don't click here

DeanSatan enters the fray!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DeanSatan, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Wow, that's pretty interesting! Indeed, the game itself has never had any code associated with these monitors, but one thing that's kind of inconsistent with that description is the fact that, in the game, art remains for the pair of goggles depicted on the goggles monitor, so it'd be reasonable to assume that the goggles monitor would place the goggles on the player. If it was meant as a "show" monitor, though, then how would Sonic have received the goggles? It's kind of confusing.

Also, while the Robotnik-before-a-boss-level deal makes sense, that doesn't explain the monitor with the "S" on it. Do you remember this monitor being placed anywhere in the games' levels at all, and if it served a similar purpose?

2. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Hey, my turn for questions.

I'm not sure if you'll be able to answer this, as this might be a question for someone who was designing the game. But do you remember a time in Sonic 2's history where this was still used in the game?

http://sonic-cult.org/dispart.php?catid=6&...d=1&artid=3

I'm talking about when Sonic runs toward a wall at high velocity that he falls back when he comes into contact. During the early stages of Sonic 2, they were considering adding this for some reason. I don't know why exactly they removed it (since it's obvious for this early in development that EVERYTHING needed more work), but I was wondering if maybe you knew who was responsible for the idea?

And something more along Sonic 1. Before the game was finishing development, you could obtain an extra life by collecting 50 rings instead of 100. Were you responsible for these kinds of changes?

Hopefully when you ment working at Sega until 1992 you were still somehow involved with Sonic 2. :\

3. serpx

serpx

Dean, I can't think of many questions for you, other than "How do you feel about the latest Sonic games?"

However, I mainly wanted to give you another thanks for even coming to these Sonic boards, and telling the "hardcore" fanbase the types of things we've been wanting to know for years. It means more than you can imagine to us -- I feel that I can speak as a whole on this matter -- and I really hope you stay in contact.

The Sonic community is a great community, and it needs people like you, it really does.

4. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid

no info on sonic-cult linkage
    no sonic 2 info - other than (I think) tails' two tails may speak to the two tales of the sonic mythos. but depending on who you ask tails may have nine tails. :argh:
    reward payout, not responsible fully... that decision took place on a phone call with the american producer while in japan. it was too easy to rack up lives as it stood and a model similar to mario was chosen. several people decided we would make it the same or better than the mario reward scheme. :)

no comment

im having a great time :) - ill always be honest in the information I deliver, I just might omit information that might put me or others at risk. I will not endanger anyone or myself in this sharing of information. cool?

subtext: im having trouble holding back. but in all honesty in a year, statute of limitations is up and I would feel more comfortable about certain very specific issues... it takes 7 years and I've got 1 left.

5. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    This makes me happy. I would like to say that we can't thank you enough for your answers to our questions, some of them quite inane. You're awesome.

6. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid

Here it is:

Dean Satan Video Game Time Crapsule #1

7. Super

Super

The ever vigilant GSWAS. Member
    Michigan
    Youtube
    We have the same Keyboard. Just thought that was laugh-worthy.

Anyway, cool stuff, but I wonder how much you'll get for that. Surely many members here would kill for stuff like that. Just from the pictures, it looks pretty cool.

8. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

I have the same one too =P

Must be a very common one eh?

9. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Hi Dean.

Thank you for explaining the big ball's crushing wall ability!

I know you might not be able to answer any more questions about Sonic 1, but it
    doesn't stop me from showing this :P

Here is a screenshot from a show called Wayne's World (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105793/):
    [​IMG]
    The planets are rotating, and they don't make much sense at all actually, more than
    taking up way too much ROM space, but we can't stop thinking about them!
    The pixel art in the corner is taken from some leftover graphics in Sonic 1 Mobile
    (official cell phone Java port), too bad it is scaled to fit the cell phone monitors
    so it might not be an exact original pixel copy.
    Why people want them to be UFOs, I have no idea, I think they are Saturnus planets.
    LOL at the planets actually being directly under the clouds!

This screenshot is from a European Megadrive commercial (I know you are an US Sega Genesis guy):
    [​IMG]
    Yet again, it doesn't make sense. The white diamond shaped mark on the red ball
    is spinning around the ball in more than one angle, which basically costs way to
    much ROM space, probably half the Sonic 1 ROM!
    Have you ever seen anything like this before?

