don't click here

Main Character Art

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know fluid animation was a "Sonic Advanceish" trait.

Edit:
    That was a bit rude of myself, I apologize.

But still, this is the dumbest thing I've heard.

2. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Sonic 1 and 3 had something like 5-7 animation frames and most of those needed to be key poses to make it look right, the advance games used what felt like more and I can understand what they mean by being adventureish, but that's down to how they made sonic and his style too.

I personally hate 30 frame running animations, blaze's TFH sonic is too smooth and in a way looks cheap for example.

3. fifthelephant

fifthelephant

I'm not against bouncing quills, but they look a bit jelly. Like that other guy said I think the whole spike should bounce a bit rather than just the tips.

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Fluid animation isn't a bad thing by any means - someone did a really nice running animation a while back

But I dunno, seeing the two walking stages as they are now and the bouncing spikes and stuff just reminded me of Sonic Advance 2/3, rather than Sonic 1-3K.

5. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    I have to admit it kinda feels "chibi" and advance, too, with the boucing spikes, the big head, and the shading à la SegaSonic.

6. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Man, even I found it hard to not be an asshole about it.

Then again, I keep forgetting that the Sonic Advance titles are the worst games ever made and have no positive points whatsoever, be it in art, level design, music, or engine. Makes 2600 E.T. look like a freaking retro masterpiece.

7. fifthelephant

fifthelephant

What? Sonic Advance 1 and 2 were great... far better than rush. Maybe not as memorable as the MD games but they were still good.

8. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    (It was sarcasm.)

9. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Is it really? Just take a look at the sprite styles you're dealing with. The fact of the matter simply is that the Genny games, aside from Spinball simply weren't that fluid animation wise. One example being that Sonic's head is always straight facing forward during running, and not slightly angled like the Advance sprites.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the sprites themselves a bit. It's just stylistically, you're straying a fair bit from the others. Now whether that's good or not is up for you to decide.

10. Jof

Jof

Scotland
    Sonic Fantasy
    I don't think that Chimpo's sprites stray from classic at all, and feel that fluidity is definitely something that should be aimed at.

11. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    When I said that we are attempting to make a spiritual sequel to the original games, I meant a spiritual sequel.

Not the exact same fucking game again.

I want to make a sequel here and I also want to improve on the originals, much like Sonic Team improved their games after each sequel. Sonic 3's backgrounds are waaaaaay to fucking like, detailed maaaaaaaan. It's not even a Sonic game at all!

This bullshit about fluid animation seeming more like Sonic Advance than Sonic Genesis is stupid, and I will have none of it. If you want to have the exact same game again, get out and go make a fucking rom hack.

And the bouncing quills are staying, that's final. I want the animations to look more lively than static.

12. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    I don't care at what anyone says here, but thank you so much.

13. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Awesome. I personally think it looks pretty cool.

14. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    I'm cool with the flexing quills, hell my spring has enough flex in it :P

What I dislike right now are minor things, sonic's running feet seem to be slightly too war forward but I could just be too use to looking at my own sprite, and that sonic's face is completely movement free while his spikes move, look at my sprite again to see what I mean.

15. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Yes Diablo, I am aware of the face. I've been working and haven't had time to fix it. :(

16. fifthelephant

fifthelephant

Sarcasm doesn't always work well in text form. Also, sarcasm is arse and the main reason I don't watch friends.

I never said to remove the bounce, just apply the bounce to the whole quill rather than just the tip.

17. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Sonic CD's BGs were more detailed than Sonic 3's anyway :(

18. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    This, probably would make it look a lot better.

19. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    Have any of you even looked at the frames? His whole quills bounce, not just the tips.

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I think the main problem could be that it looks like the tips stretch, rather than just bounce.