don't click here

DeanSatan enters the fray!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DeanSatan, Jan 15, 2009.

1. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid
    take these with LARGE grain of salt:

most companies have rules against altering the image of their characters as it relates to games. a character doesnt die, he expires or runs out of energy, not killed but vanquished. in the day there were pretty strict rules on what you could do with a character...so maybe having him disappear, frag, rez out falls into that category. only a guess. is there a large chasm (taking up a screen plus) toward the end of the game? possibly the character did fall off into the distance - but I do not recall exactly.

the numbers (I think) could have been a visual marker for areas in the bonus levels... later removed. since there aren't real visual markers of your location in the maze, this might have been an early way to tell where you are within the maze.

these are only guesses.

2. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

Were you ever consulted in regards to the Fleetway comic of Decap Attack? It was always a highlight of the old Sonic comics.

3. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Sorry of those questions were rather odd but you never know, something you might know and others don't can sometimes be very interesting even if it's only little.

One more thing, do you ever remember playing sonic 1 with the level's in the same order as the level select screen? so labrynth would have been before marble zone.

4. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid
    not to my knowledge. I didnt know there were any. :o

5. Tenniru

Tenniru

Duty Now For The Future Oldbie
    Hey, now that the eBay bidding is over... does anyone know if someone at Retro (or TSSZ, or Cult, or any Sonic community) managed to win it? It would suck if this thing disappeared into the abyss after all this.

I'm certainly late, but welcome to Retro. You are truly a kind soul for sharing all this information.

I have one question: you mentioned working with Sega in 1999. Were you still in localization at that point, and if so, did you name anything for Sonic Adventure or Chu Chu Rocket?

And you mentioned being a contractor hired by Sega after you left in 1992... aside from '99, what other times were you involved with them?

6. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid
    "still in localization..." doesnt sound right. I (edit) started as a consumer service representative. sonic adventure/chu chu rocket, no.

I designed some characters on a contract and helped to develop the sega tournament network that linked daytona 2 battle on the edge machines around the country.

RE: the time capsule 1/broken keyboard/comic, the wining bidder was in canada. time capsule 2 is in the works.

7. serpx

serpx

I was super close to purchasing it. I was about to take out my debit card, but then I decided against it for financial reasons. If you throw anymore rare toys out there Dean, I might end up buying. :psyduck:

8. Skaarg

Skaarg

I was bidding up to $40, but my bank account just won't let me go any higher than that right now I'm afraid. So congrats to whoever the winner was.

9. PorpoiseMuffins

PorpoiseMuffins

Saturday Morning Sonic
    I almost bought it the second I saw the "Buy it Now," but I had just purchased a pretty big ticket item and I couldn't bring myself to spend any more, especially since I wanted to see what else you'd be putting up :psyduck:

10. Tenniru

Tenniru

Duty Now For The Future Oldbie
    Seeing as how nobody has come up and claimed it, I have a really bad feeling that this disappeared into the hands of either a hoarder or someone far removed from the community. We really should try to stay on top of the next one.

11. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid
    if it counts for anything, you get a star by your name for having a Devo pic. if capsule 1 is found to be hoarded/outside of the community I can make adjustment to capsule 2 to include "duplicate" info. .. details to follow.

12. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Well, bear into mind collectionists literally live looking for these kinds of things, and are decided to spend any amount of money. If you really think somebody from Retro will get one of these capsules, don't have much hope unless that somebody has spare money.

13. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid

I thought about posting next time capsule information in members area... but
    fly in ointment is the auction will be public so anyone can stumble across it. besides this information is here, and why start a second thread. if there is an issue move this thread to members? :eng101:

im thinking about the following items:

(1) - Original Consumer Service/Game Councilor Manual circa 1991. 150+ pages.
    All Tips, Hints, Codes for Sega Master System and MegaDrive/Genesis Game Software titles in a 3-ring binder.
    Secrets to beating every game in the Sega library. Includes multiple drawings/doodles in the margins.

This large binder is filled with master copy game summaries that were sent to customers who called
    Sega Technical Support/Customer Service seeking advice. This is not a copy but the actual binder/book.

