don't click here

Who here started with Sonic 1, honestly.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Diablohead, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    We are all fans of sonic and it's the reason we post here and dig into the rom dumps for beta left overs and such, but how many of you here had Sonic 1 back in 1991 and became a fan then instead of starting with sonic 2, 3 or other genesis / saturn / dreamcast games?

I was 8 when I owned my first master system with a copy of sonic 1 for it (alex kid built in) and shortly after that I was given a megadrive for christmas with sonic 1, but before having my own I would always play the megadrive sonic 1 at my older cousins and be floored by how smooth and detailed it looked compared to my own sms copy. Once I had my own it was "the" game I would play even when I had others.

So I must have been around 9 when I owned my megadrive and sonic 1, and ever since I've loved the series. I only bring this up because I notice some people have started with S&K or Sonic 2, how do you people feel about sonic 1? It's probably why it is my favourite version out of all the 8 and 16 bit versions of sonic the hedgehog.

2. Lyrica

Lyrica

(Formerly: Donnyku) Oldbie
    Pennsylvania
    Wedding Planning
    18 years or so ago, at the age of 4, on christmas, I recieved my first gaming system the Sega Genesis Model 1. Packaged with it was Sonic the Hedgehog "Not For Resale". For years that was the only game I owned for it until Christmas of 94 when I got Sonic & Knuckles. Now two years ago my friend gave me his copy of Sonic 2. That is the story involving me and my Genesis.

3. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I was around 10 or 11; the game blew me away. Rings, loops and stuff. Awesome shit.

Of course, it wasn't as fast as the TV commercials told me, but I soon learned the levels well enough to get some real speed. Gamers who started later than this are spoilt by the spindash and shields. :3

4. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Yes, while I like the unique shields in 3 and spindash from sonic 2 they get you out of trouble too easily, sonic 1 is PURE.

5. Anthall

Anthall

Spambot Member
    Leicester, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog - The Final Showdown
    I started off with Sonic 1, which was actually a couple of years before I played the sequels.

I first remember playing it around when I was like 4-5ish at a friend's house and the speed of the game kept me amused at the game. I also loved the music of the game especially Star Light Zone and Scrap Brain Zone. It was also really colourful and looked gorgeous, especially Green Hill Zone.

I didn't actually get the game myself until a bit later, on a MegaGames 6-in-1 cartridge.

Granted, it was met with superior sequels, but Sonic 1 feels special in that it was the first Sonic game I ever played. It is also why I am a fan of both Sonic and the Megadrive today.

6. Max Firestorm

Max Firestorm

Pyrodramatic Member
    I did. Started off with an SMSII with Sonic The Hedgehog built in, then my dad got us a Mega Drive with Sonic 1 and Super Monaco Grand Prix.

Ah, if only they knew then the obsessed fanboy I was today because of those games, I don't think they'd've bothered :words:

7. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Testing YOUR Hacks Since 2005... Member
    Emerald Hill Zone
    Looking for a Rom Hack to Test.
    I was 7 years old when Sonic 1 came out. I can confirm it was the 1st Sonic game I've ever played.. I didnt get to play Sonic 2 until 1994.

8. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    I started off with Sonic 1, but I was playing on my cousin's system. He kept inviting me over so we could hang out with American women and see big American Tee-Tees, but I just wanted to play Sonic 1.

Then I got my own SEGA genesis with Sonic 2.

9. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I started with Sonic 1 on the Game Gear when I was 8 (I received it for my 8th birthday, on April 1st, 1992). I later bought Sonic 2, Chaos, Spinball, and Triple Trouble for the Game Gear.

My first experience with a Genesis game was with the Sonic & Knuckles Collection.

10. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    I started out with Sonic 1 using Sega Smash Pack 2. I was too young to play any video game really until about 1996. But, in 2000, I acquired Sega Smash Packs 1 & 2 and I played Sega Smash Pack 2 first. First thing I played was Sonic 1. It was actually because of the Smash Packs that I got "hooked" onto Sonic. This was before I discovered the "joys" of emulators so I shopped around and pretty much found the Genesis series ported to PC and Sonic CD. Until 1998, I didn't even have a computer with a CD drive, so even if I bought Sonic CD earlier, I wouldn't have been able to play it.

11. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    I started with S1. Played almost every game since. =P

12. I remember Sonic 1 and Road Rash were the first games we got for Mega Drive. I wasn't much into Road Rash until later on, but my Dad loved it. After that we got all the Sonic games for the mega drive, including a Mega CD for Sonic CD.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I started off with Sonic 2. To be honest I'm glad I did. Sonic 1 didn't wow me as much as 2 and 3 did.

14. JDAdams

JDAdams

I played (a little) Sonic 2 first, in a local Asda store, but I received S1 & S2 at the same time, for Christmas 1992. I completed Sonic 1 first, Sonic 2 took much longer!

15. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    I was introduced to both Sonic 1 and 2 at the same time, I think I played more Sonic 2 though simply because it had the 2p vs mode.

16. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    I was introduced to Sonic through Sonic 1 when my dad got a Mega Drive, and Sonic 1 was the first game on cartridge that I got for my Master System. I love them both, and even back then enjoyed the fact that they were different games.

17. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    After playing 2 and 3 of course 1 will not carry any oomph, but when it was the first time you experianced such a game sonic 1 becomes one with you and you can never split up :words:

18. Skaarg

Skaarg

When I got my Genesis we bought it off a guy my dad knew from work. So I had both Sonic 1 and 2. Eventually got the PC versions of Sonic 3 and K since the genesis versions were always hard to find or expensive. To be honest for my age Sonic 1 was a lot harder so Sonic 2 was more enjoyable since it didn't have a level like LZ Act 3. =P
    To be honest though it wasn't just the games that got me hooked on Sonic it was also that right around the time that I got my Genesis, AoStH was starting to air on TV. Which that show was just awesome.

Now though I will say I like Sonic 1 better than Sonic 2, and it's not only because I can beat it now. =P

19. Amistat

Amistat

My first taste of Sonic was at a friends house. His parents got him a Mega Drive when he was pretty young.

I remember a smaller and cuter me, staring in awe at the vivid chequerboard of green hill and instantly fell in love with not only Sonic, but gaming as a whole.

My parents got me a Mega Drive a year or two later and I instantly picked up Sonic 1.

Despite starting with number 1, I still prefer the sequels. Guess I must like being lazy and spoiled :words:

20. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I started with the sequels, at my friend's house for Sonic 2 and with S&K Collection for Sonic 3K. But Sonic 1 is still fun, it's great to pick up and play when I'm on the go, especially on my iPod. =)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.