don't click here

New Sonic the Hedgehog Retrospective

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TheRedEye, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheRedEye

TheRedEye

Researcher
    Hi all. My company just released a Sonic the Hedgehog retrospective on YouTube about, oh...five minutes ago. This is the real deal, and includes interviews with the following people:

Naoto Ohshima
    Yuji Naka
    Hirokazu Yasuhara
    Shinobu Toyoda
    Madeline Schroeder
    Al Nilsen
    Roger Hector
    Takashi Yuda
    Akinori Nishiyama
    Yuji Uekawa
    Takashi Iizuka

I'm posting it here first because I'm excited to see how you guys pick it apart. I'd like to know what information is new, if any of the concept art in the video was previously unseen, etc. I'd also like to hear your opinions, so let's hear them! The video has a few little rough spots for Sonic nerds like us (like the "footage" used for X-Treme), but all in all, I think this turned out as good as I could have ever hoped for.

Sonic the Hedgehog GameTap Retrospective Pt. 1/4

Sonic the Hedgehog GameTap Retrospective Pt. 2/4

Sonic the Hedgehog GameTap Retrospective Pt. 3/4

Sonic the Hedgehog GameTap Retrospective Pt. 4/4

2. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Just curious, what company do you work for?

EDIT: Oh, gametap.

So far I approve so hard because this is almost exactly like Icons, and I loved that show.

3. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol

4. TheRedEye

TheRedEye

Researcher
    Apparently Sonic was inspired by Michael Jackson, Santa Claus, and Bill Clinton. I thought that was great.

5. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

The claim that the Sonic Band was removed to "americanize" sonic contradicts all we know about the Sonic Band. Frankly, I don't believe the explanation given in the video.

6. TheRedEye

TheRedEye

Researcher
    I have a question for you guys: as far as I know, this is the first time Ohshima, Naka and Yasuhara have been interviewed for the same feature, either recently or when the game was new. Is that true, or did I miss something?

7. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

are you talking about video, or print? Because I'm fairly sure they all had interviews in print.

Also, man, how can you cover NiGHTS but exclude the BEST game in the series, Sonic CD?

8. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    That was very good, I loved watching that. One comment though, you guys messed up a fact. You can't use the S&K lock on cart with Sonic 1.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yes you can, you can play that blue spheres game that they like to shove in Sonic collections.

Very good video. Reminds me of how Sonic's plummeted and how much they used to care about him but now they don't.

10. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Well, technically you could.

11. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Well you can, but Knuckles isn't playable. You just get Blue Spheres.

Also, this video shows exactly why new Sonic's aren't good as the old ones. The Sega of now does it just to make cash on the side. They don't put their all into it like back in the day. It's not do or die for them anymore.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well actually, now a days it might be. They seem to be going on a slippery slope to death again

13. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    I can agree with this, but ever since SEGA dropped out of the console market it's obviously very tight for them to take long amounts of time and care into some of the games they create. Really, it will take a miracle or at least a very large sum of money in some form/donation to help fund the time and resources to make the Sonic game we all want.

We just have to hope eventually from the quirky and quick ideas they come up with, that one of them turn out to be the "diamond in the rough" for the franchise. Unleashed was a step in the right direction, Werehog and insane amounts of speed aside.

14. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I've said it before, Sega was good until Sammy started screwing with the company's structure (I recall an old "Save Our Sega" fan ad campaign from around 2004-05 or so in that regard). I think that the Unleashed team was actually given some decently free rein to do what they wanted, and it shows (even if the game is full of bullshit, it still has a distinct charm to it that the other recent games have distinctly lacked.

Cool beans, though am I correct in understanding the video doesn't actually mention Felix the Cat? I still need to see it.

Also, <3 Gametap. Just throwing that out there.

15. Cap

Cap

So nice to hear something thats not regarding how Sonic games are getting worse and worse. But instead looks at the little guys success. Afterall, he has had some bloody brilliant games. Sonic as a character is just so iconic. I mean, forget the games, people recognize the character just because of how cool he is. Though right now, Mario is ahead, hopefully one day we'll see the tables turn.

It was brilliant to see all the early sonic sketches, and to hear how the character was developed. Definitely, the rockband went for the good. But you can see early concepts came back. Such as the band, sonic underground, and Sonics girlfriend Madonna, later became Amy.

16. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    I completely agree with this. Sammy really did fuck over SEGA quite a bit, and Unleashed does have a higher and more noticeable quality to it then other recent titles. I'm wondering if the new Sonic Team will be given the same care/treatment for the next game though.

17. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

I still wish the Sega-Namco merger had gone through instead of the Sammy merger. Sega and Namco had very similar corporate philosophies, and Sega was still going to be the controlling entity.

18. NintendoBrad

NintendoBrad

Great retrospective! I would've liked to have seen Sonic CD mentioned but it was a great special nonetheless.

19. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid
  20. TheRedEye

TheRedEye

Researcher
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.