don't click here

Zone 01 : "The Mandatory Green Level"

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    Could you make them less pointy?
    I mean, it looks like you've copied them straight out of some poorly-drawn anime.

2. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    The ones from Sparkster?

3. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    You serious? Cause they aren't...

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  5. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I thought there were clouds you used in one set of old art that used them. If I'm thinking back to an older picture then feel free to forget I said anything.

6. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Everything I posted here is 100% original. :)

7. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    I improved some stuff, threw in some ideas to make it look more geometrical and fit for Sonic and I also am still not happy about the trunk particles.

[​IMG]

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I think that having more colors to work with, should just get rid of any existant dithering.

9. Jof

Jof

Scotland
    Sonic Fantasy
    I agree with ICEknight, but I also feel there's too many light colours in it. It needs more contrast, try some darker shades than the ones you've got. Take a look at the Sonic Sprite.

10. fifthelephant

fifthelephant

Wow, that sprite completely fails to capture the feeling I was going for with my sprites.

Adamis's fat palmtree would be more fitting, also those clouds have the right colours but they're way too small... I think massive white clouds would be better (think outrun-ish). Big style cumulus folks.

Just google Cumulous or Cumulonimbus to get an idea of what I mean. They're common in the tropics because they're thunderstorm clouds.

11. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    A few pages back, Chimpo mentioned that he'd like some level progression within levels, like Unleashed. While I don't think the grand changes in scenery are possible in this game (sonic moves alot slower than he does in unleashed), I do agree with the overall idea.

How about, for this level, it starts off on a beach, progresses through a forest, and ends on another beach? We could even have a boss out on the water, though that's a bit of a stretch.

12. Matwek

Matwek

the problem with ending on another beach is that it doesn't exactly leave things open for a fluid change into the next level.

13. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    At some point, your just going to need to make a map of the level. Just talking about it isn't going to design it.

14. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sure it does. Marble Garden transitions into Carnival Night zone pretty well, despite not having much correlation. Sonic could easily just run across the water to another stage.

15. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    The boss could follow Sonic in the background in the water, until Sonic reaches the point where the boss battle ensues. It could even make some obstacles for Sonic along the way while being followed from the background.

16. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Cloud 2, the one middle left is awesome, in fact they all are I love the sharp style you have given them.

17. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    The problem with doing such transitions the way they did them in Unleashed is that there's basically a single act per stage that takes you through all those places whereas if it were paced like Sonic 3 these different areas might effectively be multiple acts.

Having progression within zones is a good idea. Trying to make radical transitions within each act while also trying differentiate each one with a distinct area and style won't work too well.

18. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    That's what I said, isn't it? Or are you saying that my suggested progression is still too radical?

19. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    We don't end it at another beach. That would be stupid.

You guys need to think bigger.

20. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    How about...

beach

then forest

then harbour/fishing village. Then a boat (or a Tornado seaplane) could take Sonic to the next level.