don't click here

Old Sonic fangames

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Sik, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wetflame

Wetflame

:D Banned
    Fangaming used to be fun even though the games were kind of shit. It was still cool to check out other people's ideas and stories.

2. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    Time Attacked was pretty cool. It was one of the less-sucky Sonic fangames that was actually finished. AytaƧ's games were also pretty awesome. The Sonic Chaos Revolution series, Chaomega, and Sonic Unity are all very memorable to me. It's such a shame the latter two were never finished. If only they could all be ported to a better physics engine... If anyone's interested, you can still download his stuff at the old site. Which now reminds me, perhaps some of those games should have their own wiki articles?

If I recall, Chaomega and Sonic Unity both had some really cool concepts behind them as well, probably hinted at in the readme or something. Also, Jamie Bailey's Burrito Island or whatever was pretty fun. I wish he made a full game out of it.

EDIT: Nevermind, I lied. The old site is still up, but I get 404's whenever I try to download the games! D: Oh well, Google is your friend whatever.

3. unAWARE

unAWARE

Mmm...morphball! Member
    Southwest Michigan
    Raising my son
    Man, there was that guy who went under the Alias of TGF Team, he had some great stuff. It's too bad he never finished his remake of his first game. Sonic 2099 was the one I used to play a lot.

4. Pelord

Pelord

Warning signs for hire Oldbie
    Great, now you just put Sonic's Mega Quest into my mind... :P

Well, putting THAT game aside, I did make one contribution to the Fan Game scene back then... Knuckles Episode 1 Racer. It wasn't that great of a game, and it kept crashing... but it was claimed to be the first Sonic Fan Game (that wasn't a tech demo or engine test) to give Knuckles the ability to climb walls, as primitive as it was.

It's sequel, Knuckles Trippin', was never finished, mostly for the fact of how broken the game was, in every since of the word.

5. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    I remember that guy. He was sort of okay. I remember early on I thought he stole one of my original sprites (and I swear he did, though eventually I stopped caring).

I remember he hyped and hyped and hyped this fangame (was it Sonic 2099?) and then left. Two or three years later he came back, finished it, and released it. Except that was during the time where Sonic fangames were rapidly improving and by the time he released his game it was way below current SFGHQ standards.

Plus the graphics were like, just normal Genesis tiles with photoshop filters on them, like spotlights and stuff. I remember it looked kind of dumb.

6. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Do fangames even get released anymore? standards are so high in the clouds that unless you code in computer language for months or use the sonic worlds engine (which still requires a lot of features added) you are SoD.

Coming back and making SV2 was fun, and mainly due to needing to spend days adding lamp posts and other assortments to the worlds engine is why I decided to carry it over to the iPhone instead, as a tech demo for learning to make a platformer in code.

7. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Talking about that are you playing on doing a PC version as well since there really isn't that many people here who have an Iphone. Like I am doing with my game for the PSP I'm making it so PC users can have a go too.

8. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    It's possible, I'll be using the Unity engine and it can also output browser games as well as mac and pc. it might require time to change some code but I guess it is possible.

Just remember it's mainly for iPhone first, pc will be an afterthought.

9. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    SoD? Whatever, yeah, people keep making fangames. But new fangames simply don't get praised anymore - mainly because there are a lot so it's hard for people to remember every single fangame, so rarely we get to see new fangames being known outside their origin community (e.g. Sonic Nexus). Yesterday I tried to start making a fangame for the MD just to get the DMA fuck on me =P so I'll have to see how to fix that.

That, and I still want a fangame with a crabmeat as the final boss. Not a giant crabmeat or something fancy, but a normal crabmeat. If you used to go around Sonic Vegemite you should know what I mean - it's an ancient joke by now =P

10. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I think full Sonic fangame releases are full and far between, but outside of the realm of Sonic there's quite a few that get released, even if some of them aren't too great. Some are fantastic though.

I think it's probably got something to do with the state of SFGHQ's main site. They used to update all the time with content, and as such people were more inspired to make stuff (and seeing as SFGHQ is still probably the "heart" of Sonic fangames... well yeah). But then again that was before 360 engines became a standard. In many ways SFGHQ's main site is still the same as it was 4 years ago and I'm guessing a lot of people think that the Sonic fangaming scene is well... dead... because of it. Also because nowadays people don't expect their fangames to succeed unless it has near-perfect MegaDrive physics.

I've seen some cool things on their forums but if it wasn't for SAGE I don't think there'd be that many finished Sonic fangames about. Don't think we'll ever run out of demos though.

11. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    <!--quoteo(post=281998:date=Feb 21 2009, 10:14 AM:name=Sik)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sik @ Feb 21 2009, 10:14 AM) [​IMG]

12. Wetflame

Wetflame

Sonic's movement engine is just too complicated to recreate easily and a lot of people such as myself didn't feel comfortable using the 360 engine since the game was pretty much already built for you(plus trying to understand other people's stuff can get more difficult than anything).

The main problem is though that MMF is too crappy as it is. I mean you can't even have qualifiers in global events for fuck's sake.

13. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    I quickly learned that it is, however, faster to understand somebody else's code than it is to learn everything by yourself from the ground up.

2 or 3 years of TFH's stupid overblown development time was spent trying to figure out how Sonic's physics worked and implementing them for myself. Eventually I just gave up and started using Sonic Worlds. The game's made huge strides since that day.

14. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Trivia: Yarharhar was the first person in the community to have physics that allowed Sonic to run up walls and upside-down on ceilings. Prior to that, nobody could figure out how to do it.

15. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  16. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Knuckles Blast.

Play it.

Love it.

17. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    When Tails gets bored.

In my opinion, the pinnacle of Sonic fan games in general. I have yet to see a game match it's brilliance.

18. Mr. Ksoft

Mr. Ksoft

Fangames, despite how crappy most of them really are, are still my favorite type of Sonic fan-stuff.

I honestly lived on these from about 2000-2002 when I was young, bored, and unfazed by poor quality in these games (I honestly never noticed! Just the thought of there being Sonic games made by fans blew my mind!) SFGHQ was the first forum I ever went on. I was always checking to see if my favorite WIP projects were finished... only a few ever were (and in fact the only one I can remember off the top of my head was Sonic Time Attacked...)

But I did play through all the older stuff that was on the site then. I really enjoyed Omni Khaos / Thirdscape 1-2, the later Sonic Y2K games, Sonic Brick, When Tails Gets Bored, The Fast Revelation, and Neo Sonic 3.

I tried making my own fangames, but shortly after I started the static engine revolution came on in full force and I felt pressured to keep up with the new technology. I showed off many a project over the years, and none got finished. However, the knowledge in MMF I gained from so many years of this is now being used for more important and significant things, so fangaming is definitely important to how I've turned out.

19. Wetflame

Wetflame

I honestly wouldn't mind playing some of the better ones again.

What I loved about the games was the music, they often had cool MIDI remixes, like Omni Khaos and it's remix of Hidden Palace. I wish I could remember how to rip MIDIs.

I haven't heard that name in years. Nearly forgot it. I was one of the first people to do a tutorial on how not to get Sonic stuck in a ceiling. It was actually pretty easy.

Man, SFGHQ used to be awesome. It's a really shame what happened to it. I really disliked Smidge because he acted mature, yet made so much allowance for immaturity.

I'm wondering if

20. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    SFGHQ would probably do better if it didn't use that such dark blue and black goth style forum, and if the main website had another visual overhull and became updated more then once a month, and those posts usually end up being "sorry can't upload all now busy cya next month"

Sonic worlds seems to be the best aid to come along in a long time, but it's still a challenge to finish a game of high calibur.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.