Guess not :P
    Sonic 1 is full of mysteries.

EDIT: The wiki has this information already. I still think this video is awesome: http://www.dailymotion.com/objectifsega/vi...b-fr_videogames
    Is it possible to get it downloaded from somewhere? I want it in my Sonic 1 collection :/

10. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    I think the mystery of the UFO's are just like the real thing, we will never know :argh:

There was something I wanted to ask you last night Dean but I forgot all about it, do you remember any characters called Madonna? Human or hedgehog?

11. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    <!--quoteo(post=269325:date=Jan 17 2009, 05:35 PM:name=LOst)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LOst @ Jan 17 2009, 05:35 PM) [​IMG]
    Yet again, it doesn't make sense. The white diamond shaped mark on the red ball
    is spinning around the ball in more than one angle, which basically costs way to
    much ROM space, probably half the Sonic 1 ROM!
    Have you ever seen anything like this before?

Guess not :P
    Sonic 1 is full of mysteries.

EDIT: The wiki has this information already. I still think this video is awesome:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/objectifsega/vi...b-fr_videogames
    Is it possible to get it downloaded from somewhere? I want it in my Sonic 1 collection :/[/quote]

I thought that it was found to be added animation to the commercial (in addition to the extremely long spring in the Marble Zone clip)?

12. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid
    re: the saturns/ufos/waynes world screens - are there animated tiles in the b-plane? if so maybe the saturns are the placeholders for them. again I have no clue but if it were a sprite, its possible its placeholder for buzz bomber/flying enemy types? the screens are early versions for sure, im just throwing ideas out there.

re: the rotating sparkle on the ball blows my mind. I cant say I've seen anything like that as far as I recall. it looks to be done with an animated tile/texture and not a second sprite. the sparkle appears painted on the ball.
    looks nice though, adds depth.

(edit) I didnt want to say that it could have been added in post and an effect only found in the commercial because that would sound crazy. :argh: but since it was mention I hit "edit".

13. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid
    no sir.

14. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
  15. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    <!--quoteo(post=269351:date=Jan 17 2009, 11:17 PM:name=DeanSatan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DeanSatan @ Jan 17 2009, 11:17 PM) [​IMG]

16. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    The look on Knuckles' face says hotlinking is no good.

17. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid
    none. no clue about madonna. id never seen many of the concept images in the history until coming here.
    sally acorn/amy rose were the only female characters id ever heard of.

18. Vlcice

Vlcice

Oldbie
    If you use FlashGot in Firefox, you can download the FLV video of it.

19. PorpoiseMuffins

PorpoiseMuffins

Saturday Morning Sonic
  20. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid
    <!--quoteo(post=269450:date=Jan 17 2009, 10:26 PM:name=PorpoiseMuffins)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PorpoiseMuffins @ Jan 17 2009, 10:26 PM) [​IMG]

im really not claiming sally or anything outside of whats been said. but porker lewis is based on a tv show parker lewis speaking to dated american localization. :ohdear:

this is taken from page 11 sonic bible june 24th 1991:

"sonics main buddies are rabbit, squirrel, pig, flicky the duck, penguin chicken and seal. each comes from a large family and is playful and friendly..." so at that time they didnt have (american) names.[/quote]

Very interesting stuff. Thanks a lot.

You mentioned that you were aware of Sally. Was that just from the SatAM cartoon and the Archie comics, or did you know of her from your time at SEGA? I know it probably wasn't your area, but I'm curious whether you might have any inside knowledge of that sort of thing—how the cartoons and comics came about and SEGA's role in that.
    [/quote]

well, during my time there the character was in development, and doing so rapidly.
    the following familiar-sounding description is from a second/later version of the bible:

"sonics main buddies are johnny lightfoot, sally acorn, porker lewis, chirps, tux, flicky the bluebird, and joe sushi. each comes from a large family and is playful and friendly..."

I left probably just as sonic 2 was coming out... so its a very specific time frame.

(edit)

also, itd be nice to know when anyone is quoting me for a magazine or news portal. .. just for fun.