don't click here

Music

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix

Has really been far even as decided to use even go Member
    This has to be in there! Clinton in there is epic! And the "GO!" part, I guess I like it because LBZ is my favorite song on S3K, and it reminds me of that. Great job, and somehow it sounds a lot like Fatboy Slim (which makes it even more awesome).

Same.

2. Rokkan

Rokkan

I think that Bill Clinton repeating that over and over is quite repetitive. You should cut more his often appearance in the song. And the main instrument that plays after Bill Clinton's lines is quite ear-bleeding, if you change to something more pleasant to the ears it would be awesome.

3. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    This really reminds me of the music from Sonic Rush.

It still feels like there's one tiny element missing from this song, though. Would you mind adding some heavier percussion beats to it? It was usually those hard drum beats that made the Special Stage songs so head-bangingly fun to listen to (For example, Blue Sphere had a nice percussion effect in its song).

4. Delusphere

Delusphere

UK
    Dudes.. PLEASE! I know you'll love my music! Just give me a program with all the sonic SFX to use, and I PROMIS not to let down. Give me a chance to prove I can be a valuable member to Sonic Retro!
    If I screw up, I will even allow myself to be banned (By whoever does that) and never able to post again, thats how sure I am I wont let you down!!

5. Rokkan

Rokkan

From what I read, you need Fruity Loops studio (which is a shareware program, but just search in Pirate Bay and you may find a torrent with the program and the crack/serial) and a VOPM synthetizer, which emulates the Genesis' sound chip.

6. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    You can also use Ableton Live. Speaking of which, can someone point me to some sound banks or whatever that work with VOPM, or tell me how to get them out of the ROMs? I found a few Sonic 1-related banks and identified two (one uncertain), but the set doesn't come with percussion and they're not very loud.

7. Namagem

Namagem

USA
    There's also LMMS Which is basically a free clone of Fruity Loops.

8. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    This is a "rough draft", right? Because it does seem rather weak. Add more instrumentation, kick up the drums, make the Clinton sample less annoying (somehow), and I believe we have a winner.

9. Delusphere

Delusphere

UK
    Okay, Thanks for that. Where do I get the VOPM Synth? Also, if I screw up, can you point me in the direction of a Cracked Fruity Loops??
    I'm getting Pro Tools soon, so, will the VOPM synth work with that also - I'm new to this. I'll stop deriving from the topic after this post.

10. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    VOPM: http://www.geocities.jp/sam_kb/VOPM/
    Pro Tools won't work with VST plugins. You can use FL Studio, Ableton Live, or LMMS, depending on how much you want to learn and how much you want to pay.

A few sound banks from Sonic 1 can be found at http://www.kvraudio.com/banks.php?s=list&a...1f3f945804fe612, under the name "Authentic Instrument Rips for VOPM." However, it doesn't come with percussion. I still would like to know where to find a full set of banks from Sonic 2 and 3, including percussion.

11. Delusphere

Delusphere

UK
    Does anyone have links, or even have the Sonic 1, 2 and 3 & K sound banks, including all the samples used from all 3 entire games? And maybe even Sonic Spinball.

12. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    Awesome news, everyone. Simon Stålenhag, who made the songs I posted (watertemple, etc...) contacted me. (By the way, he's a a friend of L0st)
    We can use his songs (as long as we put him in the credits, of course)
    I asked him to register here.

13. Rokkan

Rokkan

<333
    If he does more songs specially for the project, I would cum.

14. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Fantastic development! Are we absolutely sure we want to go with the Genesis style, though? Higher quality stuff ala Sonic CD is still something I'd personally prefer unless a more Sonic-esque style of Genesis music was brought to the table. Simon's stuff was good, but it didn't really fit a Sonic game. That was the main concern.

15. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Personally, I wouldn't be against the inclusion of Megadrive/16-bit sounds in the music, but not at the detriment of a good sound. I also want vocal stabs, beats, orchestra hits and all that other funky stuff.

16. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    I'm fine with both 16-bit music and "Sonic CD style" music. The only problem may be that having some stages with one kind of music and other stages with the another may seem weird, or in the worst case may not sound good at all.

Still, I think it would be cool if the music in this game tries to combine both styles in one (it is not a good example, but some music in Unleashed have a particular retro feel in some instruments. The tracks where this is more evident are Jungle Joyride (day) and Tornado Scramble). In a similar way, the music could be a full fledged MP3 but still use 16-bit voices in their melody.

Or we could also add an option which allows the player to choose between the 2 styles.

17. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    This exactly what I was hinting at, and what I propose.

18. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    I still would like to know how to get the voices (instruments) out of Sonic 2 and S3K and into VOPM.

19. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    For me, the era is in a general style of music. Particularly the Tornado theme from Unleashed, for me that was an extremely retro feel.
    Something from the Megadrive or Saturn Era

20. I don't understand trying to put limitations on the music. SegaCD and Saturn games had CD quality music, why make things more complicated than need be?