don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Just noticed this. As you may know, you can hit Eggman when he flies away at the end of Final Zone, destroying his eggmobile. OK. But it seems you can hit him more than once, restarting (resetting) the explosion sequence. Lazy programming, anyone? =P

2. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
  3. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
  4. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    And where would this be? :argh:

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    When Sonic and Chip first walk into the mansion, there's a wide shot of the main hall from above and to the side of them, with a bunch of tables placed in the hall. The Dreamcast is sitting on one of them.

6. flarn2006

flarn2006

If you use the Action Replay level codes (found on Sonic CulT) to load a character-vs-character boss level in 2-player mode (I used Tails vs. Eggman at the ARK) and enter race mode, it activates a simple AI. The 2P character is only controlled by the CPU, and the characters will get into a fight as if they were Tails or Eggman. Once you beat the opponent (it's pretty easy; all they do is wander around and use special attacks whenever the opponent would in the boss fight, such as Chaos Control instead of Power Laser [lol]) the fight will start over without any notification other than the health bar filling up again. Oh, and by the way, the screen is split.

If my description is hard to read, just activate this Action Replay code:

Code (Text):
    1. ZC09-F7QN-ENW78
    2. Q95B-WV0J-10V85
    3. P4PN-FQ5F-BATV9
    and enter 2-player mode. Select race mode, and pick Sonic (1P) and Shadow (2P). Any two should work, but those are who I tested it with. Select any level, and then when the screen turns black, hold UP on controller 1.

7. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    Interesting; what if you do that in the last Sonic vs. Shadow battle? They wouldn't actually keep running, would they?

8. flarn2006

flarn2006

9. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    I don't know if this even constitutes as possible info, but is a lot of the Chao sound sfx in Sonic Adventure 2 sped up words or phrases in other languages?

I was listening to the Chao Race Extended Mix (5:53 -> 6:01), and I noticed the word "pretty", some pronunciation of words which sounded like French, and possibly some Japanese.

I hope this isn't silly, but it can't simply be babble can it?

10. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Thanks for the info! Having the act swap at a playable scrolling state is risky, and I got some terrible Super Sonic tests from it.

But that is not why I replied here. I have made a little video showing what happens if the act swap doesn't trigger, and what happens when it triggers way too late:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Q7-AGqKqg&fmt=18

Enjoy!

11. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    I finally found a list of the PC credits (since it wasn't actually on the wiki in the first place). So as I was adding it to the wiki, I thought it'd be interesting if you guys saw it:

Code (Text):
    1. Producer: Toshinori Asai
    2. Director: Tadashi Kuroi Programmers: Tetsuji Mukai (HIC), Hitoshi Ohta (HIC), Satoru Sugisaki {HIC), Hiroaki Ishiki (HIC), Masaaki Watabiki (HIC), Shinichi Aso (HIC)
    3. Installer Program: Kei Takashima
    4. Game Select Scene Designers: Hisato Fukumoto, Katsufumi Yoshimori
    5. Sound Coordinator: Masaru Setsumaru
    6. Sound Arrangers: Shigeaki Irie (USP), Masaaki Nishizawa (USP), Goro Takahashi (USP)
    7. Tester: Takashi Akiyama
    8. Manual&Package Producer: Kaoru Ichigozaki
    9. Manual&Package Director: Taiji Okamoto
    10. Manual&Package Designer: Yumi Noda
    11. Manual&Package Editor: Hiroya Tanaka
    12. Special Thanks To: Hirokazu Yasuhara, Hisayoshi Yoshida
    Do the sound arrangers look familiar? Not to me. :colbert:

But at least we know that Masaru Sestumaru was the sound coordinator.

12. Don't know if anyone mentioned this

Enabling Debug code in sonic 2 and holding B during the demos will make sonic start in debug mode, yielding some interesting results :psyduck:. Doesn't work in splitscreen though. =P

13. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    The opening cutscene for Sonic Unleashed is the first time we see Super Sonic standing on the ground, and not hovering like he usually does (Unless you count when he slows down in Sonic R, or catches the taxi in Sonic Riders).

14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    or Sonic 2

15. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Well, probably it is since Sonic Adventure (the second Sonic generation).

16. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    !

I wonder if this deserves it's own topic or not. But I've been going through the iPod port of Sonic the Hedgehog, and I managed to find a way to look at the graphics. I'm also going to list some other things that the other topic didn't seem to mention that I thought was interesting.

The port stores every tile (which really isn't a tile, it seems to use actual arranged sprites - at least that's what I think) that every act uses in dat files. The format goes like this:

z(zone file)
    #(zone number)
    #(act number)
    bnk(graphic bank - there's nothing else in this file besides graphics and a little bit of extra data in the beginning of every file)
    .dat - data file

An example would be z13bnk.dat - Zone 1 (Green Hill) Act 3 graphic data bank file.

Now of course, since this is a port, everyone would probably be wondering if it contains any graphic data that isn't present in the normal Genesis version. Surprisingly, I don't see (m)any extra graphics like the mobile phone port. But I did find something a little better. Since every zone loads a separate file every time for everything (graphic bank, mapping file, bg graphic file, music, etc), everything that the act needs in order to load up completely is included in several parts. Think Sonic CD but instead of having everything in one file, you have things separated in other files but still relative to what it's used for. What's surprising about the port is that I found most if not all of the unused graphics that can be found in the Genesis version, but they can be found all around the different graphic bank files. Let's take a look at Green Hill Act 3:

http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image=legs.png

Do you see what I see?

[​IMG]

The legs seem to be included in every Act 3. I do see the legs in Final Zone, but they appear to be destroyed. I even see the round recking ball being loaded in Marble Zone Act 3. Weird. Unfortunately, I don't see the little UFOs anywhere. But maybe I'm not looking hard enough. This port also seems to go with the level order of the original revision, since the file z21bnk is the graphic bank for Labyrinth Zone and not Marble Zone. Another interesting fun fact about this port is that there is a z7, which contains both the Final Zone and the End Zone. The weird thing about this is that z71 is Final Zone, and z73 is the End Zone, but where's z72? I have no idea. There's a z0, which of course is the title screen, but I don't see the PRESS START graphic anywhere. I also saw the sprites that Sonic uses to punch the air, the S/Goggles/Eggman monitors, the strange Special Stage icons, as well as other stuff.

Here's one more thing:

http://img10.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jap.png

This is where Sonic's sprites are located. You can find pretty much the monitors, the hud, Sonic, flickies, and other special effects here. The file name is gentbnk.dat. Unfortunately I can't continue further than this, because the main game executable(s) (I found two of them, weird) are encrypted with nothing visible inside.

I'm starting to wonder how on earth they ported this. Unless you've played it, you'd think that it was some crappy rewrite like Sonic GBA, but every Nook and Cranny is presented very well. Their code base, if there was any, is definitely based off the original US revision. Of course, things were tweaked here and there like the double spike death thing. I wonder if they could've used Hivebrains' disassembly as the code base? Who knows, but I love the idea of actual effort put into something like this. I was surprised to find out that Digital Eclipse and some unknown co-developer by the name of Ziggurat Interactive was actually behind this. I have no idea why Digital Eclipse decided to not emulate something this time, but I'm kinda happy they did.

Now if only the controls weren't so shitty. :psyduck:

17. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    I was flicking through the channels on the TV when I suddenly saw Michael Jackson wearing red shoes with a buckled band, after hearing Oshima's recent interview, I believe these could be the shoes he was talking about.

Bad- at around 3.55
    Bad by Michael Jackson

18. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    The quality of that video is awful and it's almost impossible to see things. But I believe you're right, nice find :o

Cap'd:
    [​IMG]

With those blue trousers and red shoes, that pic is just screaming "Sonic" all over the place.

19. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    All that continuity talk makes me wonder: where does Sonic CD fall into all this? :)

20. It happens simultaneously before and after every game in the series, of course.

I would guess the "Present" is some time before Sonic 2, though - and I keep bringing this up, even though I have absolutely no citation to support it - I could've sworn that someone, somewhere, implied that the Death Egg didn't immediately fall after Sonic 2; it just gradually fell out of orbit due to Sonic's wanton destruction and, several months later, landed on Angel Island. It wasn't an immediate transition, at least, as the manual accounts for a few days between the two games.