don't click here

Music Remastered

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Athelstone, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    Fort Worth, Texas, USA
    Making a Full-Sized Egg Carrier in Minecraft.
    That is most definitely a saxophone in that video.

However, it is a tenor saxophone, whereas my sample is alto (higher pitched and smaller instrument). Likewise, the sax from the video is played in a much different style.

I suppose I could try a more aggressive sax sample, but I worry that it would stray too far from the original. Is the style in the video the kind that you had in mind for lead?

Also: about the harmonica-esque sound. Harmonicas and Saxophones both make noise by using air to vibrate a reed, so it's natural that they sound very similar. The exception would be that saxophones can be played in a way that uses much more air than necessary to create a very aggressive an somewhat distorted sound, as the saxophone in the video is using. Furthermore, the sound of an alto sax is naturally more smooth, so that's not helping either =P

2. DDRKhat

DDRKhat

Keep on runnin' to the finish! Member
    I'm not sure but I think the saxophone might actually be hte right instrument but at the wrong key, try transcoding it down to a deeper noise? it is the actual "light" version of it making it sound odd rather than the metallic deeper noise from actual chemical plant.

If that isn't possible, is there anyway you could digitally edit the current Sax track to sound more metallic?

3. McGuirk

McGuirk

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
    Alright, I've tried again with a tenor sax. It's at the same octave as before, but it sounds a bit different. I can do it again at a lower octave if you still want to try, but it doesn't match the original when it's that low.

Clicky

4. DDRKhat

DDRKhat

That's much better.. it still sounds partially off but it's much closer now! it's definitely that sax that's causing it to seem off-place.
    the octave could be okay, any chance you can fiddle with different saxes? You can hear the "Metallic" fashion of noise from the other instruments and the sax needs to match this.

5. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    The "Tenor Sax" sounds like an accordion.

6. Admittedly don't have much to add to this thread, but I wanted to give my kudos: It's been a while since I've checked on the music and CPZ sounds AWESOME now!

I'm in agreement that the sax sounds off (or more just like it doesn't go with everything else), but the background synth is perfect. Keep up the good work!

7. McGuirk

McGuirk

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
    Thanks for the feedback.

Many people share that viewpoint, but I'm at a bit of a loss on how to improve it. Could you go into a bit more detail about how it could be better? Or better still, provide an example of a sax that you think would sound good in CPZ's music if possible?

Or, were you perhaps thinking that the lead should be something other than a sax?

8. DDRKhat

DDRKhat

Not forgetting my helpful commentsn ow are we?

9. McGuirk

McGuirk

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
    Thank you for your feedback as well =P

I've tried a few other samples but I'm not really getting anywhere...

The same goes for you, can you provide an example of what you're describing? Or at least describe it in a lot more detail? "Metallic" is a bit ambiguous when referring to the sound of a saxophone.

10. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    The word I'd use to describe it is "tinny".

11. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Yeah, at least the latest revision could use a bit more low end.

12. McGuirk

McGuirk

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
    What?

13. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I think, as I also tried to point out, he meant to say that the sax sample lacks some decent low end, almost like it was high-pass filtered.

14. DDRKhat

DDRKhat

Exactly, muteKi. It needs to be deeper or digitally edited to have a metallic-like (reverbe?)

15. ZFG

ZFG

Norway
  16. McGuirk

McGuirk

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
    Alright, I've really boosted the low end of the sax.

This isn't perfect yet, and I need to play with the volume levels a bit (there's a bit of clipping at the end, sorry), but tell me if you like where the sax is going. Is this enough low end? Too much? You know the drill =P

CPZ10

17. DDRKhat

DDRKhat

Not too sure about the sax, I can hear it's deeper but it doesn't fit.. Taking a listen at ZFG's one, alot of it is terrible (no offense) it's a remix not a remaster like what we're aiming for. BUT. The "Sax" in his feels EXACTLY like what we're looking for in the remaster. Any chance you can pull something off with that as a guidance, McGuirk?

18. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    I would diagree with you DDRKhat. I very much enjoyed McGuirk's latest offering, with fit accounted for. The sax feels very much improved over the previous versions he's put up.

19. McGuirk

McGuirk

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
    Well, this is quite the conundrum, isn't it? First time I've had completely opposite opinions.

I need more feedback from more people. Speak up lurkers =P

Also, ZFG's sax isn't a sax. It's a sawtooth lead, and it's MIDI...

Do you really think it sounds good, DDRKhat? I mean, I could try a saw if you'd like.

20. DDRKhat

DDRKhat

I phrased that wrong. It is nice as a song itself but it is more of a remix, not a remaster. I admit to listening to it several times in loop but I wouldn't appreciate it being in the end result of S2HD. Sorry for any mis-conceptions or hurt caused.
    Doesn't hurt to give it a try, surely? you keep backups and save alternate files for each one, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.