don't click here

Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. Aeronaut

Aeronaut

Dirt Under Your Bed Zone
    Sonic: Parallel Lines
    Well fixed it. Reboot and deleting cache seem to rescue the day.
    Ignore former post.

2. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    I dumped an AVI file using Kega Fusion. When I am trying to upload it on youtube I get that at:
    After uploading the video to youtube.
    How do I actualy convert the AVI output of Kega into a regular AVI?

3. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    It's explained in the FAQ. Read them.

4. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Or for the obvious answer: convert the video using some editing program to another codec =P The program should be able to read Kega's output if the codec is installed (you should install it if you want to see it in the first place).

5. AndyRolo

AndyRolo

Wolverhampton, UK
    Back from working abroard. Gunna get back in to hacking then i'll start working on somthing proper.
    Ok. Here's the deal. I am new to this "Fan Gaming" Thing. And I need a bit of advise to get me started. My ultimate goal is to make a Sonic game from scratch by creating the character sprites and levels myself. (along the lines of Sonic XG) Where would you recommend I start? Would starting with hacks and gradually work my way up to spriting be a good idea or should I jump in at the deep end?

6. Alriightyman

Alriightyman

I am back... from the dead! Tech Member
    Somewhere in hot, death Florida
    0101001101101111011011100110100101100011 00000010: 0101001100000011 01000101011001000110100101110100011010010110111101101110
    I would start with hacks and go from there. "Jumping in at the deep end" may fustrate you and make you feel like you should quit. This link should help you at least get started. Good Luck! :)

7. AndyRolo

AndyRolo

Wolverhampton, UK
    Back from working abroard. Gunna get back in to hacking then i'll start working on somthing proper.
    Just wanna say thanks for the help. I'm now hacking and my first rom is already underway. Sonic The Hedgehog 3: Knuckles Bad Day Edition. It's genarlly Sonic 3 but bad things happen to knuckles when he decideds to show his face. Also you can play in Knuckles areas of the game as sonic but I wouldn't recommend it as there's no progression possible.

But anyway, thanks again. I wouldn't have got this far without your help.

8. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    I'm trying to use the Beta 2.00 version of the SADX PC memory editor, but whenever I open it an error window pops up that says "Run-time error '339': Component 'MSCOMCT2.OSX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid." This seems to happen to a lot of people. Can anyone help?

9. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Download the ocx file (Google) and place it in your system32 folder.

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
  11. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

That didn't work, I still get the error message. Do I have to put the .OCX file in a specific folder in System32?

12. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    I tried to port Sonic 2's Sonic sprites, super form included.

I also ported S2's Sonic_Animate routines and all that, but:

[​IMG]

It seems SonMapED cannot convert S2's sprite mappings and dplcs correctly or something.

Anyone know how I can fix this?

13. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    If its sonic 1, fix loc_D700. I think you need to replace add.b d1,d1 to add.w and after the line it subtracts something from d1, add ext.w d1. If that doesn't work, port the routine the DMA transfering (Dma_68ktoVram IIRC) also, port LoadSonicDynPLC from sonic 2. If these wont work, try using your old sonic 1 animation scripts and fix them manualy, since everytime I ported sprites from later games, the most annoying thing was animations.

14. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    Yeah I tried these methods, none of them worked... Sonic wouldn't display at all.

Maybe this is my only option? D=

15. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    No, you have to register it. Google on how to use regsvr32.

16. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

I registered it, rebooted my computer, and I'm still getting the same stubborn error message.

17. AndyRolo

AndyRolo

Wolverhampton, UK
    Is there any posts or guides on how to use the Esrael Sonic Editor because I'll be damned if I can find it. Only I need to know how to insert my own items and gimmiks rather than just moving the items that are already in the levels.

18. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Then I'm out of ideas =P Try putting the .ocx file in the same folder as the app and run it - other than that, I'm stumped.

19. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    If you are running Windows Vista, you need to run regsvr32 as an administrator. The best way to do this is to open a command prompt as admin and run this command:
    Code (Text):
    1. regsvr32 MSCOMCT2.OCX
    A message box should appear if it was registered successfully (or not).

20. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    You can't. You're limited to move objects and change the map layout.