don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    This is pretty small, and I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere at least once or twice. But the only time I've ever seen the PRESS START BUTTON used in Sonic 1 in an actual release of the game is the Mega Games 10 in 1 compilation. I've checked pretty much every compilation, and for some reason, this is the only one that actually has the PRESS START BUTTON activated:

[​IMG]

The date on the compilation is 1997, around the time the Sonic Compilation REV01 was released in the states. However, even that doesn't have the PRESS START BUTTON text activated.

If you want to check out the rom (that I literally just copy and pasted from the Mega Games 10 in 1 rom using Hex Workshop, doesn't work in an emulator probably due to the alternative boot up stuff), you can download both the rom I extracted and the Mega Games 10 in 1 rom here. Hopefully someone knows about this and is able to explain why. :P

2. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    I actually checked the Mega Games 10 in 1 ROM itself and it actually works perfectly in Fusion, game switching included o_O Maybe ROMs were edited and there isn't any bank switching at all, which would explain why the Press Start Button text appears. Makes sense, after all, wasn't it that it didn't appear due to a bug?

3. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    How does that make any sense?
    I mean, yes, it was a bug, and Sega fixing a bug doesn't make any sense :psyduck:

4. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    The bug wasn't fixed at all. The menu system running before the game made the variable have a value making the object to appear =P

5. Zero7

Zero7

(Learning) Hack - Sonic 3 & Knuckles Music Swap
    Albeit bad video quality, I found a small glitch as tails in DEZ2 that I never heard of before. Knowing this place it's probably common knowledge, but here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_At08SeSU8g

Found it on sonic mega collection a few days ago, so I recorded it.

6. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    OK, who the hell would even think in trying to fly in that area? o_O I bet that's how that glitch got unnoticed.

7. Zero7

Zero7

(Learning) Hack - Sonic 3 & Knuckles Music Swap
    I hit jump accidentally when I missed the ring box, heard the jump sound, and decided to try it. :)

8. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    I've just noticed what is actually on the Billboard in the Metal Sonic Boss Battle in Sonic X-Treme:
    [​IMG]
    It's actually just the Metal Sonic Vs Sonic art flipped and just the top half of the Japanese Sonic CD Logo, just like in this picture I made:
    [​IMG]

...I've got a good eye at looking for minor bits of detail when looking at low quality shots. =P

9. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    It's not actually flipped (what looks like a large green smudge to the right of the billboard is actually the glow around Sonic's fist), but you're right. You could almost make out the writing of the logo somewhere in the bronze smear beneath it if you tried =P

Nice find~

10. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    But the image is flipped, since Metal Sonic should actually be on the right, but on the Billboard he's on the left.

11. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    You're probably right, but I assumed you were speaking in reference to the picture you posted below, where Metal's clearly on the left.

12. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Nah, I made that. =P Just so people could get a better picture. >.<

Sorry for the confusion.

13. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG]
    If this isn't inspired by Sonic I don't know what is

[​IMG]
    apart from maybe that

but I've never seen any real blue hedgehogs or blue spikey snail-like things with noses

14. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Aha, nice find! I wonder if they are really inspired by Sonic.

15. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    The blue hedgehogs in Mario actually first show up in one or two stages in Super Mario World [1] IIRC, which was largely created to compete with Sonic, so like the shoes in DKC2 or whichever it is, I'm quite sure it's a reference.

16. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    [​IMG]
    Mabel, from animal crossing.

17. Sabel is Shadow's mom, thus, Sonic and Shadow are cousins.

True story.

18. NintendoBrad

NintendoBrad

[​IMG]

Pebbler from Secret of Mana. It has spikey blue quills, a tan body and muzzle, and even spins into a ball.

19. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    There are hedgehogs in Wario Land
    [​IMG]

20. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    There's also Lunar: Eternal Blue's Razor Wolf:
    It has an attack where it rolls into a ball that hits all party members.

[​IMG]