don't click here

Music Remastered

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Athelstone, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    You can get VLC and forget about plugins or video codecs forever (almost).

2. Thanks for the link, very good. I'll try these when I get more time, but right now I'm getting pretty busy. I had a go on PSP Rhythm (homebrew audio sequencer for the Playstation Portable). It is very good, and so far I think I can do all the drums and bass on that, and export it as one .WAV file for mixing with the guitar licks.

I use windows sadly, but I'm OK on the drums side of things for now.

The snare drums are different in 0:33 and 1:33, I can't really explain it better without sending you something where you can only hear the snare changing. Imagine a wah effect for drums, that's the kind of difference in sound I am trying to explain. I ripped some samples from some various mp3s for my drum sounds, so I think I've managed to capture the original pitch and timbre quite well, I hope to get enough work done soon to have the time to upload some stuff. Can you recommend a way for me to upload my tracks? Thanks for your help.

3. scubaSteve

scubaSteve

Sonic 2HD - Music Coordinator Member
    OH, US
    OK... I think you're talking about the fact that the snare sounds different with each hit? In that case, all he's doing is alternating between two different samples in both examples.
    Any free filesharing site will do, e.g. zshare, rapidshare, etc. And be sure to use 320kbps OGG :(

4. Mesmonium

Mesmonium

London
    Hello All,

Im back again with a new Oil Ocean mix. This one sounds a lot better however I don't think some of the drum parts or bass are loud enough.

I used all the feedback given and thank all those who gave me feedback before.

Anyway, here is the 2nd mix of Oil Ocean
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/9crvyi

Please...more feedback needed!! Thanx

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    What Iceknight said, but Winamp should be able to play OGG out of the box. Did you download a Lite version or something?

6. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    It's so cool my girly had mistaken it for Odin's Sphere soundtrack.

In my personal tastes (sorry for my written english, lack of terms) there's only a too present "tingling" intrument and some kind of "bird" instrument which sounds strange to my ears.
    However superb work indeed Mesmonium! Leaving the expert critic to Scuba, I really smell an "Approval" here. ;)

7. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    Also, if you have Nero Burning ROM on your computer, WMP will be able to play Ogg Vorbis, just tell it to ignore the file extension and it will play. Otherwise, you can make Windows Media Player play Ogg Vorbis with the xiph DirectShow codecs. The problem is that the .ogg extension is technically deprecated for JUST audio streams. It is still in use because of the portable media players, but technically .oga is the required extension for audio only OGG files. Windows Media Player will automatically recognize .oga files, but on some computers, it will crash on .oga files. Ironically, .ogg files always work ;)

8. I like the 2nd mix, it is closer to the original, and I think there's more instruments present. I'd have to agree with Vincent about the slightly loud constant triangle, though this is in the original; and also the vinyl record scratch bird tweet sound, it adds to it but could you possibly use another more relevant or closer-to-the-original instrument or sound to get a similar effect? Maybe you could use bongos or other "ethnic" instruments? (think of the little bongo drum rolls in Uncharted: Drakes Fortune, that would be a good filler).

9. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    .oga? wtf, first I've heard of this. I guess I see the logic, but still...

10. NJDevils1087

NJDevils1087

Hoboken, NJ, USA
    Sonic2HD Music Efforts
    Hello everyone!

I have to say I'm exciting to be joining the conversation of the forums, stepping out from the shadows to help contribute to the Music aspect of Sonic 2 HD. I've been listening to all of your submissions and there is really a great deal of talent here on the Sonic Retro boards! I've been involved with music since the age of 2, playing the piano, drums, and more recently using my keyboard and FL Studio to mess around with some compositions in the trance/dance world. However, I love video game music, especially the Sonic series', and I decided that it was going to be my goal, despite my limited FL Studio knowledge, to contribute to the project more than just critiquing other works. I hope my skills will build as I work on this, and that also I can lend a helpful ear to the process, give the musical training a little workout =D

I've got a WIP on Hidden Palace Zone posted here http://personal.stevens.edu/~mdiamore/Files/ (I should warn you it's my first finished FLS project, so.... listener beware -- If you'd like it moved to a more conventional filesharing site I can do that too), if you'd like to listen, but I don't want to just put my own work out there and act like that's the only reason I'm here, so I'm going to talk briefly about the two works I listened to most recently -- ScubaSteve's Chemical Plant and Mesmonium's Oil Ocean:

Steve -- you really nailed that background! It sounds extremely spot on, and even without opening up the track mp3s I can tell you've really got it down! I agree with other comments that the melody voice is a tad off, but it still fits and I'm sure (based on hearing your previous improvements to other works) that you'll find an even more accurate one to go with a killer backing instrumentation!

Mesmonium -- Certainly an interesting backgrounding remix. The first thing that sticks out to me is that while the lead instrument sounds decently fitting, the 3-note start seems a little too blended to me, perhaps you can eliminate some reverb in the instrument to have that be clearer. The drum fill is concerning only because as a purist, that's definitely not there, at least not so predominantly in the audio. The sitar instrument also isn't the one that's supposed to staccato through the intro, it's more a muffled drum hit with a ting to it, like a light/reverbless tinker bell. However, I like the sitar twangs through the back half of the intro :eng101: In the breakdown at the back of the verse, make sure to bring out the upper register instrument as it is the same instrument that leads into the double slide scale after being an octave up from the lead the entire way through the 2nd part of the verse, and it should definitely have that feel of continuity coming in from the verse proper. All in all though, a good base to build off!

