don't click here

Wolf 3D on 32X !!!

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by TmEE, Feb 3, 2009.

1. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
  2. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    Holy crap yes! I'll definitely have to check this out when I get home. Hopefully he gets sound working soon, Wolf3D needs its sound effects/music. That said, many props to this guy for doing this.

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    hahahaha, that's awesome.

Reckon the dude could do a decent port of Doom after he's finished that? =P

4. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    This is very impressive. I really hope there's more 32x projects people take on as that system really could do more than we ever got to see I think.

5. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Very, VERY nice. It's not perfect (the glitchy wall textures; sluggish framerate at points; D-Pad periodically experiences a splitsecond of unresponsiveness), but Christ, it's Wolfenstein on the Genesis 32X. What's not to like?

Any way to take a full version of Wolf 3D and put it into 32X form, or will we have to make do with the Shareware game for now?

6. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Tech Member
    Doom 32X
    This is an update on the status of Wolf32X. It has been updated a number of times, and currently stands at beta 4. You can download the latest version here.

The current version comes with a README file, and it is suggested that you read it. You'll find all the controls laid out in the readme. Highlights include the ability to save the game, and an auto-map. The archive includes both the shareware version of Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny. As always, the source code is included. If anyone wishes to try compiling it themselves, I'd be happy to discuss setting up a toolchain like the one I use.

As to limitations, the current version still doesn't have music, and the FM sound effects still need a little work. It still won't reset; I have fixed that particular problem, but the version which resets hasn't been posted yet.

7. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    TmEE played it on a real 32X, but how? Megacart can't store it.

8. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    I have my own 32Mbit flashcart that I built for my MD dev purposes...

Also, latest versions are small enough to run on Megacart :psyduck:

9. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Tech Member
    Doom 32X
    Okay, here's beta 5:
    w3d-sod-sw-b5.zip

The main feature this time is mouse support. I know some folks hate using a pad in a FPS, so now you can use your mouse! :)

You do have one, right? ;)

Also, for folks who are interested in doing their own 32X homebrew, here's my latest toolchain I use for compiling Wolf32X (linux only!):
    DevKit32X-090526.7z

You need to do the following exports before you try to make the project:
    Code (Text):
    1. export GENDEV=/home/jlfenton/Tools/gendev
    2. export PATH=$GENDEV/sh2/bin:$GENDEV/m68k/bin:$GENDEV/bin:$PATH
    Naturally, you'll have to set the path to gendev above to where you copy it in your system.

10. celebi23

celebi23

Very awesome, thanks. Just out of curiosity, Chilly Willy , how difficult is it to get into 32x homebrew?

11. Insert Coin(s)

Insert Coin(s)

Broletariat Member
    ???
    IT
    32X DOOM is great. All it needs is some audioswap with the 3DO soundtrack. :eng101:

12. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    <!--quoteo(post=329933:date=Jul 13 2009, 12:48 AM:name=Insert Coin(s))--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Insert Coin(s) @ Jul 13 2009, 12:48 AM) [​IMG]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->32X DOOM is great. All it needs is some audioswap with the 3DO soundtrack. :eng101:[/QUOTE]

Which has CD quality audio. That would quadruple the game's size.

P.S. I just bought the game on 3DO a couple weeks ago. It's awesome, too bad the screen size is bollocks.

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    You can increase the screensize - it just makes the game run at like 2fps =P

14. Insert Coin(s)

Insert Coin(s)

Broletariat Member
    ???
    IT
    Which has CD quality audio. That would quadruple the game's size.

P.S. I just bought the game on 3DO a couple weeks ago. It's awesome, too bad the screen size is bollocks.
    [/QUOTE]

I never said my idea could be done.

15. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Depends on how large a single level is. There aren't any good 32X-SegaCD combination titles really, which disappoints me.

16. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Tech Member
    Doom 32X
    Not very anymore. I put out my own devkit based somewhat on the MD mini-devkit over at SpritesMind. Between that and looking at the code I use in Wolf32X, it shouldn't be much work for someone else to make a 32X game. I'm still working on my CD 32X code. That will be the next version of Wolf32X out. Then it's on to Doom.