don't click here

Levels & Items Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sciz

Sciz

2. kezzzs

kezzzs

Looking fantastic guys - keep it up. I want to see a full release by February :D

3. Sciz

Sciz

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
  5. Sciz

Sciz

6. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    We're polishing it up by now, especially Sciz is doing wonders with the latest (not posted yet) revision.

But thanks for the suggestion ICE,

Even choosing one of these examples we provided is going to help us considerably.
    Only thanks to user feedback and relative artistic compromises S2HD has evolved into something that pleases most of the audiences.. But that happens only if you let us know what you like / dislike! ^^

7. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
    Or maybe add some subtle inclinations on the grass, so it doesn't look boringly flat. I've attached an example, but it's not so good. But the idea is explanatory.
    [​IMG]

8. Sciz

Sciz

I think I've said it before, but that sprite has come a long, long way.

What we're posting right now is just for the sake of getting the shapes and shading correct. There are literally dozens of tiles that use the grass with all sorts of variations in height and positioning. I've built the art so it'll be easy to copy, paste, and adjust for most cases.

9. T.Q.

T.Q.

Oh ok, then I have no other comment on the grass' design.

10. Sciz

Sciz

New/Old

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Blocks are still old conceptual work, background is from the tech demo, rings haven't been properly shaded and are probably the wrong size, and the shadows cast on the blocks by the grass are a cheap photoshop job.

Chances of this hitting the front page of blogs desperate for views: high.

Question of the moment: What elements of the mockup clash with the rest of the art, and why?

11. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Rings, Spring, Checkpoint, Badniks.

They're all shaded differently from Sonic and Tails.

It's like you have an animated Sonic The Hedgehog, and then some crappy gradients on everything else.

12. T.Q.

T.Q.

For me, it's the bush. It's the only 3D object, while the rest are 2D and plastic. Also, when comparing to the palmtree leaves and grass...I don't know, it doesn't blend in well (aside from blending in with the background, but I'm guessing there would be some shadows behind the bush). Like, the bush has "box" leaves, while the palmtree and grass have some sort of actual leaves.

13. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    Agreed, however, it's very possible that this problem with completely dissolve once the level is animated complete with scrolling BG. The perceived depth from that will likely cause players to overlook the exaggerated depth of the bush.

14. Metal-Geo

Metal-Geo

Toot toot Member
    It seems there's a huge contrast difference between sprites/items. (Mainly caused by the gradients, I guess)

The starpole looks too bright. The rings seem a bit too bright as well. And Tails has the color and shading of a delicious croissant.

15. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
  16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I think that gives a nice cartoony effect, and it's very possibly what the original artists seeked.

Here's the Japanese commercial, for details.

EDIT: By the way, I've just noticed that the cloud looks quite odd, like it's lost half of its shape.

17. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Well, the rings mostly, but I also have a feeling that Sonic and Tails appear to be too small.

18. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
  19. kezzzs

kezzzs

I think there is a nice 3D perspective with this mock up however I think that perhaps the bush is a little too 3D while the post looks a bit too flat. The red on the top could do with looking a little darker.

EDIT:
    Having another look - the post at the bottom is fine. It's just the top that I feel could do with a bit of a look at.

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.