don't click here

Comparing the Sonic Series to the Beatles

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by service gamer, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. service gamer

service gamer

Bloomington, Indiana
    Trying my hardest to write a book
    I've kicked this idea around for quite some time now, and I've decided to gamble a bit and share it with you. I'm a bit hesitant, as I hope it merits discussion, but if I never take a chance on posting, I'll never contribute, so...

In short, I see a big time parallel between the Sonic series and the Beatles. The Genesis Sonic games serve as the Beatles time together as a band, while the next-gen games act as the subsequent solo albums put out by the Beatles. I'm going strictly on perceived quality and content of the works, not any secondary personal issues (a la, the John/Paul feud, for example). I'll compare some games, though the Beatles catalog outnumbers Sonic's Genesis titles, so not all albums will got proper inclusion (but this isn't a Beatles board, so not too much of a biggie, I guess). Without further ado:

Sonic 1 = (Please Please Me)

An early introduction to a cultural phenomenon. Both parties would evolve, but just as many Beatles fanatics prefer the early, pre-sophisticated days of the Fab Four, so too do many Sonic fans consider the original to represent the best of the series. Though not as complex as later entries, both still remain classic.

Sonic 2 = Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

In my opinion, the best singular Sonic game. Also, the general consensus seems to regard this as the pinnacle of the series. And as Sgt. Pepper offered unprecedented innovation, Sonic 2 introduced Tails and the spin dash (okay, so these two additions don't really compare to the innovation of Sgt. Pepper, but the main point is that Sonic 2 and Sgt. Pepper represent respective benchmarks).

Sonic CD = The White Album

The oddball masterpieces. Though based on the double-sized nature of the White Album, a more apt comparison might be Sonic 3 & Knuckles. But taking the content of Sonic CD and the White Album into account, these two are a match made in Heaven. Both took each party into a completely different direction than prior entries into their respective catalogues…and did so in such unique ways. Just a sampling: Sonic CD, time travel dynamic; the White Album, “Revolution 9.”

Sonic 3 & Knuckles = Abbey Road

As these two Sonic entries combine to represent the last proper entry into the series’ Genesis canon, Abbey Road serves as a similarly epic swan song. Though both stand in the shadow of more acclaimed predecessors (Sonic 2, Sgt. Pepper), each have strong advocates in their corner as well. You might even note the similarities between the tight segue provided by the lock-on technology and the seamlessly flowing “Abbey Road Medley” that closes the album. Each also represents the last consensus classic in either party's catalogue.

Sonic 3D Blast = Let It Be

Okay, so Sonic 3D Blast differs from Let It Be in that it wasn't created prior to S3&K (as LIB had been recorded prior to Abbey Road, but released after). But chronologically speaking, both were the last releases of each (well, the Genesis Sonic series and the Beatles as a band). And both were solid, but couldn't quite measure up to the standards of previous entries. The gargantuan shadow cast by previous entries obscured the fact that, independent of the lofty standards of prior Sonic titles and the Beatles catalogue, both are great in their own right.

And depending on which Beatle's solo career that you prefer, you can interchange some of the solo albums in the following comparisons (and I'll even put some other options in parenthesis).

Sonic Adventure = John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band (or All Things Must Pass, or Band on the Run)

The first next-gen Sonic outing was well-received by critics, just as Plastic Ono Band. Though many 3D Sonics have seemingly diminished the series' legacy, Sonic Adventure remains as a high-quality 3D Sonic game. I've chosen Lennon as my primary comparison as his first two albums most closely resemble the first two Sonic Adventures. All Things Must Pass was followed by Living in the Material World...the quality discrepancy is vast between these two. Band on the Run and its successor Venus and Mars arguably fit just as well as Lennon's pair of albums, but they are not the first in McCartney's solo catalogue, so it's not as tight a fit chronologically speaking as Plastic Ono Band and Lennon's next album, Imagine.

Sonic Adventure 2 = Imagine (Living in the Material World, Venus and Mars)

Both SA2 and Imagine are not as critically acclaimed as their first entries, but many fans argue that each surpass the quality of SA1 and Plastic Ono Band, respectively.

