don't click here

WIP General Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Oct 2, 2008.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
  2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    That Hill Top background is amazing! Forget about vertical lines—this is where it's at! :psyduck:

3. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    It also doesn't seem to overstate said vertical lines either, which is indeed quite a plus.

4. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
  5. LOst

LOst

Tech Member

XD

6. CornetTheory

CornetTheory

Voice Artist Member
    Japan
    The lines were merely my method of explaining why the tops are cracked, I started a motif with them on the first column, and went with it.

Any similarity with the dither lines in the original is purely unintentional.

That image I posted is really the whole thing, without the layers of course.

^^

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    By the way, the second rock structure never appears in the game like that, it's part of one attached to the whole other structure (I have no clue to why those were posted to begin with). Again, please be careful with these things.

You might want to assemble another version with the correct structures, in case the shading will need some touching

8. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    What we asked was to prove CornetTheory drawing ability on a complex low-res reference design. (in concept form, and not actual tilework which has not started yet.)
    No need to say the result was far than excellent. ^^

9. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Really? Are you really so concerned that it has to look 100% like the original?

The Hill Top background is the closet thing I've seen to the original inspiration picture that has come out of this project. When I look at it, I think Hill Top. I don't look at it and say "That rock structure is completely different from the pixels in the original Sonic 2. The fun is dead, this background ruined everything"

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    And I don't think anybody would do that... It's just that this project is aiming to enhance the original experience the game offered, rather than altering it. That way, it's bound to please the most part of the fanbase that grew up with this game, since most of the design decisions are based on those already made back in the day, rather than personal preferences that may or may not be liked by some people.

In this case, it's just a matter of cutting one chunk of it and pasting in another place. Then, it would look just like the original, only a lot better.

11. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    WOW That HTZ background is breathtaking! REALLY thats an amazing job you have done there :D

12. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    We're talking about fucking rocks for fucks sake.

13. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    That HTZ background is fucking amazing. I don't see a problem with it at all, I doubt anyone is really going to notice or care if there's a small problem about it in structure while they're playing. It gets the job done and it looks fantastic.

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    We're also talking about fucking trees, fucking clouds, fucking grass, etc, etc, all of which were already designed back in the day the way people remember them. Changing shapes and stuff would start removing parts of the nostalgia factor.

I don't see why people seem to think that rearranging the mountains could be a problem, by the way.

15. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    delete this

16. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    THIS.

17. CornetTheory

CornetTheory

Voice Artist Member
    Japan
    IceKnight, I totally understand your position on the matter and agree with it. But, the painting is just rampant creativity on my part because I was asked specifically not to worry about the tiling. I intentionally added variation to make the image look complete as a single work. I also did not want to be redundant[in the image].

For the actual game though, I'm sure we will stick to the tiles for the most part, so that the variation is mostly gone.

In the end, nobody should take the painting seriously as a final product.

18. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    In that case disregard everything I said.

19. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Not all the progress can be shown at the moment, but I'm sure this sample won't be disliked! ;)

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That's looking very nice. ;)

I know, I know... I wasn't complaining, just pointing that out.