don't click here

General Project Thread & Feedback

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    I suggested doubletapping the opposite direction before, and the way I'm hearing it, this move sounds like accepted. :v:

Democratically Accepted Moves and Properties.... lol, DAMPs:

Sonic:
    -Walljump
    -Rise up whilst spinning
    -Quick Spin

Knuckles:
    -Rhino Tackle(?)
    -Gliding
    -Wall Climbing

Any Tails suggestions next to flying, perhaps?

2. synchronizer

synchronizer

Maybe his tails could spin certain objects such as turbines with the resulting draft?

3. Ice Sonic

Ice Sonic

Ice Cap
    No, I am not working on any hack, fanart, or website.
    Killing badniks with his tail (Megamix)?

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Give him a blaster? Like that from Sonic Battle.

5. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Fix'd :v:

6. Ice Sonic

Ice Sonic

Ice Cap
    No, I am not working on any hack, fanart, or website.
    Sonic Adventure? I didn't know that. I never played the Adventure games.
    Also we should keep Knuckles's wall climb and gliding moves.

7. test-object

test-object

Of course, that speaks for itself.
    Tails carrying a blaster? Meh... gives me bad memories *cough Shadow cough*.

8. Matwek

Matwek

I don't think there's any need to come up with more moves just for the sake of it, the quick turn works as a good idea because its simple and unintrusive, you can get buy without it if you want but if you learn to use it effectively it bring a new element to the game in much the same way as the instant-shield. Like wise the 'rhino charge', although not something I would personaly like to see in the game at least it has a purpose, we know how it works and how it effects the game as its just a redesign of the spin dash.
    What we don't want to see is sonic advance style moves being stuck in all over the place just for the hell of it. Quality over quantity, why not put the effort into thinking up new and inventive ways of using the current moves we already have.

9. test-object

test-object

Tails has the potential of having great, inventive moves. At least grant him a new move, as Sonic and Knuckles got to have them too... Not rascist for Tails, are you Matwek? :P

10. Matwek

Matwek

My point is that we shouldn't give him a new move just because the others have one.
    If someone comes up with a good move then fair enough but don't do it for the sake of it. Besides as I stated before there's more then enough potential in the moves we already have, (new ways of using them or new obstacles to tackle with them), makes sence to get them perfected first.

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Just some more possibilities to discuss...

Sonic -> Change directions without losing speed -> Double tap backwards while running
    Self explanatory and already discussed.

Knuckles -> Charge attack -> Double tap forwards while running
    It would allow Knuckles to hit the enemies in front of him without having to curl up in a ball and lose speed.

Tails -> Dive attack -> Double tap forward or backwards while flying
    If Tails isn't tired enough, he would do a diving attack towards whatever direction is being pressed, and homing to the closest enemy.

There could be some sort of indicator to show when can each character activate their special move (when they're either running or flying), which could be just the border of the lives icon flashing, or something.

12. Phoenix

Phoenix

Has really been far even as decided to use even go Member
    Sounds too much like Launch Base. Also, Knuckles' rhino charge thing was originally supposed to replace the spin dash for him completely.

13. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    First, I start by saying that one of the things I liked more of the classic Sonic was that you needed only 1 button for everything.
    Jumping: 1 button.
    Spindash: 1 button.
    Fly/Glide/Insta-Shield: 1 button

I can pass (for now) on a sprite I don't like. But I will never accept any kind of moves that will require more than 4 directions and one only button.

Second, I'm not too keen on adding too many moves.
    The wall-jump can be saw as Sonic corrispective of Flying/Gliding, since it allows Sonic to reach unique areas. The quick step is an interesting move, but I'll wait for judgment when I'll see it in the game ("get-up" during the spindash, on the other hand, still gives me the impression of making the game too easy, since one of the things that prevented the Spindash abuse was the fact you could not get up)

Adding too many moves may make the game too complex (not much generally, but too much for a Sonic game). Let take a look on every move:
    Sonic:
    - Roll (press button)
    - Spindash (press down + button)
    - Insta-Shield (press button while jumping)
    - Peel-Out (press up + button)

Tails:
    - Roll (same as Sonic)
    - Spindash (same as Sonic)
    - Fly (press button while jumping)

Knuckles:
    - Roll (same as Sonic)
    - Spindash (same as Sonic)
    - Glide (press button while jumping)
    - Wall Climb (hit wall while gliding)

As you see, even if different characters have different moves, the are triggered in similar ways. If we add Wall-Jump to Sonic, for the same reasons posted before, we can try to give Tails and Knuckles some equivalents of Sonic moves.

So I thought of Tails' equivalent of the Pell-Out:
    I'll call it Tail propeller.

If the player presses up + button, Tails will start too rotate his 2 tails while standing still. What? Is the same thing as the Pell-Out? Give me a moment to explain.
    When the button is released, Tails will not only boost forward, but it will also jump. The use for this move can be different. Depending on the jump angle it can be used too jump over distant cliffs, or simply it can be a super fast jump. Tails won't roll when jumping, but it will still be able to fly during this propelled jump.
    There could also be a way so the player can control the jump angle (may be based on the direction pressed before releasing the button).

14. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    This man speaks the truth. Something I hate when I play some hacks is that each button does something entirely different. I want the controls to be like:
    • A: jump
    • B: jump
    • C: jump
    and not like:
    • A: light dash
    • B: wall kick
    • C: do a barrel roll
    • X: eat a chili dog
    • Y: throw a fireball
    • Z: all of the above

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    The funny thing being that my suggestions, which he was replying to, don't even use a single button... :eng101:

16. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    All of the above sounds pretty awesome.

17. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    face buttons will all be jump buttons. Any extra moves will be done with some fancy d-pad motion, like double tapping.

however, I am in favor of a "Eat A Chili Dog" exclusive move for Sonic, activated by A, A, Forward, B, C tapped separately and rhythmically

18. Just make it the motion for Geese Howard's Deadly Rave.

Make them work for that Chilli Dog.

19. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    Double-tapping moves would break the game. There are times when you need to vary your speed by releasing the d-pad intermittently.

20. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    That's gonna be so fun to animate, I'm up for it. :D