don't click here

Music Remastered

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Athelstone, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This is a medley containing a few songs:

Chemical Plant
    Boss
    Special Stage
    Intro
    Invincible
    Drown

http://www.box.net/shared/mi2kuqzf2n

The quality of the encode is ass due to the noisy ADCs in my laptop (desktop broke) and because Sound Forge's MP3 encode simply sucks.

These are heavily modified EspioKaos MIDIs rendered on a Roland SC-55. Except for the bassline in chemical plant, these are entirely General MIDI. I'm not in a position to whip out the pro gear (XV-3080, Korg TR-Rack, E-MU Orbit) right now but if enough people are interested I can try to do it.

If I can't go pro with final versions, I could probably use my SD-80...

2. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    The boss fight theme really stood out in that mix to me, great job there. If you're looking to make improvements on any of those pieces, a strong effort on that one in particular is going to yield an amazing result.

3. mario

mario

Hey! :)

Long time since my last post. I feel like doing this again.

Here's my new version of CPZ, since it is still the goal.

http://rapidshare.com/files/199771770/CPZ.mp3.html
    (I should upload it at fileden as soon as I get a new password)

I'll definitely add a synth as a lead instrument. Just give me time to find a nice one.

Actually I did it on purpose so you can carefully listen to all arrangements :v: But yeah I'm struggling with the lead. Mixing/mastering can be enhanced as well.

OGG file will be uploaded when I feel it is finished.

I hope you like it or drop a few lines describing what you feel about this version.

4. Tora

Tora

the Boss theme sounds really good so far, for just being a rough draft. the Special Stage really got to me though, in a good way.

Also, the intro's ending chime... what did you use to make that? :O

5. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

That's a different take on it than I would've imagined mario. I enjoyed what you've done with the ending transition just before the song is about to loop. I'd bring your horns to the foreground more on that. You already mentioned you're looking for a lead, so I'll hold off commentary on the rest until you've got something added; it's fairly difficult to critique what isn't there!

6. Ok, so I lied about only one non-GM sound...I notice now.

The title's ending chime is the MT-32 Square Wave patch found in the Roland SC-55. This patch can be found on almost any Sound Canvas. The software VSC does not have it. It's also the backing square wave used in the Special Stage. This square patch probably sounds different from a real MT-32.

The drone at the end of the title is a three layer sound: MT-32 Harmo Pan, GM Picked Bass, MT-32 Synth Bass 2. A final version would likely use a Roland D-50 patch (Digital Sound) as the drone.

All drum sounds in the above demo use the Roland SC-55 Standard Kit, except for the boss theme which is enhanced with the SC-55's very simple TR-808 kick. Final versions of the songs would likely use Roland R-8 drums. R-8 drums are similar but beefier. (Roland R-8. Free sample pack.)

One good bit about the SD-80 is that the GS mode has a beefier version of the brass in the above songs. I might use sounds like XV-3080 Archimede and try to work something like XV-3080 Keep :-) and XV-3080 FXM Saw Lead into Chemical Plant.

I have these sounds at my disposal as well as an E-MU Orbit 3 and Proteus 2000.

7. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    That sounds awesome! Can't wait to hear it with the lead. :)

8. http://www.box.net/shared/yrhkm065v3

Here's a second draft of the Boss theme. Right now the lead and bass are filled by a placeholder sawtooth wave. I've only recorded output from my SD-80 to get the brass and timpani. The drums are from the Roland R-8 sample pack. I need to hook up my XV-3080 to get the bass and lead sounds still.

-edit-

The brass delay might be a tad heavy.

9. ransomrath

ransomrath

Electrocker Member
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Metroid 2 first stage remix
    ok... I got to work a tad more on it tonight.

here's the second draft of Metropolis Zone WIP.

http://ransomrath.com/planetskill/metropolis.mp3

(I understand it's sounding less like the original, and I understand that won't get me inclusion in the HD project, like I wanted... but it felt more right to make the song my own.)

*edit - I fixed a few more things. Should be better now*

10. Max Firestorm

Max Firestorm

Pyrodramatic Member
    Damn, that's unbelievable. Awesome job.

11. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Wow, this is awesome, even if it sounds less than the original version. Keep it up! :)

12. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

Not true at all! When we get quality submissions like this, they need to have some way of being included. Whether it becomes the default track played without adjusting the music options will be very much up in the air until just before the final release, but we're definitely looking to have multiple versions of each song for variety's sake. In my opinion, this is right up there with Tweaker's take on MZ. The improvements that you've made are terrific. I'm not totally sold on some of the extra synths you added to differentiate it from the original, but I can see how they would fit in. This is quickly becoming a piece I'll listen to in my free time for no other reason than it's amazing.

13. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Rath's Metropolis version is consistently good, but I think a couple of things should be changed. First off, I find the random breaks in flow halfway through the song to be largely unnecessary and detrimental to the overall sound of the song. In addition, it seems you still don't have the secondary chords present in the song so the range of the lead doesn't sound so narrow.

For reference, I split up the different bits of my render back in May. If you'd like to use them for reference or whatever else, you're free to. The part you want to pay attention to specifically is the render without any guitars; the pad contains the extra range of chords I was referring to.

Download link is here. Good luck. :)

14. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    Oh god, I want this finshed, but you must do one thing. You\'re using Fifths for part of the song, where there are harmonies in the original, otherwise, this is perfect. Let me give you an example of how you can improve. Firstly in this midi is how I\'m hearing yours, then is how it could be vastly improved, just by adding harmonies.
    http://www.antony-turner.co.uk/mzimprove.mid

15. http://www.box.net/shared/01x5ee3s19

I've added a bassline, but I don't like it. The increasing resonance is nice, but it just sounds too thin for the Boss theme. I'm burned out now, but later I am going to try a different bass. I'm using hardware synths right now (without a mixer!) so I can't just change a patch.

Sorry for the hiss in the recording. This laptop with it's failtastic Realtek audio gives me a -48db noise floor on recording.

16. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
  17. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Marvellous result ransomrath.

Would you mind having your try at Aquatic Ruins Zone?

18. mario

mario

Thanks! :words:

However I reactivated my fileden account already. Here's the same song in OGG format, with a synth lead and a bit more velocity (intensity) for the brass trio in the final section.

http://www.fileden.com/getfile.php?file_pa...1956908/CPZ.ogg

Full list of instruments:

Drums
    Cabasa (percussion)
    Slap bass
    Rythym guitar (left channel) and "riffy" guitar (right channel)
    Rock organ (roughly centered)
    Trombone (right channel)
    Alto sax (roughly centered)
    Trumpet (left channel)
    Synth (lead)

19. ransomrath

ransomrath

Electrocker Member
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Metroid 2 first stage remix
    ok, so I've added the harmony line, and mixed some of the synths a little different. I suppose you guys can tell me what you think, even though I think the harmony line takes away from it. For some reason It sounds out of tune to me.

http://ransomrath.com/planetskill/metropolis.mp3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.