Sonic Heroes = Sometime in New York City (Lennon) (or Dark Horse, or Back to the Egg)

Both Sometime in NYC and Sonic Heroes were eagerly anticipated. Both disappointed fans and critics alike. Both introduced 'team' dynamics—Heroes with, of course, the team dynamic, and Sometime with the first John Lennon album where he splits track space with Yoko Ono. Dark Horse, by George Harrison, might be included, but only based on the disappointment factor (and the comparisons aren't apt, as Sonic Heroes was an attempted back-to-basics game, Dark Horse intentionally went in another direction from the expected sound of a Beatles album). Back to the Egg, by McCartney, was a straightforward rock album with the occasional experimental track (definitely Beatles-esque in format) and featured the superband Rockestra within the album (the team dynamic). But once again, Lennon's album seems a better fit.

Sonic 2006 = Gone Troppo (George Harrison)

Both have their moments, but are generally lazy and uninspired. Of course, Sonic 2006 had more to do with a misguided rehash while Gone Troppo was an audio account of George Harrison's disillusionment with the music industry. This was probably the toughest one for me to pick; I pretty much like all of the Beatles solo outings, so I picked a poorly received album with redeeming qualities, as I feel that Sonic 2006 had some redeeming aspects as well. But yeah, neither sniff masterpiece status.

Sonic Unleashed = Double Fantasy (Lennon)

With Sonic Unleashed, the series needed to rebound after 2006. With Double Fantasy, Lennon needed to rebound after a five-year hiatus as 'house-husband.' Both are great entries, but fall short in overall quality of either their original glory days (Genesis Sonic, the Beatles) and their initial post-glory days offerings. You definitely could make comparisons with George Harrison's rebound album Cloud Nine and McCartney's post-Wings critical smash Tug of War.

The Hypothetical WiiWare Sonic 4 = The Anthology Singles

I guess I'm just thinking wishfully here, but let's have this idea come full circle. The remaining Beatles met in the mid 1990s to make two new Beatles songs based on old Lennon recordings, attempting to recapture the magic of the glory days. How about Sega somehow creating a new Sonic game based on older, Genesis technology to recapture the magic of their glory days?

I apologize in advance for the length, but I'm dying to get some feedback on this idea. Thoughts?

2. Leo

Leo

At first I was "meh", but then I started Reading this a bit closer and it Kinda makes sense, a really interesting work.

However I think Sonic 2 wasn't the best of sonic games, yes, tails appeared, but he couldnt fly or do anything, it was a clone of sonic, apart from that, I didn't liked the level design either, there were too many "MEH" levels in the middle that made me want to go away. While it's Brother Sonic CD (developed at the same time) had a constant feeling trough the levels and I enjoyed every single one of it.

3. Tenniru

Tenniru

Duty Now For The Future Oldbie
    I would have to say the only Beatle solo career that resembles the development of the Sonic series is Ringo's, just because his stuff is the only material I find uninspired enough to compare to, say, Sonic 2006. Remember, even Gone Troppo had an old Beatles tune (Circles), a song that would wind up as the theme song to a movie (Dream Away, in Time Bandits), and even that was filler.

Assuming the 3D Blast is Let It Be, and excuse some chronological messing up...

SONIC JAM - SENTIMENTAL JOURNEY
    -This was a cover album, and honestly you can't tell what he's capable of. All we have are throwbacks to older, successful things, and the only really new thing is either Sonic World or Ringo's until-then-rare voice.

SONIC R - BEAUCOUPS OF BLUES
    -The first time he did a full, new thing (3D or solo album). It's still not entirely on track, with Ringo purposely focusing on country and Sonic purposely focusing on racing; you can't quite tell what they're capable of.

SONIC ADVENTURE - "RINGO"
    -The defining moment. Most see this as the first proper outing; either the first real 3D game or serious album. (Even Ringo calls this one his "first", judging by the title of Ringo The 4th.) A bunch of friends show up; every Beatle, plus Billy Preston and a few others. This is what the rest of his discography is measured against, usually unfavorably.

SONIC ADVENTURE 2 - GOODNIGHT VIENNA
    -An attempt to make another "Ringo". Some argue it's just as good, others argue it comes a bit short. The friends are trimmed down, but still play a major role. Generally, what people liked about Ringo is still in Vienna, and for many marks the end of the high point of his career.

