don't click here

Main Character Art

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    But if Chimpo's the art director of this project, wouldn't he expected us to make sprites from SCRATCH. Some of us may not be that experienced when it comes to pixel art. In other words, I think it best that Chimpo either make the sprites himself (the characters sprites that is) or that he make us to the animations of those characters sprites like those Deebs' Moderization projects back at MFZ (you must be a member of the MFS forum to get the point).

2. Matwek

Matwek

You can't really expect one person to do all the sprites then just edit them later once they're done.
    If you don't have the skill to start character sprites from scratch have a go at something easier, thats what I do. Making a start on something is better than nothing.

3. Flare

Flare

Is it me or are people wanting a more Adventure style Super Sonic? Why, I thought yous were sticking with the old school Sonic as apposed to new age Sonic.

4. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Modern Super Sonic has red eyes and all the quills turned upward. It's not that different from Classic Super Sonic at all, depending on the game you get him from.

Actually there's a few old artworks as well. Though before I dig those up, I'll say the only thing I got against Marc's is that it's a blatant S2 copy paste (or at least looks like it)

Now lesse here

[​IMG]

Not the best quality, but it's a ref for a classic Super Sonic

5. Flare

Flare

6. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Please use a classic style (Sonic 2/3) for Super Sonic.

7. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    <!--quoteo(post=284098:date=Feb 26 2009, 06:35 PM:name=nineko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nineko @ Feb 26 2009, 06:35 PM) [​IMG][/quote]

8. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

9. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    <!--quoteo(post=284144:date=Feb 27 2009, 04:23 AM:name=Aquaslash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aquaslash @ Feb 27 2009, 04:23 AM) [​IMG]

10. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Maybe we could use Cinossu's and give him green eyes. (He is supposed to look kinda like a super saiyan.)

11. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

Marc's won't fly for the sole reason that it looks straight out of S2, and Chimpo's aiming for something "different".

You'll need to recreate the look, but not that well XD

12. Yusuke

Yusuke

That Random Lurker Member
    Another thing to note, that seemingly no one noticed about Sonic 2 Super Sonic, is that his arms are beefier than normal Sonic. Just thought I'd point it out

13. Ice Sonic

Ice Sonic

Ice Cap
    No, I am not working on any hack, fanart, or website.
    Well, I have plenty of free time the next 4 days so I can try. Can you tell me what programs should I use? :v:

On the Super Sonic discussion someone should post the sprite with the Super Sonic design from S3, just to know how it looks.

14. Seeing as we are so undecided on what we want Super Sonic to look like, I drew some sketches to show everyone exactly what each of the styles actually looks like in full, not just a sprite. I have drawn 3.

-Sonic 2/3 Super Sonic Spikes: The original Hairstyle for Sonic, which I personally thinks is perfect and we shouldn't fiddle with the formula.

-New School Super Sonic Spikes: The spikes used for the Sonic Adventure Super Sonic, also very similar to the style of Shadow's spikes. This is not the Super Sonic Spikes they are using today, but I might draw the latest later.

-Kamon62's Alternative Super Sonic Spikes: My Attempt at something new. I think it looks pretty awesome. I tried to create a happy-medium in which oldschool and new school fans could sit and say 'That is what the Super Sonic I know looks like.'

So what is your opinion on the style we should use?

[​IMG]

15. Matwek

Matwek

I just use MSPaint most of the time, nice and simple. Just edit the colour pallet from the start and you can't really go wrong, you'll only be using a few colours so its not like you need all the bells and whistles of a fancy art program.
    Just make sure you don't save as a .jpeg

16. Amistat

Amistat

For the pure fact it looks the most badass, there's something about the classic style with his jagged irregular spikes.

As for Super in general, as cool as he was back in the day, he certainly has been getting some nice new effects to make him stand out. Is there any chance we'd be able to incorporate these kind of things? (I know we're going retro but not everything new is bad).
    Recently he's gained the gold aura and is much better at floating that he used to be.

Personally I'd like to see us really go to town on Super; for starters give him a full sprite sheet instead of a half assed attempt like the previous Sonic games (DUR DUR HEY I LOOK UP AND MAH SPIKES GO 'WAY! That always bugged me) but obviously that means deciding on a style first.
    Him floating instead of standing for his idle pose would be pretty cool, perhaps grasping his hands in a "world in my palm" pose when he's waiting (or even playing with a chaos emerald?).

As for Sonic's actual transformation, how about making the emeralds appear around him for a brief moment as he transforms? You jump, jump again (or whatever command we're going for) and he pauses, the emeralds appear, circle quickly then fly into him, cue bright flash and Super is unleashed on the 2D world to wreck havoc >=3

Fiiinally, insta-shield.
    It always seemed odd that when Sonic turned super in Sonic 3 he lost the ability to insta-shield. Sure it wasn't needed for defence any more but it felt strange not being able to do it. If Super got a larger flamey/energy insta-shield (say double the size of Sonic's, allowing him to take out multiple enemies in one blow) that could be a nice and fitting technique for him.

Are we going with a yellow or gold Super Sonic btw? I always got the impression he was meant to be golden originally but it did certainly vary depending on what images you looked at. He's gold now, but we're doing the retro thang so it'd be a good thing to decide as it'll effect any sort of shading on the Super sprite.

17. Adding to that, a Super Sonic Signpost and victory pose as opposed to powering down would look quite cool, imo.

18. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
  19. Vipershark

Vipershark

Personally, I like the new school look better. I think his spikes are a bit long in oldskool, but since this game is going for a retro look I guess this can't be avoided.

Yes to the gold aura, but he should only float when moving at max speed like in the Genesis games. If he's not moving he should stand.

I agree with this. He should have a FULL sprite sheet with maybe only minimal edits for level-specific poses and stuff. The floating while idle thing is a good idea though.

This is a good idea, but without the whole stopping and then transforming thing. It should still happen in a flash like in the Genesis games, and the emeralds should only briefly appear spinning around him.

I agree. Do this.

Personally, I like the gold of the new games much better than the whitish-yellow of the genesis games.

20. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom