don't click here

Why the SRB2 hate?

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Lostgame, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Seriously, SRB2 is undoubtedly the best 3D sonic game ever made - fan or otherwise. (Although I've never played Unleashed, it sure beats Adventures 1+2, Heroes, and 2k6 in terms of being an actual classic sonic game.) The level design reeks of classic Sonic, along with the graphical style. The controls might be a little iffy but it's got a great community, awesome music, and some really sweet unlockables that show off some amazing shit - they've even got an entire NiGHTS engine built in. Fuck. How could you possibly dislike this game and call yourself a sonic fan?

I'm really interested to hear what people who hate it have to say.

2. Wetflame

Wetflame

:D Banned
    This is probably why - annoying "classic" fanboys who don't realise that SRB2 out of the 3D games is the least like an actual Sonic game since it uses a very basic platform engine with no "pinball" physics. It's more like a speedy Mario game than anything. The level design might feel a little more classic since it's more systematic and less based on set pieces, but that's not necessarily a good thing. Also the fact that the game was never finished, despite the most difficult parts of it having been completed.

SRB2 is more of a Sonic Doom 2 sequel than anything. SD2 was great for it's time though.

3. Machenstein

Machenstein

There are people who hate SRB2?

4. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I was going to say, I wasn't aware it was an issue.

Yes, SRB2 has a glaring lack of loops and slopes and such, but I still find it to be an excellent game, one I'll truly enjoy when it comes out this May.

(Also, Lostgame, Unleashed on the 360/PS3 is awesome.)

5. tech3475

tech3475

I believe thats because of the engine (modified doom/id tech 1 I believe)

I thought the game was ok myself (especially compared to post sonic adventure), controls could be a problem though.

6. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Of course there's people who hate SRB2. There's people who hate fangames in general, and there's people who hate ROM hacks. There are a lot of stingy, jaded, cynical people out there who will accept nothing less than absolute perfection.

SRB2's alright. I find it sort of difficult (or at least, less than desirable) to play the game without a homing attack, though.

7. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    Personally, I've always loved SRB2, especially since I found the community. I do recall a lot of hate a good while ago, but that was back on CulT, I've not seen any since moving to s2b.
    Anyway, thanks for reminding me this exists, I'm gonna download it later now. =P

8. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    People hate SRB2 because as of lately the SRB2 community has been filled with a large amount of n00bs lately (and the few smart people get overshadowed), so they associate the fangame with that people. That's it. But SRB2 is mainly single player, much at their dismiss. And you don't have to use the master server for netgaming - you can hold private netgames with your friends. So judging the game for something completely unrelated to it is stupid really.

That's it mainly. There are people who say it sucks because it, oh, uses sprites instead of models, but those are completely ignorants of the game history really and never played it either =P

9. sonicteamUSA

sonicteamUSA

usa
    Couldn't agree more.

10. SRB2 is nothing like a traditional Sonic game. How can you even argue it's the best.

11. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    And of course, there are mods to get the game to use models, but I've never understood how to get it to work. =(

12. Wetflame

Wetflame

That's kind of generalising people just because they don't like a game or type of game though.
    ll "roll
    The lack of homing attack does make it bastard hard. Also it's worse than Heroes for Special Moves Flinging you Over the Edge syndrome.

I'm not saying it's a BAD game. If anything, it proves that a game can still feel like Sonic without full "rollcage" movement, but it definitely does play the least like a classic Sonic game. The Camera is also worse than any of the Adventure games, it's just the environments are so Sparse.

SRB2 does make we wonder what a 3D Sonic game with more systematic(I.e. less set pieces) level layout and wide open areas would be like, though.

It's almost a shame they stuck with the Doom engine. I mean the Doom engine. I can understand wanting to use Sprites, but it would nearly have been easier use something else altogether.

SRB2 mostly "Looks" like the Classic games - but again, people's memories are skewed - Sonic was never that simplistic and cartoony looking. SRB2's art, honestly is quite awful apart from the main Sonic sprite. Have you ever had a good look at the first Robotnik boss? Sonic's art style began to get gritty as early as Sonic 3. And Sonic has been darker and more grown up since SatAM. It's this kind of reactionary position that annoys me.

13. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    I hate when people keep saying that "they should switch engines". Yes, maybe it'd be good, but see, it has been in development for 11 years already. Do you know how longer it would get merely for the fact of switching engines? Like, everything would have to be redone from scratch.

14. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    SRB2 kicks @$$

SA2 is still best 3D Sonic

15. Wetflame

Wetflame

Yeah, but it might give them a fresh start and give them a better environment. They should have made the switch years ago.

16. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    I don't hate SRB2, but I don't like it as a game. The camera thing is annoying and platforming in 3D doesn't work when you can jump to anything from anywhere. Also, 2D sprites are just annoying when trying to hit things.

17. Mikel

Mikel

I started playing the game after I found it at the old SFGHQ on April 12th, 2003, the version was Demo 4.1, and to celebrate the final version of SRB2 in May. I might want to add five things from 2004-2008:

* A port of SRB2 v1.09.4 to the Mac OS X was released on December 14th, 2008 by Sappharad (Who is sonicblur), If you are a Mac OS X user, the Mac port of SRB2 v1.09.4 is recommended.

* A private beta of SRB2 v1.1 was released for SRB2's tenth anniversary on February 21st, 2008, it was released exclusively on #SRB2Fun (It was in beta testing from Late February to Early March, 2008). There were numerous netgames from the months of February, and March. All of the v1.1 netgames in the Master Server are mainly Match and CTF. The match netgames are done to test the new match system that will be used in SRB2ME. During February, people started leaking the 10th Anniversary beta to the SRB2 Message Board, and they got banned for a month for leaking the SRB2 v1.1 10th Anniversary beta.

* The many betas of SRB2 v1.09.3, which lasted from April 8th, 2006 to August 17th, 2006, during those five months, there were about fourty six v1.09.3 betas released. And the betas are usually known as Release Canidates (Starting with v1.09.3.18), every beta adds new features to SRB2, take v1.09.3.18 for example, one of the new features were the new Knuckles sprites.

* The release of SRB2 v1.09 and Mystic Realm v4 on September 11th, 2005, many people have been waiting for v1.09 and Mystic Realm v4 for a year. Here are two of the changes in v1.09, as mentioned by Mystic:

* And last but not least, SA-SRB2 (That's right, Blazehedgehog's old SRB2 mod). We last saw a release of SA-SRB2 on SAGE 8 (March, 2004), as well as a Graphics Replacement patch on July 22nd, 2004. And the most recent release is for v1.08, while it was ported to 1.09.4 by Naga (Formerly known as ree-c).

If you have a couple of responses to any of the five things I listed, let me know.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I admire SRB2. It doesn't control 100% though (Too slippery) and the level design is not quite at Sonic standards. Like people have said, it looks like classic Sonic, but that's about it. Basically, think Sonic Heroes.

Although I can't wait for the final game to come out. It will come out eventually right? I eagerly await to see what Knuckles final sprites look like (Easily the best character out of the bunch, but also the ugliest).

19. Vendettagainst

Vendettagainst

Apparently shooting kills things Member
    Because since I first found them back in 2003 they've made very little progress in making demos, or even levels. They've had 1 more single player level made in 6 years. And it's not even done yet. Wow.

Honestly, it feels too loose and the levels are too restricted to Doom type levels to make it feel like a Sonic game. The art and the music are amazingly well done, and it's not horrible or bad, I just wish they would actually put some effort into completing it.

20. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    *points to Sonic GL*

*points to Duke Nukem Forever*

Everything is solved by pointing to another games =)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.