don't click here

Sonic Megamix

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Stealth, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    There already is, sort of. Once you beat the game with a character and you select them, hitting continue will give you the option between Normal Game and Extra Game. That works well enough as an indicator you went through their game.

2. Leonard the Genie

Leonard the Genie

Prices aren't the only thing getting slashed Member
    Seeing as Megamix is apparently using CDDA now, will it be possible for players to change the soundtrack to their own? Considering the game is on Sega CD, burning it with your very own soundtrack would be very awesome.

3. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    ...Think about all those people on Youtube though. *Shudders*

4. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    Yes, because, much like Sonic CD, I am sure you will need something like Megamix(u)01.mp3 or something, changing that to anything should work.

5. ShadowsofYesterday

ShadowsofYesterday

I have no idea what's going on. Member
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sonic and the Magic Hat
    I agree with what this guy says. Besides, the songs were built into the game with the LAST release. I don't see why they'd be mp3s now.

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    My thoughts to combat the alleged custom soundtrack tomfoolery would be to distribute the final release in heavily compressed BIN/CUE format. It'd be larger, but it would certainly be worth it in the end, I think.

7. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    How does that stop anyone from mounting the BIN/CUE in a Virtual Drive and ripping it to ISO/MP3 to replace the tracks?
    (I still think you should ditch the CDDA and just replace it with ADPCM so you can fit more audio in there.)

8. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    It doesn't, but bear in mind that most people who intend on replacing the entirety of the soundtrack with Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory probably won't have the intuitive thought processes required to devise—let alone go through with—such a process.

As for ADPCM... well, I'm not really the guy to talk to about that, honestly—that'd be Stealth's field of expertise.

9. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    No, we're not doing ADPCM, and no, that's not feasible for full music on a Mega CD at all.

10. KMMouse

KMMouse

UK
    Cinos - Battle of the Order Gems
    Long story short, you're gonna do your best, but to the really determined people, there's bugger all you can do to stop them.lol

Well, that's the perils of the older systems - not as much protection against these things.

I confess, I did make a full custom soundtrack of Sonic CD for my PSP emulator, but at least I used Sonic songs from across the generation as a replacement. *nods* But I'm sure the songs you're getting for this will be so awesome we won't need our own version. :D

11. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    May I ask if your going to release the music seperatly as well, as the music sounds awesome and I would love to get the tracks on my MP3Player.

12. Christian B.

Christian B.

I'm looking forward to the final sound track at post development.

13. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Yeah but remember idiots gather in numbers and try to use .25% of their brain powers to actually form 1 brain they just might figure it out then show the other idiots how using a "____ for idiots" self-guide. Someone should create a documentary on the idiot species of mankind it would be a fascinating watch.

If I didn't say it once already, great to see megamix back and bla bla bla :psyduck: people have already said what I was going to say.

14. The Pulse

The Pulse

GLUTHAWK, KING OF THE HAWKS Member
    Okay, so question.

Is Misty Maze Act 4 (in extra mode) supposed to be unbeatable? I always drown after the part where you can light dash onto a switch platform. No air bubbles or anything, just...water. o.o

15. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Yeah, I wondered that as well, but I just thought it was because it wasn't complete, and a sudden release due to the misunderstanding.

16. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Yes, as stated earlier in this thread, that act isnt complete....

17. ShadowsofYesterday

ShadowsofYesterday

I have no idea what's going on. Member
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sonic and the Magic Hat
    I had the misfortune of getting that level in Extra Mode (the only way the level can end is with death, and you only get one life for Extra Mode). I thought "Oh, cool, another fourth act. I'll save state here, like a state saving faggot."

As it turns out, I was able to make it to the end of the level, but the "end" of that level is really just a gigantic open space underwater with no signpost or anything. Funny, I never use save states (they're fine, if you can live with cheating to beat a game), and the one time I use them, I get myself stuck in a lose/lose situation.

The moral of this story? Unfinished leaks are, as Jaleel himself would put it, no good. Also, don't use save states, or you're a cheating jackass.

18. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Testing YOUR Hacks Since 2005... Member
    Emerald Hill Zone
    Looking for a Rom Hack to Test.
    Or don't expect an unfinished leak to be totally completeable?

19. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Testing YOUR Hacks Since 2005... Member
    Emerald Hill Zone
    Looking for a Rom Hack to Test.
    Id actually like to have the Megamix 3.0 soundtrack for the most part... absolutely fuckin loved some of the tunes on that version! If we do get the chance to do our own soundtracks thats what I will do :)

Of course ill give the original Soundtrack a chance 1st :)

20. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    Considering that the Megamix v3 soundtrack is mostly kept in v4, you could go through the sound test, find the game name, and then make a collection from the original VGMs...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.