don't click here

Sonic Megamix

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Stealth, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    Now that this has come up, I guess it's time to make it official. Recently, there was a "leak" of some Megamix material. This material contained updates made shortly AFTER Megamix's "cancellation". The reason - Megamix was only actually "cancelled" for a maximum of three days. Because the speculation and accusations have been annoying since day one, and they apparently haven't stopped to this day, we have decided to share that information, as well as what actually happened:

Something came up between me and Tweaker, and we had an argument shortly before he had to leave for the day. When he did, he left Upthorn to talk in his place. Because it was then a third-party argument, the discussion turned ugly, until Upthorn left. The next day, before I came back, Tweaker had been shown a log, and, having been under tremendous pressure during that time, decided that he couldn't deal with it, and left his departure message in the Megamix thread, leaving the project to me. When I came back, he wasn't ready to talk to me, and becoming frustrated with the situation myself, I told the rest of the team privately that I would leave so that he could take the project back. What happened instead was that he announced the project's cancellation. After having given up on the issue for a couple of days, I came back to talk to some of the rest of the group, and finally, to Tweaker. We resolved the problem, and found out that the entire thing was based purely on a complete misunderstanding. We decided to continue the project, but to keep it a secret to relieve some pressure

The situation is this - As was Tweaker's intent when he left, I am taking a more active role in this project's presentation. It's not as if this changes anything, as I've been lead programmer and co-producer since I first helped Tweaker turn this into more than a hex palette and music hack in 2004. I do remember people posting in response to the announcement that I was to become the new project leader, saying things like "That sucks. I don't think Stealth can lead this project in the right direction". Well, bite me. If I haven't screwed it up yet, I don't see how I'm going to now. The only difference is that now, Tweaker has taken a more relaxed role in development. We aren't changing staff, direction, or any of that business; you'll all just have to get used to the fact that there are and have been more people involved than you've paid very much attention to, and we've all had very important roles in development. This isn't Tweaker's fault - he tried many times to tell you in explicit detail. You've just largely not paid the fact any attention

With that said, you know how I feel about my projects, and this is no exception. It never has been, less of Tweaker's over-zealous promotion. I am protective, and I will remain so. We will do what we please with this project, and on a time-table of our own choosing. Requests and questions about release dates are annoying and pointless. There will be no further demos, or even "private" beta-tests. Fact is, Megamix was supposed to end development with "version 4" (at a later point in time), until this mess happened. There is no way we can possibly make another non-final release and keep it substantially fresh. Trust me - you'll thank us when you have much more to play with all at once than one level at the end of the game and a couple of menu text changes

This doesn't mean that there won't be occasional teaser updates. I generally don't like those, but development will be long, and some of the rest of the team just can't keep their pants on. That's why they'll be following-up with a few things to show for themselves since the "final" release, such as my addressing of the level->level load time "issue"

Finally, and this is important, we reserve the right to halt completely at any time. We owe a debt to no-one, and we don't have to publicize any newer builds. All we ask for is some decency and respect. Don't launch into actual complaints about how we choose to handle our business. Don't rip us off solely for the sake of riding off Megamix fame. Also, don't go asking for or looking for things that don't belong to you. If we hear about the leaked material, or see it being spread/used, that's it. If you want to do our jobs for us, we just won't, and when you can't handle it, you'll only have yourselves to blame

Otherwise, we will be happy to share further Megamix developments with you

2. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    I need to make that boss less exploitable :words:

3. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
  4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
  5. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Just a reminder that Shadow is AWESOME

While Chimpo made the initial sprites, I've been the one cleaning them up and making the rest from the get go. I also made this nifty load screen art that Stealth put in.

Also CDDA. Because it rocks. Yes, I'm in Extra Mode. Deal.

6. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    So you guys decided to make the announcement public? Hope you're ready for another storm of rabid fans to pester you Tweaker.

Here's to the "reopening" of the best Sonic hack out there. :D

7. c1owd

c1owd

Previously 'CarrascoZX0' Member
    Sorry about this... :words:

All I can say is: Holy shit!

8. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    Also I'm gonna make sure to remind all you up and comers who the real master of Sonic boss programming is by the time this hack is done and overwith :D

9. See? I knew this all along. Megamix didn't die. :U. I was right (for once.

10. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Except not—you just assumed it wasn't dead, which doesn't make you particularly "correct" either way.

Thanks for setting the perfect example of how not to post in this thread from now on, though! :words:

11. Tweaker Tantrums enabled, lol. Hope that has an actual effect on the game, and isn't just a dummy switch.

Also you guys should change the spike bug options to "It's a feature" and "No, it's not" :words:

12. Alriightyman

Alriightyman

I am back... from the dead! Tech Member
    Somewhere in hot, death Florida
    0101001101101111011011100110100101100011 00000010: 0101001100000011 01000101011001000110100101110100011010010110111101101110
    Awesome! I have to say that GHZ boss is BAD ASS!!!! I am glad to hear it's still being worked on. :words:

13. :words: Youuu, stop ruining my fun =P

That boss is looking snazzy! You didn't show the transition..I'm guessing it's something spectacular. Can't wait to see more.

14. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Very interesting. Will most of the FM music end up being custom as well, or will it stay the same as it was?

15. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    FM music stays as it's always been.

16. Cyberblade

Cyberblade

Can't catch me ya bastard! Member
    Ohio
    Sonic Shift
    If only you could have waited till April. Announcing this on Easter would have been priceless. :D

And you guys know how to make a grand revealing alright. A ton of awesome videos is just the way to do it. ^^ I always knew there was going to be some extra boss there in Sunny Shores, and quite the snazzy boss it is. Though I do think you ought to make it so he can't be hit as many times when you've knocked the ball back at him. Regardless of that, some real coding prowess right there.

On another note, I'm interested in seeing how many trolls I'll see have been banned by tomorrow afternoon for spamming with questions about demos and release dates without reading the opening post. People I'll gladly point and laugh at no doubt. :P

17. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I'd have done it 11 days sooner myself, for the lulz. Nice to know it's still in the works, in any case. Looks like I'll need to use another disc at some point in the future. Hopefully the old saves will still be mostly compatible.

(I recall hearing something hinting at using the RAM cart to stream data from the disc to decrease loading times.)

18. corneliab

corneliab

This is absolutely fantastic.

I'm loving the custom results/loading screens.

19. Flygon

Flygon

Well, in a few months time (hopefully), I'll have a good reason to get some more CD-R's... and get my Sega CD SRAM fixed.

Anyway, I look forwards to any future progress as usual and well, wish to the best of luck to the team.

20. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    It's pretty rad to see this officially back in action.

The new boss is interesting, but I do have a few nitpicks with it. Why would knocking his ball in to him bring him out of the water fall? If you consider the world in 3D space, it would just knock him further behind the water fall. It's also a bit weird that you have to strike the ball; you already establish in the player's mind that the ball damages them if they touch it, do you not? Without seeing the video of how to beat the boss, I know I certainly wouldn't think to hit the ball.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.