SONIC HEROES - RINGO'S ROTOGRAVURE
    -Everything has changed. The Dreamcast, like Apple Records, is gone, and our hero is a guest on someone else's territory (multiplatform or Atlantic/Polydor). Looking at the cast, you think it'd be good; every Beatle contributes again, plus even more. Unfortunately, they don't live up to the expectations (not even their own standards), and the new allies (Dr. John, Peter Frampton/Cream, Omega) do not help. And just because everyone misses Eric Clapton/Chaotix doesn't mean it'll be good. It's not horrible, but it's far more mediocre and not as serious.

SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG - RINGO THE 4TH
    -Well, it's not BAD. I mean, if you like that kind of thing, it works. The problem is that not many people do, and few will admit to it, so it's usually the butt of all the jokes. Ringo did a disco album. Shadow has a gun. I mean, it's not a badly-produced album, but THESE THINGS DO NOT MIX.

SONIC 2006 - BAD BOY
    -...but at least some people could, if forced to admit it, find something to like about Ringo The 4th. This was just shit. The same mistakes repeated, and more awful flaws added in. They just don't care anymore.

SILVER'S PART IN SONIC 2k6 - SCOUSE THE MOUSE
    -Made under similar circumstances at the same time, but they were tolerable. Even good. Nobody remembers them.

SONIC AND THE SECRET RINGS - STOP AND SMELL THE ROSES
    -The freefall is stopped, but he's not quite good yet. The potential is back; the excess is disappearing, some return to his roots has happened, and there's some direction, but he's not doing it very well. Better than the last effort, but he's getting there...

SONIC UNLEASHED WIIS2 - OLD WAVE
    -Even closer. You can tell what he's aiming for, and at times you totally feel it and enjoy it; it's the last effort, but better. Just take that and add a little more refinement, and you have the just better enough...

SONIC UNLEASHED PS360 - TIME TAKES TIME
    -Got it! Consistently good! You don't have to close your eyes to ignore the flaws, and the good parts dominate the effort. You can say without a doubt that the excess and failed experiments are gone, the effort is back, and he's good again.

I hope the Sonic franchise doesn't follow that pattern, because that would mean he'd start being mediocre again for another decade, and then release one more masterpiece (Choose Love) and then finish his transformation into a grumpy old man.

4. service gamer

service gamer

Bloomington, Indiana
    Trying my hardest to write a book

I will say that it killed me to even put Gone Troppo in the same conversation with Sonic 2006, but I sort of made up my mind just to use John, Paul, and George's music in the comparison simply because Ringo's best songs needed 'a little help from his friends' to write (well, in my opinion). But hats off to you, when you take the number of entries into account from the Sonic series, the Ringo comparison makes sense. I guess I was just too lazy to even consider games like Sonic R and Jam :argh: .

But as for that last part, you didn't like Liverpool 8?

5. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    The Beatles quit while they were still good

6. He really is the Eggman.

7. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Okay, this is pretty win. I had for once completely forgotten this.

8. Tenniru

Tenniru

Duty Now For The Future Oldbie
    No. It's not as awful as his late 70s work, but it pales in comparison to Choose Love, IMO... and the title track just bothers me to no end.

9. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    Early Sonic soundtracks were changed somehow.

Early Beatles records were changed somehow.

You should probably get the connection.

10. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Wow, I can't believe I missed this topic. I love the Beatles. They're actually my favorite band.

Some really nice points, OP.

11. I'm actually listening to the entire Sgt. Pepper Album because of this thread. I'd like to thank you for this.

12. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    It'd better damn well be vinyl.

13. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    People still care about this?

14. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
  15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Thanks for reminding me, I need to speak to someone about that...

16. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
  17. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    It's still a nifty collectors item =P

18. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    True, but having since my parents have a really large collection of vinyl, I really have to wonder why people think it's so great compared to CDs...

19. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Well in this particular case it's purely the novelty, at least in my opinion. I agree in general, though.

20. MooMoo

MooMoo

Leader Bean Member
    Some interesting points. However, I would argue that Sgt Pepper is somewhat overrated...an actually I think Sonic 2 is really.

Don't get me wrong, I love Sonic 2, but I don't get why people (of the forums I've been on) vote it as the best Sonic game. Likewise, I don't belive Sgt Pepper is the Beatles best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.