don't click here

Super Epic Story Book Time!

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Chimpo, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    It's PC... We are using E02.

2. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    I'm just saying it would be simply awkward to have the signpost as boss in the very first zone. I like to be suprised in a game, but this is the equivelant of having the fake spike-badniks of Sonic 3 in the first level. It's just... violating.

3. Matwek

Matwek

People seem to take things far to literaly all the time. They're just concept sketches to get the idea and feel of the story across, I assume the actual cut-scenes will take place in 2D like they did in S&K

4. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    Yes, but as I said, the surprise wouldn't be as big. Try to think as someone who plays it for the first time.
    In the first level, he'll see the familiar signpost and would think "hey, nice, no danger anymore". He'll think the same in the second level BUT will be surprised to see that "innocent" sign attack him. It's like in Flying Battery Zone. Would it have worked if that cage was in Mushroom Hill?
    The first level should feel "normal" to set surprises for the players later.

5. Matwek

Matwek

It works both ways though, the first time I got to the FBZ mid-boss I was wondering why there was an egg prison and no boss so I knew something was up. So likewise if you are use to a mid-boss then sign post you may wonder why you've just come up against a sign post by itself, but if its the first time it happens in the game you might think a sign post without a boss is normal in which case the suprise will be bigger.
    Personally I have no strong feelings one way or the other about where to place the boss, just wanted to point out the alternative thinking.

EDIT: although I have always been in favour of a level involving the manufacturing of all of Robotinks traps. Those springs and spikes had to be built somewhere so imagin a storage room with stacks of spikes ready to be shipped out, malfunctioning signposts and egg prisons (like FBZ) or alternative more dangerous versions of what you are used too (could also incorporate the broken spring idea from a previous thread).

6. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Ooh, that would means spikes on an assembly line conveyor belt. I approve.

7. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Nice job there son.

8. Phoenix

Phoenix

Has really been far even as decided to use even go Member
    My idea (back when the bosses thread was up) was this:

Act 1>Signpost>Midboss>Act 2>(If three acts, add Signpost>Midboss>Act 3)>Boss>Egg Prison

Sounds strange, but it would give more of a feeling of the Midboss bridging the levels more, and also make it possible for the Signpost midboss to appear later in the game.

I love the idea, although I would like to see the broken springs in the proposed Mobius Wastes level, for which they were made. Should that level be in the game?

9. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
    After reading through this topic, I have to agree with the items stated above, especially the malfunctioning signposts. Everybody sees them as a safe haven, so surprise the player with a malfunctioning one. Spikes on a conveyor sounds like a great idea as well, adds a bit more difficulty than just 'don't drop into them'.

10. Rokkan

Rokkan

saagshgadhkagdgkdghas the animations are fullfilled of awesomeness
    And yes classic amy yes
    Also, that reminds me, some long ass time ago before you returned I submitted a classic Amy redesign for the project, because her colour scheme really sucks, so I tryied to make something new but still retro-ish.
    [​IMG]
    Not talking about the sprite quality, just the design itself.

11. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
  12. test-object

test-object

13. Rokkan

Rokkan

And what would be a 90s look?

14. test-object

test-object

[​IMG]

Okay, scrap the '90s look, the hair is fine :P
    Somehow, I remembered '90s hair differently.

15. Zorayas

Zorayas

The Littlest Oldbie Oldbie
    So let's see if I got this straight:

Knuckles - Is guarding the Master Emerald when Robotnik, Metal Sonic, and Nack attack. Nack runs off with what appears to be the Master Emerald, Angel Island falls, and Knuckles gives chase. In reality, Nack's emerald is a fake. Robotnik and Metal Sonic have taken the Master Emerald to build a fortress/superweapon around Angel Island. Knuckles catches up to Nack and fights him. Sonic and Tails show up and destroy the fake Master Emerald. By now, Angel Island is converted into Robotnik's fortress.

Sonic - Him, Tails, and Amy are chilling on the beach, when a tidal wave created by Angel Island falling ruins their vacation. They go to investigate, whereupon they discover Nack hassling Knuckles and save him by destroying the fake Master Emerald. Robotnik makes his move, Nack kidnaps Amy, and Sonic goes off to stop him. May or may not end in a fight with a roboticized Robotnik.

Tails - Follows Sonic until they are split near the end. Fights Metal Sonic.

This might be a bad idea, but maybe each character has his own boss? Sonic would fight Robotnik in a machine as per usual, Knuckles fights Nack with a new weapon of some sort, and Tails fights Metal Sonic with either a new body or some stage-related gimmick, maybe?

In reference to the new Amy design: I like it, but the legs and boots should really be shorter, as has been said. I would lose a row of buckles and have them end at her knees. The hair would look at lot less weird if the sides didn't curve outward at the end. Have it curve inward instead, maybe make her spines a little less round, and it should look a bit better.

16. synchronizer

synchronizer

This is taking place on Angel Island again? Every Megadrive/Genesis canon game has taken place on a new island or location. I would imagine that this game should follow suit.

17. Ice Sonic

Ice Sonic

Ice Cap
    No, I am not working on any hack, fanart, or website.
    Wasn't this decided a long time ago?

18. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    No.

Nowhere in the doodles or did I ever mention it takes place in Angel Island.

The first thing Knuckles does is get off Angel Island.

Angel Island is stolen and converted into a fortress by Robotnik.

Veemon pretty much got everything straight except the Metal Sonic part.

<!--quoteo(post=276693:date=Feb 6 2009, 01:37 PM:name=Ice Sonic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ice Sonic @ Feb 6 2009, 01:37 PM) [​IMG]

19. Phoenix

Phoenix

Has really been far even as decided to use even go Member
    Because Tails follows Sonic, he should only fight Metal Sonic at the end, like you suggested earlier in your post. Right?

20. Zorayas

Zorayas

The Littlest Oldbie Oldbie