don't click here

Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    Is there a good 'mid2xm'-esque program to converte custom musics to the XM or SMPS format? Also, I would like some insights about importing custom songs.

2. SephyUK

SephyUK

WHY SO CURIOUS? Member
    Qatar
    Some Freakishly Long Anime
    Your best bet would be to use Modplug Tracker, or MPTracker. Google it.

Anyway, I have a question. How would I go about fixing the sound driver when I'm working with S3K? I understand that the sound driver is at an absolute location, and by doing any edits would more than likely move the sound driver, therefore stopping it from working. Is there any way possible to make the sound drvier operate from an address that can vary or change the address after I have made edits?

3. c1owd

c1owd

Previously 'CarrascoZX0' Member
    Does anybody know how to fix broken tempo in a MIDI so it plays correctly on MPT?

4. Alriightyman

Alriightyman

I am back... from the dead! Tech Member
    Somewhere in hot, death Florida
    0101001101101111011011100110100101100011 00000010: 0101001100000011 01000101011001000110100101110100011010010110111101101110
    This may help. Besides that, I'm not too sure.

5. SephyUK

SephyUK

WHY SO CURIOUS? Member
    Qatar
    Some Freakishly Long Anime
    Wow, that's really REALLY helpful. Thanks man. :P

6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Yes, and no... there was a Java-based level editor for Sonic 2 but to be honest you're a lot better off using a split assembly, WINE, and SonED2. Unless Stealth ports it to Linux (unlikely, from what platforms his existing tools are on, though you'd have to get the final confirmation from him), this is gonna be your best bet.

7. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    SonED2 doesn't work correctly in WINE. :v:

You could use Virtual Box I guess. But that is all the Linux Sonic hacking scene needs now, is a level editor to work with the disasssemblies. =P

Also a summary of Linux programs:
    Emulator - Gens/GS
    Level editing - None. :(
    Palette Editing - Hivepal(WINE) - It opens palette files up as well as rom, didn't check to see if it saves correctly though, shouldn't see why not.
    Compressing Tools - Here
    Tile Editing programs - Haven't checked
    Music Editing - Haven't checked.

I also believe that there is a 68K compiler somewhere too.

8. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Isn't there a version of gcc that can compile 68k code, or am I imagining it?

9. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Tech Member
    Doom 32X
    I use the m68k toolchain from uclinux: clicky

Please note that the uclinux server is VERY slow! It's like dial-up. I use it in Xubuntu 8.04, but it should work in just about any linux distro.

If you're looking for a Windows gcc toolchain for m68k, try this one: directory

There are a few different versions there that vary based on whether you just want the toolchain, mingw added in, or mingw and Eclipse added in.

10. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    The Macro Assembler AS also works on Linux I believe.

11. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Tech Member
    Doom 32X
    Yes, but you need one that understands 68000 instructions. The AS that comes with an x86 linux distro would not work, for example. That's why I use the m68k uclinux toolchain - it understands the 68000 instruction set. In case people are wondering, that's a CROSS COMPILING/ASSEMBLING toolchain for x86 systems. It runs on the x86, but produces m68k code.

12. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
  13. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Build tools for Linux are available here and if you're using a Mac click here.
    I thought I uploaded them on the wiki ages ago, doesn't seem like it though. *uploads*

14. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    There's also asmx, which will build pretty much in any implementation as it runs off exclusively from the libc.

But I wouldn't recommend it after certain bug it had that fucked up a program of mine... I mean, it wrote an instruction that was one byte long, while all instructions are word-sized (2 bytes, 4 bytes, 6 bytes, etc.) ;)

15. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Tech Member
    Doom 32X
    Thanks for the clarification. AS is the name of the assembler in gcc, so you can see how it's confusing. I suppose that might be why some people call is GAS instead.

16. AndyRolo

AndyRolo

Wolverhampton, UK
    Back from working abroard. Gunna get back in to hacking then i'll start working on somthing proper.
    I know this might not be the place to ask this kind of question but I cant finds any other threads where it might be appropriate and being as this is a basic Q&A thread I thought I'd ask here. Is there any hacks for Sonic and knuckles or Sonic 3 (or Sonic 3 & Knuckles) in production as I havent seen any on the hacks page?

17. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Well you can get S3K: Master Edition here.

I think that there was another called "Sonic 3 Advanced Edition"

18. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    Well it always did bug me that S3K: Master Edition wasn't up on the wiki hack page. Give it some more exposure!

Speaking of said hack, I think many people's complaints with the level design would be solved if they just extended the time over from being 10 minutes to 20 minutes.

19. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    I have a question too.

I'm programming a fangame ( not a hack, so I don't know if it fits here. I think it does as my question is also covered by music hacking in sonic games), for Ds. I Plan to unveil it at sage, this year.

My question is about music, for the game I need .MOD files for music, but I can't find any good tunes out there, and I also want to put some classic sonic music. I know I can convert MIDI files into MOD, but they sound like shit. I know music hacks use XM files to convert 'em to SMPS, so, can anyone provide me a good site to download XM sonic music files, or tell me how to convert midi propely to MOD? XM to MOD too.
    I would also love to compose some original tunes, but I suck at that. Original sonic music will do.

20. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Well, I know you can convert .wav to .it, since I use it for Sonic Dash. I'm pretty sure you can do the same for .mod using OpenMPT or whatever it's called.