don't click here

Got a scanner and a S&K cartridge?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by LOst, Mar 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Do you have a cartridge that looks like this? (photo stolen from ebay)
    [​IMG]

Note how there are thick black lines surrounding each letter in the Sonic & Knuckles logo! That's what I need! If you have that cartridge and a "good" scanner, please scan the logo with high DPI resolution (300 dpi is good). And try to keep it aspect, else I don't think it is worth it.

The problem with the Knuckles text in the US/EU logo is that it has red shading around the red letters making it impossible to find the edges of the letters without guessing them. I have tried the Collection PC boxart (the EU one), the EU boxart, the US boxart. The closer you zoom, the worse it gets.
    But then I remembered that black lined logo! It's the only way really to find the edges of those letters.
    BTW, I have the first version S&K cartridge that has no black lines, so mine is useless.

Thank you in advance!

2. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Couldn't you just download the Sonic title font?

3. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    Go here if you just want a Sonic-letters font. If that's not what you want, maybe this would work?

4. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    I have the cart, I have a scanner

5. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    No, because I made it. Not only does it suck, but it was also guessed (the main thing I want to avoid).

Please help :)

6. Yeah, it's not accurate. It's a very nice attempt though.

Hey LOst for all the new Sonic fonts they use Syntax Ultra Black. I think I have an opentype copy somewhere. Interested?

Also, I think the S&K logo is high res somewhere. I know I've seen it.

7. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    My S&K cart is like that, but I don't have a scanner. =(

8. NickW

NickW

My S&K cart has a slight mark on the &, but other than that it is in good condition. I'll try and see if I can scan it later tonight.

9. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    One of the first things I did for the Sonic community back in 2000. One of the biggest problems with that font is the spacing between each letter, and the fact that many letters were guessed.

Already got all the versions of Syntax font (the news reached me from Sonic Cult. I was very happy to finally get that Japanese Sonic font's original name). The reason I need the US/EU font design is because Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles's title screens were made in the US, and based on those design.

We all know that the Syntax Black were used for the JP boxarts of Sonic 1 up to Sonic 3, so we can assume the title screen of Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 were also based of Syntax Black... But Sonic & Knuckles changed that with "Knuckles in Sonic 2" title screen.

I really believe the US/EU font were based of the title screen of Sonic 1.

But anyway, if Sonic 2 HD will ever have a Knuckles banner/logo for the title screen, I need to get the most accurate design. I was very picky with the tech demo's title screen SONIC letters which I traced myself (PicklePower did the rest).

I thought the same. I remembered I had seen it in one of the Sonic & Knuckles Collection screen saver images, but it was just the Sonic & Knuckles emblem and the release date (You can actually see the "&" design in there that was used for the logo).
    Even if I would find a high resolution or even original resource, I still have to face the red shading and I am not so sure I will see the edge of the letters.

[quote post='288264' date='Mar 10 2009, 02:54 AM']My S&K cart has a slight mark on the &, but other than that it is in good condition. I'll try and see if I can scan it later tonight.[/quote]
    Thanks! The & sign is not that important. I don't think it was changed, just taken from the font used by that release date emblem I was talking about above (in this post)

10. Ack, found what I was talking about and it was just a high res version of the emblem. Sorry. =(

11. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Pretty sure there is a modificiation of Syntax that Dioxaz made on Sonicology, modifying the letters to fit the Sonic style. And when I say pretty sure I mean I know there is and it's called SyntaxSonic.

No idea if it matches the art on the S&K cartridge, but knowing Dioxaz's attention to detail it wouldn't surprise me.

12. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    I hope this is good enough (200dpi scan from a shitty HP combine...) :

[​IMG]

13. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Sorry, it is inaccurate (for my standards) because Syntax Black doesn't use the same letter styles for "K", "U", and obviously "&". Then it is inaccurate (still for my standards) with Sonic Team's font because it is mixed of the US/EU designs. Only the "C" and "O" should have the inner spindash shape. Not the "G" and some other letters I haven't checked out. Sources: "Sonic Jam" "Sonic Cafe" "Sonic Team".

14. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    [​IMG]

15. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Thanks, but I don't see any black lines! I am lost without them. Can you see how the red shade around "KNUCKLES" is making it impossible to find the real edge of those letters?

Thank you TmEE for taking your time though, I appreciate that!

Yoshi 15, I am counting on you now! Try as high DPI as possible. Black lined logo is the only way.

EDIT: Chibisteven, lol. It is the right cartridge and logo though. If you have a scanner, it will work because I am sure it will be 99.999% aspect, but a photo :/
    I can see you tried to hold it in position :P

16. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    Actually it was scanned. I held the cartridge against the glass by applying preasure to the top part below the cover. It's just without the lid down.

17. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Yea I can see that now.

It is kinda small though, don't you think? Higher DPI is needed. With your image, I still have to guess where the edge is because it might be inbetween pixels. Thanks for scanning though!

18. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    [​IMG]

19. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
  20. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    You're welcome.

Thread Status: