don't click here

YM2612 Emulation with 12 Channels

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by saxman, Feb 9, 2009.

1. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    A multi-stream YM2612 player I put together in about 20 minutes as sort of a test program:

http://www.4shared.com/file/85212398/d7d97...612_Player.html

I've been to hell and back, but I wanted this to work, and by golly it works. Two YM2612 streams occur simultaneously. Play two VGM files at the same time, and you could have 10-12 FM channels instead of 5-6.

Here's what I'd like to see -- someone willing to take a song and make two VGM files out of it. Replace "YM2612_A.vgm" and "YM2612_B.vgm" with your own VGM files. These could be more complex FM songs. And it's always nice having 2 DAC's instead of 1.

There are things I'd like to see happen with this. Even if you're not going to create a greater-than-6 channel song, at least just give my little program a try for the heck of it.

BTW: Exit by pressing ESC!

2. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Seems interesting. You should mention that the vgm files need to be uncompressed, though. Many people just refer to both VGMs and VGZs as "vgm" so this can lead to confusion.

Also, sometimes I get invalid VGM data errors, I'll check with more files and I'll provide you a more detailed bug report.

3. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    12 channels is nice.

At one point, I will make some songs that use 2 MDs, and later on a Saturn with them. 10 FM channels, 4 PCM channels, 8 PSG channels... and Saturn with 32 FM/PCM channels... wohoooooo :D

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I remember Marc made some example mp3s demonstrating a concept like this before. I'm definitely interested in messing around with this if I have the time—I just hope I can find a complex enough song to import! I think me and either nineko or Puto will team up to make something sexy. Or maybe I'll compose something specifically for that channel limit! The sky's the limit. :colbert:

By the way, sorry for not replying to the PM you sent me earlier about this—I've been rather distracted. Just wanted to let you know I'm all for the idea. :argh:

Pff... that's nothing! Add on the 32x PWM channels and the Sega CD PCM channels—with CDDA also playing in the background—for optimum sound. I dare you to try and think of something more complex! =P

5. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Just the one, actually. :P I've always wanted to make an emulator (and ROM hack) that could utilise a double set of sound channels. It wasn't much, but this does use more than the standard share of FM channels for the chords and bass. :P

http://rubbish.hapisan.com/dual_md.mp3

I think I'll have a nice mess-around with this when I get home. I think I'll put Splash Woman through it, so I can prove to people it's vgm. :P

6. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Nice work, saxman. A bit off-topic, could the SMPS sound driver be modified to use 6 FM channels and 1 DAC channel? The Cube/Iwadare driver does that and that's used in some Mega Drive games.

7. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Let the consoles comunicate with a PC or something like that for even more channels. See how high can you reach that way.

8. nineko

nineko

italy
    No it doesn't. The number of channels is an hardware limitation, not software.

9. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Whoops, sorry. I was only saying from my memory, which I probably didn't take attention to much. You might as well trash the posts that I made in this topic then. :colbert:

10. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    The point is generating sounds in real time, so CDDA automatically fails at that. 32X PWM is the last thing I touch as it is AWFUL, emulators don't emulate the nice high freq carrier noise of those channels, also, what you hear on emulators is not what you can hear from real HW. MCD PCM HW can hold only 2 or 3 of my PCM samples (in the 64KB space that they get), usually my samples are over 1 second long and are 22KHz...

Key word is Synthesis here, generating sounds in real time.

11. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    I am definitely going to try this myself. Only problem is timing; what if I log one VGM a second or so after the first?

12. nineko

nineko

italy
    You get VGMtools and you trim them.

13. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member