that is, if the package would not exceed 1kg and it won't since Nomad is less than 0.5kg and I have never seen a fitting box that would weight more than 0.5kg :P . Total would be 13+15 so 28USD. Usually I am open to doing trades, but right now I'm low on cash and my wallet needs refreshments because there's not too much money left to buy electronic parts and stuff. And this financial talk should resume in PM manner.

They are same thing... in NTSC world you have 60Hz rate, in PAL world 50Hz (and now 60Hz) rates.

I'm creative and have quite a bit of knowledge regarding how things work or can work :words:
    Old thread with old and shitty pics - http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19760
    it goes more into proof of concept area, but its nothing difficult from there on.

it could not have been worse than bringing it to US... Sega kicked the competitors into other galaxies in Europe in 16bit era in most countries.... year number was late, but there was still lot of MDs around ,and nomads are quite seeked for things in Europe, fetching 100EUR+ prices easily... damn I have so much money in my room :P

6. Toasty

Toasty

BulbaSAUR! Member
    Well the good news is I finally got my Genesis modded. I just need to mound the switches to the top (and get a new switch for JP/ENG because apparently I bought the wrong one....). The bad news is I still can't play my EU Sonic 3 without the Game Genie. :( Unless I want to play with the screen rolling rapidly and in black/white.

[​IMG]

My only region locked JP games right now are Bare Knuckle II, Bare Knuckle III, and Dynamite Headdy, but I'm sure I'll get more sometime.

p.s. shitty cam quality because I used my DSi. Can't find my camera...

7. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Your TV doesn't support PAL, by the sound of it. If you can get a VGA or SCART RGB output going, those should work.

8. TmEE

TmEE

Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
  9. Tony H

Tony H

Not sure if anyone still wants this, but I figured out how to let you play the Japanese Dynamite Headdy cart on a US Genesis console with just one Game Genie code instead of three...

Regional Lockout Bypass Code:

N2BT-AA5N
    Lets you play the Japanese cart on a US Genesis.

For anyone that's interested, there were two issues going on there... A regional check, and a checksum routine. The code I made simply jumps over both of them.

I've got some other regional bypass codes if anyone wants them:

http://www.angelfire.com/games2/codehut/RegionalBypassGG.txt

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hmm... Any chances of getting the PAL version of Thunder Force IV to work on NTSC systems without any strange messages appearing in the title screen?

That would be the only way of playing that game in full speed, with the original title and the 100 lives cheat available...

11. TmEE

TmEE

Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    only with code or modification ot the system

Its region locked, and TF4 is PAL optimized so it does not run too right in 60Hz, and you'll be haivng muuuch more slowdown. if you want 60Hz, you better get Japanese version.

12. Tony H

Tony H

AACA-AR86 (patch/hex code = $0004DC:6700)
    CTPA-AN4C (patch/hex code = $001A42:6614)

Give those 2 codes a try (must use both codes). As before, one code kills the regional check, and the other code kills the checksum routine. Let me know if it works.

EDIT: Just noticed that you didn't mention anything about wanting Game Genie codes... So if you wanted GG codes, there you go... If you didn't want GG codes, ignore my post.

EDIT #2: Added patch/hex codes just in case.

13. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Well, it's easy to convert them back into hex patches for PAR use.

14. Tony H

Tony H

Here's a quick update to the Thunder Force IV Game Genie codes...

One of the codes I posted before (CTPA-AN4C (patch/hex code = $001A42:6614)) worked when used with the regional bypass code, but it's not a "true" master code. This new code (below) works with the regional bypass code, and it's a "true" master code (ie. it bypasses the checksum routine).

AABT-AA5J
    Master code (use to get rid of blank screen when using other codes).

And the ROM/Patch/Hex code if anyone needs it: 000368:6000

15. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    In the future you could post at gscentral or gshi and ask for Tony Hedstrom. He knows how to make those codes.

16. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Is this a joke post? He just replied literally right before you.

17. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    I guess I should have read the 2nd page. From what I could tell the problem was resolved on the 1st page so I didnt read further.

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Very interesting, thanks a lot!

19. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Sorry to bump this, but I don't suppose anyone could help me get a code to run Pacman 2: the new adventures on my PAL Mega Drive? It's the only American Genesis game I own with region lockout, and I can't find a code for it anywhere. Thanks.

20. Tony H

Tony H

Give this a try...

Pac-Man 2 - The New Adventures

DTLT-JA4T
    Lets you play the US cartridge on a European/PAL Mega Drive.

I only tested it on an emulator, but it should work fine on real hardware.

Let me know.