(1) - Copy of Original Sonic the Hedgehog Bible circa 1991. 15+ pages.
    Initial information for US version of Sega character Sonic the Hedgehog.
    Forgotten stories from the Sega library. Includes multiple (DS) notes in the margins.

(1) - Copy of Original Sonic the Hedgehog Bible circa 1991. 40+ pages.
    All information for US version of Sega character Sonic the Hedgehog.
    Most popular Sonic history from the Sega library.

These documents define the U.S. fiction of the Sega mascot Sonic the Hedgehog.

(1) - Copy of "Street Karate" game design document - 66 pages
    This is a copy of Game Specifications for Genesis - Technical document for 4M Cartridge. July 1990
    (a.k.a. Bare Knuckle/Streets of Rage)

(1) - Copy of [Heavy Nova] Game Design Document circa 1991.
    Technical and Design Specs for MegaDrive/Genesis Game Software title
    Horrible game but great level of detail as far as game documentation.

These are the actual materials used "back in the day."

any ideas? cats out of the bag I guess... any items not sold through auction will be donated... at a later date.
    auction may also say - multiple items will also be donated no sooner than 60 days after auction closes...
    something like that meaning it isnt totally exclusive. just keeping open lines of communication, being honest.
    any of these things crap? is this a horrible idea? for reference, research, and educational purposes ..its great. :colbert:

Yume didnt get the joke? .. . the keyboard was the item listed, the comic info was free .. .and legitimate.

- [)s

(mysterystadium edit)

Dan Sampson Says: Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    January 29th, 2009 at 7:05 pm

You selling some sketches?
    I would like to have them checked out.
    Wheres this laboratory located?

¿ss? ?no? ?o ?no ?l?? o? u???l no? p?p ?o? ??n? - ??d lol

(/mysterystadium edit)

14. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Are these like, documents from pre-production? If so, they'd be very interesting indeed.

15. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid
    yes.

16. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Streets of Rage documents? I think everyone here would want a copy of that.

The sonic u.s notes too, you have some nice loot there dean.

17. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid
    in thinking more about it its not a threat to anyone.
    its old information clocking in at almost 20 years.
    its for educational, informational, research purposes only.
    its is a style guide for game design documentation.
    ... a compliment to the history of a classic game
    .... example of evolution of localization/game fiction

plus its only a dialog at this point.. . a testing of the water.

18. PorpoiseMuffins

PorpoiseMuffins

Saturday Morning Sonic

*drools uncontrollably*

Hmm... I'm not sure what your plan was, but it might be good to list some of the items you mentioned separately—and group the items that are related.

19. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid

well...it might not be what you want to hear. . the Sonic specific material may have found a home and I think this is whats going first:

Yes! You can now own a piece of obscure video game history ... part 2.0: the sequel

It's... DeanSatan's 1991 Video Game Promotional (Otaku) Time Capsule #02.0

As seen here: SonicRetro

Lot includes:

(1) - Original Consumer Service/Game Councilor Manual circa 1991. 150+ pages.
    All Tips, Hints, Codes for Sega Master System and MegaDrive/Genesis Game Software titles in a 3-ring binder.
    Secrets to beating every game in the Sega library. Includes multiple drawings/doodles in the margins.

This large binder is filled with game summaries that were sent to customers who called the Sega in the 90's.
    This is the actual book used "back in the day."

(1) - Japanese Megadrive Fan Magazine - 1990
    This is a Japanese magazine featuring Megadrive software products.
    Shown are games that would soon be localized and come to the US the following year

(1) - Japanese Megadrive Fan Magazine - 1991
    This is a Japanese magazine featuring Megadrive software products.

I hope you take advantage of this unique opportunity both as a fan of obscure video game documentation...
    and fan publications. [:eng101:]

something like that. . . I think. . unless someone says this is a shitty idea. :objection: this is the odd e-bay time capsule experiment part not the support the community part. I think that part is sorted.

20. PorpoiseMuffins

PorpoiseMuffins

Saturday Morning Sonic
    Well, as long as it's in the community and someone makes some scans, I'm cool with that :v: