don't click here

Sandopolis 2 with Knuckles - HOW?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TheLazenby, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheLazenby

TheLazenby

Over the past couple days, I've tried playing S3&K with Knuckles, for the first time. I'm up to Sandopolis 2, and I honestly can't figure out how the HELL to beat Knuckles' route. I'm just after the part where you have to fill the room with sand and use the block to hold the switch. I'm in a little room with an exit on the upper right, blocked by a set of spikes. I can't figure out how to pass those spikes, as gliding from the left wall took me too low, and I don't have enough rings to be Hyper.

Any help?

2. Malevolence

Malevolence

Tech Member
    You have to glide to the right from the left wall but you have to give yourself enough room for jumping off the wall without hitting the ceiling, it makes you go up high enough to get past.

3. Sokaris

Sokaris

Here is a man who stood up. Member
  4. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie

I love the part where it speeds up, I like the beat of the music that way.

I will always be forever afraid of Sandopolis Act 2. Too bad the boss doesn't live up to the same expectations though. It makes the Emerald Hill boss appear more threatening.

5. JDAdams

JDAdams

That boss actually killed me the first time around. I didn't bother hitting it given the Act 1 boss, because I was waiting for Robotnik to show up, and because I didn't want to jump on it; I got squashed into the wall eventually :-P

6. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    After all these years I still don't get why everyone gives Sandopolis Act 2 so much shit. I'm glad that's not the case in this thread, but usually when someone's discussing Sonic & Knuckles it turns into a Sandopolis bitchfest.

Is it really that difficult? I beat it when I was 9. Yeah, took me a couple tries, but even so. I don't mean to be a dick but...are we playing the same game? Is this a result of modern gamers growing further and further from the platformer genre?

7. Xkeeper

Xkeeper

lgkdfvlbjepasvdjzcvpaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Researcher
    the bone zone
    current-project-fart
    Amusing how you bring up how it always turns into a bitchfest, then go on with the exact kind of talking that would lead to that bitchfest.

And yes, it is hard. For the record I still have trouble beating it, although admittedly I probably could if I could manage to cool my temper enough because seriously fuck that level.

8. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Sandopolis 2 is awesome, Sandopolis 1 is not; this is because I do not have a map in my head for the latter.

9. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I was trying not to come off as too much of a jerk :/ I mean...I'm not like making fun of anyone who isn't able to beat it, I just...don't see why everyone sees it as so hard. I guess I was probably just that much more lenient when I was a kid, because everything was fun. Guess it's just hard for me to grasp, especially because....well, truth be told, I've always given myself a bit of a "everyone else is better than me" mentality. My gamer score is pathetic.

And by bitchfest I meant primarily "Sandopolis is bullshit", though I guess I should've been more specific. Sorry man.

10. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    Oh wow, it took me years to beat Sandopolis 2. I first got there when I was five, first beat it when I was 9. You have no idea how excited I was when I finally beat it... And then I remembered I didn't have Sonic 3 locked on so my accomplishment was for nothing. =| Actually, I now love Sandopolis. If I were to pick my top X Sonic levels from S3&K it would be higher up on the list. (Not that I could pick a top anything, I'm way too indecisive) Maybe its just nostalgia, heh.

11. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    I found it easy O.o

12. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Now Marble Garden 2 as Tails...THERE is a challenge.

oh god that boss oh god the memories oh god why oh god no the rings oh god I can't grab them back oh god what now oh god I am going to die oh god oh god

13. Super

Super

The ever vigilant GSWAS. Member
    Michigan
    Youtube
    I hate Sandopolis because I Timed out as I entered the boss arena the first time I played it. Those sand slides took me forever...

14. Toasty

Toasty

BulbaSAUR! Member
    I always get stuck on act 2 as Knuckles as well. I can eventually beat it, yeah, but I always get timed out first. I know there's a bit of a puzzle in that level (not sure if thats what the OP was refering to; I haven't played S&K for a while), but it's not impossible to beat. I agree with the lot of you though; it does take some skill and patience to get through.

15. When I started playing sonic and knuckles I was 7, 8 or 9, I remember the hardest level for me was Sandopolis. On an average even right now it takes more than 5 minutes to beat Sandopolis 2. I used to get trapped at parts when I get sonic, it was challenging. But, if you take your time and don't rush its pretty easy.

Marbel Garden 2 with tails is easy, I have never been hit when trying to hit the boss when playing tails alone.

16. I don't think the issue is with difficulty but fear. You're afraid of getting stuck in the dark, of the ghosts and the sand pits that have to fill up that if you don't pull off correctly you'll get buried in. It's a fear of lack of control. Like in water levels with air.

17. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I should note that I've never had any real problems with this level - even back in the mid 90s I was getting though, albeit with little time left and narrowly avoiding sand. Sandopolis 2 is still the worst level of S&K.

However, I suck at a sizable majority of modern games - make of that what you will. *shrugs*

18. D-Man

D-Man

the americone dream Member
    I didn't really have too much of a problem every time after the first time I've played this level. Once I figured out how to do it, it was pretty easy to me, but the first time though took me at least an hour, but then again, I was only 9 or 10. I remember getting S&K for Christmas that year and asking for Sonic 3, but not getting it. I just found out about the lock-on feature, so that sucked that I couldn't have both. I had to keep renting Sonic 3. Back then, I couldn't figure out how to get through Carnival Night 2. Kept getting stuck and timing out at the one part with the rotating thing and no path but to the bottom. Couldn't work the damn thing.

19. The only real problem I had with this level was finding the pattern to get through that maze part where you have to jump on a slide at one point to escape the loop. Once I memorized that, the rest was pretty much cake.

The other issue I had in this level was when I came in as Sonic for the 1st time. With Knuckles, you would run through a breakable wall in one room and just keep going with no issues. With Sonic, I got stuck there and it took me at least a few days to find out I had to jump on the moving block and hit the diagonal spring to keep going. I realized that block had spikes on it when playing as Knuckles, and thats why I thought that wouldn't work until I took a closer look and saw the spikes were gone.

20. TheLazenby

TheLazenby

Surprisingly, the part with the slides (where you have to get onto the left-hand slide somehow) is the easiest part of that level for me... it's just that the rest of it is incredibly difficult if I'm not Super/Hyper Sonic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.