don't click here

MasterSytem sound discrepancies

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Epsilonsama, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    Recently I bought a MasterSytem, the first batch of it, the one with the puzzle.
    I notice something quite amusing, the music of shinobi, great game btw, has a higher pitch than the one in most emulators, specifically SMS plus wii and Kega also, does someone know why is this?
    Also, I like how the real hardware sounds, I always tough master system music was dull until now.

2. AamirM

AamirM

Tech Member
    Shinobi is a game that can use the onboard FM chip (YM2413) present on some Japanese SMS. Maybe that is getting enabled in the emulators. Pretty much every emulator has the option to disable that though.

Another option would be to try and run it in Regen. Turn on "SuperHQ". And make sure that "Enable YM2413" option (in System->Master System) is unchecked.

3. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

Earth
    I will check that, still it seems that without that chip the music sounds better, at least for me, is more upbeat and louder.

4. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    It might also be your TV that is making the sound appear to be different. ;)

5. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

Earth
    nope, checked with the smsplus wii, I connected both using a mono audio connection, using composite cables.

Checked this option with regen and it was this, wow im I the only one that likes how MS games sound without the YM2413.

EDIT:
    It seems Sonic 2 sound like shit with this off, so it seems some games do need it.

6. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Sonic 2 doesn't use the YM2413, so the fact that it makes a difference indicates that something's wrong with the emulator.

7. AamirM

AamirM

Tech Member
    Actaully, it should be sounding more accurate with YM2413 disabled :P .

With YM2413 enabled, everything is run at 49-ish KHz (original frequency of YM2413) and resampled to 44100.

With YM2413 disabled, PSG is oversampled 8x and resampled back 44100. This is more closer to the frequncy of PSG (which I think was 220 ish KHz).

I am talking about Regen only. Fusion doesn't have this shortcoming AFAIK.

P.S:
    I can't remember the exact frequencies off the top of my head.