Hopefully I haven't offended or insulted anyone with my comments -- as I said I am a bit more on the purist side of these recreations, so if I can help achieve a truly remastered sound, I will!
    I look forward to working with all contributors for a great soundtrack!

11. Shanesan

Shanesan

A good beginning - got the basics down pretty decently, now to flesh it out! :argh:

12. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    Xiph.org MIME types and file extensions for Ogg container

13. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    I already read it.

It also says that .ogg will be reserved for audio files now rather than multi-usage, simply for legacy reasons, which I guess they'll pretty much have to do.

Aaaanyway.... back on topic.

14. So, here:

http://www.box.net/shared/7hqzxzpzzr

It's short, has no "guitar effects", panning, or velocity randomization.

I decided to whip out the pro synth gear and throw something together. Hopefully this won't get completely fucking ignored like what I posted from less-pro gear.

15. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    It's quite short, but from what I hear is really Cool!
    Go on ahead! ^^

16. NJDevils1087

NJDevils1087

Hoboken, NJ, USA
    Sonic2HD Music Efforts
    Oneki,

The instrument actually sounds like a really good choice for the 2nd time around through the "verse line" if you will.
    Just make sure to include the harmonization notes... they're not in the first 2 lines (which are from a different, more mellow instrument), only on the last note on the 3rd time around, and then for the full 4th bar.

17. Sorry I haven't been active for a while people, I am really busy lately with final coursework submissions looming. When all of that is out of the way, I will complete my take on Metropolis Zone with real guitars. I want to submit what I have up till now, but I think it will be much better to submit when it is completed, so it will have to wait. I recently bought a copy of computer music magazine, and it has loads of free samples and computer programs for making music, can't wait to try making some Sonic music on those too. I know this is unrelated, but I love the Sonic & Knuckles Death Egg Act 1 music, I think I will try doing that after Metropolis Zone music. I also had an idea to mix "Don't upset the Rhythm" with Sonic 2 boss battle music, as the beat is quite similar sounding, but it did not work out. Keep up the good work people!

18. scubaSteve

scubaSteve

Sonic 2HD - Music Coordinator Member
    OH, US
    I think you went a little crazy with the limiting there :P
    The whole thing is too loud now, and the lead on the second part is too loud now too. Everything else sounds more in balance though (drums especially), but the limiting squashing everything together is making it sound... well, unpleasant. Fix that and it'll sound much better. (Also, as a couple people already mentioned, the twang/ching/whatever effect on the right is distracting since it's pretty loud now.)
    Definitely pretty rough around the edges... a number of suggestions:
    - The long attack and very short release on the synth horns makes them sound very unnatural. Shortening the attack and adding some release time would probably smooth them out.
    - On the original bass part, the second of each pair of notes should be much shorter. In my interpretation, it always sounded to me like a string bass doing a crescendo-staccato pattern.
    - It sounds like the whole track is completely dry, I.e. no reverb/delays. Adding some reverb to some of the instruments would add a lot of depth to the mix, which sounds pretty flat right now.
    - The bell instrument you're using seems to have harmonics that are extremely strong - to the point where it's pretty difficult to tell what notes it's even playing. EQing down the high end might solve this, but you might just try panning it to the left - I think part of the problem might be that it's just getting lost behind everything else in the middle of the mix.
    The kick is a dead giveaway, haha.
    Unfortunately I don't think it fits at all with everything else (and it's way too loud to begin with... though coming from a mostly trance background myself I totally understand the urge for enormous kicks :D). Anyhow, thanks for all the suggestions as well, and welcome to the project!
    Judging from this very *tiny* sample I think it could sound pretty good with more work... I would especially work on doubling the rhythm guitar to flesh out a nice stereo sound.
    Don't worry, I know the feeling (final exams next week D:). Anyway, don't worry about producing stuff that's unrelated to the project... working on a variety of tracks is the one of the best ways to gain experience and make your stuff sound way better :v:

19. Ok. Here's some contribs.

First, two sax lines for Chemical Plant. Someone can mix these into their songs if they want to.

http://www.box.net/shared/0a303i8jzb
    http://www.box.net/shared/s2d7o7xqy7

Second: What happens when you play a General MIDI file on a synth that does not support GM? Well, I did that with the Sonic 2 Special Stage. The guitar/tinkle sound got mapped to a clap/percussion kit on the Orbit 3 and resulted in a pretty nifty loop. As such, I recommend it for use in a Sonic 2 Special Stage remix, or any other song running at 150BPM. It is not looped for a drum slicer, but for a standard sample track. You'll need to adjust the loop points if you use it in a slicer. It's looped as it is so the effects don't mismatch.

http://www.box.net/shared/ij16ax78uy

20. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.